Disappointing Ti4600 performance

Road_Runner

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
I'm getting really poor benchmark results from 3dMark2001SE. I updated the graphics card driver which helped a bit(+700 3d marks) but im getting 7806 3d marks on a Athlon XP2000+ with the default benchmark settings. Using the 3d mark online results browser my card is shown to be a little slower than a geforce 3 ti200 running on a XP2000+. Checked the BIOS settings are OK and I cant think of anything else to try- apart from re-installing windows. I've also run memory/cpu benchmarks in Sisoft Sandra 2002 and they return expected results for a 2000+. My hardware is:

AMD Athlon(TM) XP2000+
MOBO: ASUS A7A266-E ACPI BIOS Revision 1011
RAM:1GB 266MHz PC2100 DDR
System Chipset : Acer Labs Incorporated (ALi) ALI M1647 ALiMAGiK 1 AGP System Controller
Front Side Bus Speed : 2x 136MHz (272MHz data rate)
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600

Thanks for any suggestions.

uber_m0j0

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2002
Do you have any antialiasing turned on in your advanced display properties? If your level of AA is turned up high, that'll really lower your 3Dmarks.

~m0j0

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You might want to try different BIOS on your board, Asus had various versions give widely different performance on that model.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Road_Runner

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
Thanks for the replies.I'm on the latest BIOS revision(1011) and i've tried going back to 1010 but my computer wont get past the POST it hangs after displaying processor infp, I get into the BIOS though and I need to set the processor to a slower speed it says something like "processor check failed". Its OK now i've flashed it back to 1011. Also i've double checked and AA isnt on.

BastardTom

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
It may sound strange, but having 1 Gig of Ram might actually be worse than 512MB. I'm speaking from experience here, a year ago I had built a dual P3 with one gig of ram and a GF 3 Ti500 and I had horrible results because Windows didn't know how to handle it. What version of Windows are you running? You may be having a conflict with Windows accepting the 1 Gig as well. Hopefully you have the ram split up. Just remove one of the 512 sticks (I'm assuming this is your configuration) and see where that gets you. If that doesn't help, try getting an overclocking utility for your GF. Through this utility you will be able to verify the configurations of you card, it could be that, although your BIOS says the card is running at AGP 4x, it is actually in 2x mode, a problem I once had also. Or it could be that your vid card is malfunctioning, try installing it in a friend's computer and running 3dMark. If you get unsatisfactory results again, call up Nvidia (or the company who made the card), they'll probably RMA it. Hope one of my suggestions is the answer to your question

To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.