Is it worth the $ to upgrade?

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
Thanks for your time. My comp consists of a Koolance 601 water cooled case, 2200+ XP, Gigabyte 7VRXP mobo, 512mb 333mh DDR Samsung, WD 800JB, SB Audigy, Netgear NIC, and a PNY GeForce4 Ti 4600 card.

I have been a VERY dedicated Nvidia user. I have been waiting for the GeForce FX but, Im not impressed with the press so far and the price isn't looking much better...

SO, for the question! Should I upgrade the Ti4600 with the ATI 9700 PRO, wait for th FX (and hope the price is right and the bugs are worked out), or stay with the Ti4600?

If you say switch to the 9700, should I get an ATI board or go with another board maker like Gigabyte?

Thanks again for your time.. Happy New Year..

Hang in there. It can only get better!

hellcatjr

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2002
Depends how you see it, if you are planning on high detail and res along with AA on then yes if not then stick with it, a ti4600 will be able to handle all the games you throw at it until the launch of the FX card =)

ChrisPi

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
The Ti4600 is still a very good card - on your system I'm sure you get great graphics on any current game (I'm using a geforce 3 ti500 and am still happy with my graphics). You could try waiting until a game like Doom 3 or something else that is graphically demanding comes out which would truely tax your rig and then upgrade to the Geforce FX or Ati r350. Or if that takes you into the summer you could also look at the ati r400 which will be out ~June/July. By that time driver issues should be ironed out and if you still want the 9700 pro it will be probably significantly discounted against the gf fx. Then again, that's my approach but I have a limited budget (I'm going to do the above but buy a 9700 non pro). If cash isn't an issue yes you could buy a 9700 pro now and crank the fsaa and af at 1600 X 1200 and enjoy it!

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
Thanks guys for the advice.. I was all ready thinking about the things you said before I posted this. I am not as concerned with turning up the graphics as much as I want frame rate. I think I will take your advice and wait for a while. I usually upgrade my video card every year, but Im not happy with the articles about the FX chip. So, I will just hang out for a while and see what shakes loose. I was getting ready to upgrade my CPU,mobo, and ram also but right now I dont think the little extra speed is worth the cost. I think Im going to wait for the barton chip to come out. Well thanks again. If any one else has a comment please post it. Take care

BastardTom

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
I wouldn't buy a card if Tom'sHardware didn't review it first. The Fx has been rumored for release the first week of February, so it shouldn't be that long until our lad Tom gets his filthy little hands on it and gives us the scoop!

To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
Yea.. they delayed it.. Having problems switching to .13 and heat.. Thanks again. So.. I guess the general opion is that for what I have its not worh the $ to switch? Take care.

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
Delayed from first week in Feb? Where does it say this? I have seen 4 differen't cards from 4 differen't manufactures with a GF FX card ready and waiting on Nvidias go ahead. MSI, NVIDIA, Gigabit, and I can't remember the last one that I seen a pic of the card.

Booky

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Neither. Wait as long as you can to upgrade. Look at it this way: You already have a blazingly fast card. DX9 games are not that near at hand, either. So even after the FX is released, your current card will do. Around that same time ATI is also releasing their FX fighter, the next revision of the 9700, with DDRII and much higher clock speeds (due to a die shrink). And even if that card DOES kill the FX, don't buy that one either. Wait until Fall. If your 4600 still seems like the great card it is, keep it. If not, look back to the cards that were released in the spring, and see how far the prices have fallen!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
LOL... Most sites say Marh to April for initial sales. Also, nVidia doesn't sell their own boards, so that doesn't count. It's only a ref board. And Gigabyte is ATi, so are you telling us that they're switching? The 2 I've seen are MSI and Gainward...

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Should I upgrade the Ti4600 with the ATI 9700 PRO, wait for th FX (and hope the price is right and the bugs are worked out), or stay with the Ti4600?
Since you are asking this question you must be disatisfied with some gameplay. I'm just curious what games aren't playing well enough with your rig if you don't mind.

Personally I don't usually upgrade until one or more games is playing poorly and even then not until those games play poorly with very reduced settings. That's when it gets irritates me and I have to upgrade.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
lol.. no.. Im not having problems playing any games at all. I usually upgrade my comp at this time every year.. Im not happy with the CPU upgrades.. I dont feel that the cost is worth the small speed increase. Same with the mobo.. So, I was looking at the graphics card. But, it seems that every one agrees. Wait.. So, I will.. I was thinking of switching mobos though. Going with Asus NForce2 board. I cant remember the #. BUt. I though that I would wait until the serial ATA hard drives come out. Any advice there would be helpful also.. Thanks again for all the great advice and knoledge. Take care. all. HAppy New Year.

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
There are some sata drives out even over here in uk (www.komplett.co.uk-seagate barracuda V-120 GB S-ATA, 7200 RPM, S-ATA/150, 8 MB Cache) so you surely must have them in the US coz we are usually slower over here.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Your current comp is kick-arse. I would say wait until fall before you think of doing an upgrade. Generally prices fall in Febuary and September, so you'll save yourself some coin. And who knows, Barton may be out by then. As well the ATI r3500 and r400, and possibly a new geforce as well.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Don't really have a recommendation. Everyone does seem to like the Asus A7N8X Deluxe.

I was curious about the Chaintech nForce2 board until I read about the quirkiness. Really weird. One ATA connector only for RAID and it can only have a master (no slave). Two SATA connectors on RAID controller. People on Usenet are really upset because they had to go one IDE drive on the ATA connector and one on the SATA using and SATA to IDE adapter. Not worth the trouble if you ask me.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
Thanks guys... Yea.. I guess Im just going to keep saving and wait.. I am greatful for the time and the advice.. Take care all.. Happy New Year..

TRENDING THREADS