Need help deciding on a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

cootsmagoo

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
1. What is your budget?
$400-$500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
No Preference

3. What screen resolution do you want?
No Preference

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
Preferably 6-8 hours, but my 1st choice is about half that.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No real need to play games, but I'd like the option if it were something light/casual, like Torchlight.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Mostly as a notebook, keeping track of what I'm working on, but also online streaming and watching movies in HD.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I'm fine with 320GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I usually buy from Newegg.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-5 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD is fine.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm on the fence about Acer, would love to hear thoughts on their quality.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I've been looking into this for the past few days and, based on my reqs I've found a few that I like, but need some opinions first.

Here's a link to the few I've narrowed down: https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=25323268

My 1st choice is the Acer Aspire AS5742G-6426, but I have never purchased a product by Acer before and I'm worried about reports of cheap quality and/or bad customer service. I'd be interested in knowing if there is a comparable Asus model to suit my needs.

Thanks for any help!

cootsmagoo

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
That one does have a better CPU, but I'm worried about the integrated graphics. Then again, I don't know how crazy I need to get with the GPU if I'm mainly going to be watching movies online. I'm only hesitant because my crappy integrated gpu on my htpc at home (I know, I thought I could upgrade it...never again! :p) can't play full 1080p video without stuttering frames, and I'd rather like to avoid that this time around. Either way, thanks for the input, Cloudy.

cootsmagoo

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
Ok. Well I stand corrected. I went by my local Best Buy to try out for myself, and was pleased with the results. I also realized that I wouldn't have a problem playing a video at 1080p since most of the laptops in my $-range don't have resolutions that high :p. Further reading on the Intel GMA HD integrated card revealed that it's not that impressive with games, but just fine for movies/video, which is precisely what I was looking for. Thanks again, Cloudy!

Status
Not open for further replies.