Computer will not boot from disk?

brenslick

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
Im running windows xp on a self built computer, and im wanting to install windows 7 RC on a 25 GB partition i have already set up. However, when i put in the windows 7 disk and reboot, it just goes right to xp and skips booting from the disk. So, i took the xp disk just to see if it would give me the option to boot off of that, and it didnt. Ive went into bios and tried to make the disk drive the first boot option, but that didnt work either. There are 4 boot options in bios:
1) Atapi CD-Rom
2) IDE WDC wd6400aaks(Hard Drive)
3) 1st floppy device
4) IDE: Tsstcorp CDW/D

My motherboard is an Asus P5Q board
My disk drive is a DVD/CD drive, so it shouldnt have issues booting off of the DVD

Thanks in advance

Solution
How did you burn the disk?

You should not just burn the .iso file onto the disk - if you insert the disk, and it contains the .iso, you did it wrong. You need to use a burning software that can open the .iso and burn the files it contains onto the disk.

macelo

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
What you should do is set your boot priority in your bios to:

1) IDE: Tsstcorp CDW/D
2) IDE WDC wd6400aaks(Hard Drive)
3) 1st floppy device
4) Atapi CD-Rom

This will give you the option to boot from the DVDrom on startup.

How did you burn the disk?

You should not just burn the .iso file onto the disk - if you insert the disk, and it contains the .iso, you did it wrong. You need to use a burning software that can open the .iso and burn the files it contains onto the disk.

Solution

macelo

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009

Does it give you a prompt to press a key to boot from the DVDRom drive?

brenslick

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
i appreciate the help guys. My brother burnt the disk, and he did as you had said, it just contained the .iso, so i extracted it and ran the installation right from xp. Everything went well and i achieved my goal of dual booting xp and win7 RC. Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS