which radeon 9700 to get

G

im going to get a radeon 9700 pro but have no idea which to get. There are so many companies to choose from, even gigabyte makes them. I dont want to assume that higher price is better products, so i am asking here.

RobD

Champion
Check the reviews in THG that were done last month about the "Powered by ATI" cards. Also, as they all follow ATI's reference board, there really won't be anything in it. Might be worth considering the software bundle etc that comes with it.

G

they are all the same? I was thinking of getting the 3D prophet card but they dont have it at newegg

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
don't bother with hercules.they are good cards but are generally more expensive than other makes and are not noticeably better.i see the sapphire one everywhere and that is meant to be good

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
If you're not doing any overclocking at all, then just get the cheapest one. The 3D Prophet seems to be good for o/cing, but I've not seen one in either the US or Canada.

The heatsink on the Ultimate one is just a Zalman VC heatsink. So if you think it's cool, yuo could get a normal card and put that on.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

Cosmostz

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
Im currently seeking the same advise.. FOr some reson my mobo beeps when i launch into 3d games with a gf4 ti4600.. after a week of trying every possible solution i tried the ati 9000 but its a huge difference between the to so im gonna go for the ati 9700 pro.. but which? Sapphire? hercules?

hoserb2000

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
dude, read the 9500 to 9700pro

YAhhhhhhh!!! Jan 27! Advance geforce fx seeing with Steve Molnar!!!!!!!! -you see, sticking with bou scouts finely paid off -mom

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Saphire cards are usually identicle to ATI's cards, as Saphire is manufacturing them FOR ATI (I believe they are a partner supplier of OEM cards for ATI customers). They tend to be great cards with the exception of a few 8500LE's.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

RobD

Champion
Sapphire appear to have really made inroads into the UK, as every ATI card I see now at work is produced by them. Until about 12 months ago, I'd never really heard of them, but hat's off to them, it's a top product.

We've had several 8500Pro & 9500Pro's in for evaluation at the behest of a customer, great cards.
Hope one can find it's way into my PC at work!

G

hoserb2000, there is no way i am gonna mod a 9500 without messing up