Your question

Vid Card Purchasing Dilemma

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 6, 2003 9:59:15 PM

Money is not really an issue (within reason), and I've decided not to wait for the release of the GF FX to possibly drop prices. These are the cards I'm considering:

(All from <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com" target="_new">NewEgg.Com</A>, which is, I must say, just plain awesome for ordering from an online retailer)

ATI Radeon 8500le <b>$72</b>
Ti4200 64MB's from:
EVGA <b>$118</b>
ChainTech <b>$120</b>
Palit Daytona <b>$121</b>
ABit <b>$121</b>
JATON <b>$123</b>
ABit w/thermal exhaust system...haha <b>$133</b>
ASUS <b>$137</b>

I have a GF2MX400 in my AXP 2000+ system at the moment...I know it is a crap card, but Palit Daytona managed to make it even weaker by using <i>64-bit SDRAM</i>, so it's even slower than other GF2MX400's (~1222 3dMark, no joke, all possible outlets of slowdown explored and solved). As a result, I'm slightly skeptical, but not completely turned off of, other Palit Daytona cards. Of course, if any other possibilities, up to $200 US, come to mind, please give me your input.

The 8500le is definitely a budget-bargain. If you're curious my system is:

Athlon XP 2000+
MSI SiS 745 Ultra 2 Mobo
256MB 2100 Crucial Micron DDR RAM
GF2 MX400 64MB (Palit Daytona) <--- not for long :cool:
WinME (bleh, I know)
350W Allied (something) PSU
60GB 7200 West. Dig. (+ 13.6GB old disk) HDD
Creative Labs Ensonique Audio PCI
Altec Lansing 2.1 speakers (I guess the sound info is pretty pointless, sorry just wanted to be somewhat complete)

Thanks as always for your knowledgeable advice, and yes I've looked long and hard at those Tom's VGA charts........I just love spending xmas money :smile: ... :cool: ... :smile:

<font color=blue>
--------------------------------------------------
Guns kill people just like spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
<font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by holyshiznit on 01/06/03 07:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : vid card purchasing dilemma

January 6, 2003 10:53:28 PM

I have two of the ATI Radeon 8500 LE 128 boards. From what I understand, these boards are suppose to be "sub par" to the Full Retail boards as far as clock speeds are concerned. I use Power Strip to overclock both of mine to 270 and 220 MHz. They perform flawlesly at those clock settings. One of my systems has the SiS 745 Chipset and an XP2000 also. The other has the new VIA400 and an XP2400. From what I can see with the VIA400 in the last week since it was first started up, save your money! That setup doesn't seem to be as fast as my XP2000 SiS745 setup! I have't benchmarked either system yet so I can't be absolutely sure on this but just from fooling with the two, the SiS chipset board seems to be a tick faster, overall, than the VIA400. Back to the Video cards though, Am I satisfied with them? Yes. Do I plan to upgrade to another faster card any time soon? No. Do I recommend buying one now? Well, I wouldn't because the newer 9700s are out and the price seems to be coming down rapidly. If the 9700 price is still too high for you, then wait another month.

UsHeR_564

"You can run, but your punk ass will only die tired!"
January 6, 2003 11:08:49 PM

I'm glad to hear that your 2000+/SiS 745 setup is fast. Thanks for the input.............and BUMP.

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>
Related resources
January 7, 2003 12:40:43 AM

If I use an MSI 745 SiS Ultra 2 mobo, is there much of an advantage to using an MSI graphics card?

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>
January 7, 2003 1:09:22 AM

Alright, thanks for the information then.

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>
January 7, 2003 2:08:13 AM

but fellow, why not save a little bit more and get a 128mb card?
January 7, 2003 2:16:33 AM

I didn't think that the 128's were better.

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>
a b U Graphics card
January 7, 2003 3:47:27 AM

IN fact, you're ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, THE 128MB VERSION IS MUCH WORSE! Most of the 64MB Radeon LE's come with 3.6ns DDR, which is speced for 275MHz but clocked at 250/250. Some cards are even clocked at 230/230, but even those are overclockable. A lot of guys who bought from Newegg claim their 128MB card is running 5ns DDR memory, which is only speced for 200MHz clock! These cards come clocked at 230/200 IIRC, and I keep warning people, but PEOPLE ARE STUPID AND DON'T LISTEN, THEY KEEP BUYING THE 5ns RAM VERSION AND RECOMMENDING IT TO OTHERS. Such people should move to the bottom of the food chain...

Anyway, if you read reviews at Newegg, you'll probably find 3.6ns 64MB cards. If you like even more speed, their OEM Full Version card SHOULD have 3.3ns memory and IS clocked at 275/275MHz STOCK.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 7, 2003 6:02:57 AM

Crashmans´s post made sense but aren´t there any "good" 128MB 8500LE´s? Since top-of-the-line games even seem to benefit from 256MB of RAM, I would rather get a 128MB over a 64MB-one.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>
January 7, 2003 3:52:26 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong (I say that a lot), but don't the 128 MB cards use slower RAM?

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>
January 8, 2003 3:42:09 PM

Well that was my question, are there any good LE´s? Ie. cards that use faster memory.

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>
January 8, 2003 6:33:58 PM

Ok I get it now. Sadly, I cannot answer that question...... I know that I would be interested in one if it existed.

<font color=blue>
<font color=blue>
!