Dell L400 CMOS battery replacement

Does anyone know where the CMOS battery is located in a Dell L400 laptop?
The laptop will not keep the clock or date accurate if it is unplugged. I
received a replacement battery from Dell, but it has no instructions at all.
There are no doors on the underside of the laptop and I hate to start taking
out screws and try to take it apart and put it back together.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Karl
6 answers Last reply
More about dell l400 cmos battery replacement

    "Silverado" <eltzroth@swbell.net> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know where the CMOS battery is located in a Dell L400 laptop?
    > The laptop will not keep the clock or date accurate if it is unplugged. I
    > received a replacement battery from Dell, but it has no instructions at
    > all. There are no doors on the underside of the laptop and I hate to start
    > taking out screws and try to take it apart and put it back together.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give.
    >
    > Karl

    There's little or no documentation on the Dell support site for reaching
    this battery.

    So I googled it. Came up with this site (which shows photos of the battery
    removal/disconnect for reasons I won't get into), but does show step-by-step
    of how to disassemble the system in order to replace the battery:

    http://qasimtoep.tripod.com/dell/pro_l400.html

    Good luck. I can hardly endorse the information, but I'd use it if I were
    in your shoes.

    Stew

    Thanks Stew, I'll give it a try and let everyone know.

    Karl

    > "Silverado" <eltzroth@swbell.net> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know where the CMOS battery is located in a Dell L400 laptop?
    >> The laptop will not keep the clock or date accurate if it is unplugged.
    >> I received a replacement battery from Dell, but it has no instructions at
    >> all. There are no doors on the underside of the laptop and I hate to
    >> start taking out screws and try to take it apart and put it back
    >> together.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help you can give.
    >>
    >> Karl
    >>

    > There's little or no documentation on the Dell support site for reaching
    > this battery.
    >
    > So I googled it. Came up with this site (which shows photos of the
    > battery removal/disconnect for reasons I won't get into), but does show
    > step-by-step of how to disassemble the system in order to replace the
    > battery:
    >
    > http://qasimtoep.tripod.com/dell/pro_l400.html
    >
    > Good luck. I can hardly endorse the information, but I'd use it if I were
    > in your shoes.
    >
    > Stew

    Look at doc for the Latitude LS or Inspiron 2100. They use the same case.

    Tom
    > Thanks Stew, I'll give it a try and let everyone know.
    >
    > Karl
    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Silverado" <eltzroth@swbell.net> wrote in message
    >>> Does anyone know where the CMOS battery is located in a Dell L400
    >>> laptop? The laptop will not keep the clock or date accurate if it is
    >>> unplugged. I received a replacement battery from Dell, but it has no
    >>> instructions at all. There are no doors on the underside of the laptop
    >>> and I hate to start taking out screws and try to take it apart and put
    >>> it back together.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help you can give.
    >>>
    >>> Karl
    >>>

    >> There's little or no documentation on the Dell support site for reaching
    >> this battery.
    >>
    >> So I googled it. Came up with this site (which shows photos of the
    >> battery removal/disconnect for reasons I won't get into), but does show
    >> step-by-step of how to disassemble the system in order to replace the
    >> battery:
    >>
    >> http://qasimtoep.tripod.com/dell/pro_l400.html
    >>
    >> Good luck. I can hardly endorse the information, but I'd use it if I
    >> were in your shoes.
    >>
    >> Stew

  4. OK boys and girls this is the secret, Dell dose not call it a CMOS battery and it does not look like a CMOS, battery it is called a reserve battery it is under the key board and it looks like 3 small battery's bound together and it will be green. It unplugs to replace it.

    And I did not Googled it I Yahoo-ed it.
    I am speaking of a Dell Latitude L400

    DELL LATITUDE L400 C400 Reserve CMOS Battery 3E158
  5. sorry i don't know how to help you,I think You can directly contact with an any service care center of Dell nearest to your area.
    http://www.laptopbatteriesinc.com.au/laptop-battery/dell/dell-latitude-l400-battery
  6. Hello! Hey, We have common problem, but mine was one year ago. Maybe this battery replacement might help you, http://www.laptopplus.com.au/. I had a good experience with their services.

Dell Battery Laptops CMOS Computers