The Real Deal on the moded 9500..read on

hellcatjr

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2002
Wether you agree with what i state matters not, this has been proven although some stated are my opinions such as what happend and why the pro version of the 9500 was released other than that this is POSSIBLE and is being done atm. So just sit tight the few who bought a non pro 128bit version of a 9500 are in luck and we are the ones who got the deal...

Ok I have been reading WAY to much BS from people, i have heard remarks that using the exact model of a 9700pcb version such an such would cost more! How it is the same ammount for them to print a bunch on the same PCB and use a tiny resistor that costs them no more then 5 cents to make and use it to cut out 4 of the pixel pipelines... this basiclly is the real DL on stuff, i will try to answer EVERY question and comment i have ever heard so far about thsi topic, this way the damn misinformed crowd will stop leaving useless posts about well how come such and such and this and that... so lets go...

(first.)
David Deed
"I think its a fake

If you think about it, adding extra render pipelines to the gpu will cost money. why would ati waste money by putting 8 pipe lines, then disabling 4 to get the 9500.

logic dictates there is no easy way around it. the 9500 is gonna be a hard clocker"

Incorrect my friend, actually Ati new this themselves but thought no one would guess that it was just a little resistor trick and flashing a bios would fix this, actually have u seen how small that resistor is! it is risky to have anyone do it who is even moderatly exp'd. Not only that but the soldering iron can damage the whole board its not something u can just pop off and do, half the people on this board think it is an easy task and trust me its not that easy.

Ok the 128bit interface people are talking about is this, its the 9500non pro which is 64mb, this one Can be moded to be a PRo9500 version u CAN NOT get a 9700 or higher out of this, the memory interface is just to low and not possible for it to achieve any fill rate near a 9700.

the 256bit version is noted by the 128bit of ram on it, there are 4 modules , two alined on the top while two along the side, these are done with 32bit modules, so 64bits one each side, they are clocked at 3.6 nanoseconds or close to that, it may be 3.3ns but i forget. Anyways this lay out is a 256bit scheme the radeon pro uses this scheme but it a slightly different way i will explain that in my explanation on the pro card =). Anyways This non pro version no longer is being sold by ati or other companys even sapphire has switched to the pro version , my reason is that ati caught on that we found out there way to make their production costs cheaper. But not only this they DID NOT STRIP THE 4 OTHER PIXEL PIPELINES OFF THE BOARD!! ThIS WOULD CAUSE FOR A WHOLE NEW ASSEMBLY LINE WHICH WOULD COST WAY MORE THEN JUST USING A RESISTOR TO CUT OFF THE CURRENT TO THEM.There are 2 schemes at the moment which can be used to mod your card currently. One being the soldering trick and then flashing the bios, while the other one currently being rivatuner and SoftR9700 patch script to software enhance the card to be a normal 9700, wether this does work i do not know, since i have not seen proof of benchmarks, all i know is that it should be able to be tested sometime soon, hopefully the release is less then the sceduled 1-2weeks but if it takes 2 weeks good and hopefully all the bugs will be out =)

Now the 9500PRO version

((( which can be viewed herehttp://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021202/radeon_9500-01.html )))

CAN NOT IN ANY WAY BE MODED TO BE A 9700 OR HIGHER!!! For one the memory aray layout is totally different, the scheme they use on this card is strictly only able to read 128bits, but it does have all 8 pipelines enabled, this card ALSO is not on the same pcb as the 128bit non pro verison which is a scheme which reads at 256bit but because of the 4 disabled pixel pipelines doesn't show since the fill rate is cut in half =(... now read on...

So why did this occur? My theory this, ati new about this but they felt that since the 4 piplines caused such a slow down on the card making a non pro slower then a ti4200 (which is by alot) only the budget crowd and people buying oem components would get these cards,, but from our friends in russia tilting the bottle the cracked the nutshell seeing that in fact it was just a resistor causeing this and that by doing the soldering trick and flashing the bios would enable this card to be a 9700...

So what does this remind me of?
Well in a sense (not the same situation but still) it reminds me of the ti200 and ti500 sieres, u had the geforce 3 and then the ti200 which was just clocked a tad slower then a normal geforce and a ti500 which was the overclocked verison.

So what does that have to do with ati?
Everything , seeing that if the general public found out about this then they would all buy the 9500 non pro for 150ish and not buy their fully enabled version for $299+ish. So with this being said why didn't they just release a pro verison of the 9500 instead of a pro9700? If u think about it this way most ppl would pay 200ish for the 9500pro becuase it is almost the same as a 9700 actually they are the same cept the clock speeds and the fill rate, this card is about 85% of what a 9700 non pro can do.... With this being said would u rather pay that extra 50-150dollars depending on where u live just to get a 15% increase? I doubt it. but with this being done it makes the ati sieres look alot better and since the pro9500 can't really be moded besides over clocked it is a sure thing...

Conclusion:
Well with the non-pro 9500 being taken off of store shelves it is only a matter of time before this card becomes super rare, the lucky few who do have it or found it on websites still selling are very lucky and in for a treat...i laughed because my mistake of buying this card has turned into the best buy that i could have ever had. funny thing about it is that people looked down on the idea and now that more and more of it is being proved fact not fiction people are switching... a bunch of band wagon jumpers lol. geez have some faith in your computer community on here. do u actually believe they would BS a story so ppl like us would go out and buy it? what would it benefit them?

DuncMac

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2001
Very Garbled.

If the Author would like to clarify.

9500 64mb Can converte to an 8 pixel pipeling 128mbit interface 9500pro like card

9500 128mb Can convert to 9700 using the methods outlined elsewhere (perhaps using Silver Conductive Paint instead of solder)

9500pro Totally different PCB format you can overclock it (http://mcturok.com/ati/) but nout else.

Anyway I would really like to hear more authenticated accounts of the 9500 128mb >>> 9700 conversions as at the moment I can easily get 9500 128mb cards.

Can't even beging to get hold of a 9500pro until next week in the UK.

hellcatjr

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2002
i can link up some benchmarks and such from a person who had done it as well as send u his addy for questions concerning moding...btw i did clarify pretty well, although i did forget about the 64bit verison i stated that a 9500pro can not be clocked to the speeds of a 9700....

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Hmmm... So I read what you said, I agree with most, but so what's that point?

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

hellcatjr

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2002
to many people don't have any idea whats going on and can't understand what people were saying, thought i would just give a big sum of it all...