QOTD: How Fast is Your Net Connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech-Boy

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Im the one getting ripped off! I pay a enormous amount for just 128kps (this is a fastest you can get right now), this is because I live in a remote area in central America! I am supposed to get 2mb next year for $120 dollars a month, which is very expensive, but I am looking forward to it.

G

I had 30mb/s down 3mb/s up then moved and now get about 10mb/s down and 3mb/s up. Paying about $50 a month for it.

G

11Mb/1Mb ADSL connection local in Hawaii. Speed test to CA averages around 3-6Mbps.

We need to lay another cable across the pacific again :D

I can play WOW without any trouble thank god! :D

scarpa

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I have 4Mb/s connection speed and 512kb/s download speed for 15$ a month and with free home and mobile phone subscriptions, it's from RCS$RDS.

I live in Romania.

NITROGEnarcosis

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
University internet, we have a OC 48 line coming in but I only see speed in the 5 - 10 Mb/s. Wish they would open up the throttling a bit, ping times are great though.

joex444

Distinguished
I have a 12Mbps cable connection. For the first minute or so, it peaks to about 18-24Mbps, and then stays at 12Mbps constant. 50Mbps service is available, but at a ridiculous price. So atleast the cable infrastructure around here is good for 24Mbps, proven.

I know that I'll be moving in the next few months, and it looks like FiOS is available in most of the apartments there. Only real advantage over cable is the upload speeds -- 2mbps versus cable's 768kbps. But I don't upload, so the extra 3mbps from FiOS (15mbps) is just an extra 25% bonus.

One last thing -- in the US we tend to have unrestricted download amounts. Comcast's 250GB/mo cap is one of the more notable, but still is an awful lot of data (on mere principles, I reject the notion of a 250GB/mo cap but that's another story). You'll find many of the superfast connections in other countries have pretty strict data limits, ones that you could exceed in a weekend of downloads. Just a general rule, though, I'm sure someone can find a non-US ISP with fast connections and 250GB/mo or higher data cap (or no cap!).

G

At&t U-verse. 6mb down, 1mb up. It runs pretty close to advertised rate (except the upload, runs closer to 640kb). Probably pay about $35 a month before taxes. I wanted true Fios but verizon is not here (Ohio) yet.

G

I use Cablevision and get 30Mbps down and 6Mbps up - I have never had any slow downs and never loose connections.

All for about $45 per month.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Speedtest.net reports I'm getting close to 6,000kbps down and 500kbps up. My connection is supposed to be up to 8.0mbps down and 512kbps up, but compared to others in my area with a similar plan, my actual connection speed is actually pretty fast.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Subscribe to 10/1 service at $60/mo (currently $40/mo promo price until summer), but being Charter Communications I really typically get 4/.75 service with frequent slowdowns and "hickups" (where the connection drops momentarily).

I also pay for cellular broadband, $60/mo for dialup to 2/.5 service (depending on signal) less a discount. Only 5GB/mo but it goes everywhere for me (and I have unlimited from the smartphone browser).

Do I feel ripped off? Yes and no. I am buying a luxury product and it has a luxury price, so it isn't a rip-off (especially compared to $40/mo phone + $20/mo dialup as the only alternative). However, I feel since speeds are not guaranteed and data caps are involved, the cable companies should drop all pretense of speed regulation and go to data volume plans. Throttling could be used when you hit 90% of your bandwidth and the price you pay would reflect the product you buy.

G

I have two lines one with a static ip at 32Mb paying 10$ a month and the other at 4MB at 6$ a month. Central Europe, Romania.

Status
Not open for further replies.