win2k server policy Qs

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Sorry if it sounds like I don't know what I am talking about because in truth I really don't. I have never set up a server in my whole life but some how I managed to set up a domain controller for a lab at my school. I have figured out lots of things but one thing that is driving my crazy is the policies. My teacher has requested that I find some way to lock some users but not all from the internet. Some students like to surf the web all day instead of doing work so locking out the internet would get them working. The other thing I need to figure out is how to make it so only administrators can print. People have been printing so many random non class related things we used our alloted paper in one quarter, in the last 3 days we used a whole reem.
some info:
domain serv: Dell poweredge 2600 running windows 2000 server sp2
The lab does not use roaming profiles
I am using active directory

Any help would be nice, if you need more info let me know. Are there any server forums that I could go to also? If anyone knows where a tutorial about this kind of thing is please let me know.
thanks,
folken

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by folken on 04/03/03 09:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

jasen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
One trick, is to set a global proxy address of 127.0.0.1 (localhost), then set a local policy for only the groups that you want to give internet access to that removes that proxy.
you can set these under "settings>AD users>main domian>properties>Group policy>default domain policy>User configuration>windows settings>internet explorer maintenence>connection"
quite a pain in the ass as you can see.
Then you'd do a similar task but to individual groups, setting NO proxy so they have access.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I am sort of starting to understand. I apply the changed proxy to the group policy and then exempt the groups that I want to have internet from that part of the group policy. Am I thinking along the right lines? If I am than how do I exempt the groups from that part of the group policy? I have a feeling that it has something to do with the security tab of the specific group's properties but I don't know what to change. does microsoft have any tutorials? I should probably read them.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by folken on 04/08/03 10:04 AM.</EM></FONT></P>