problem with ASUS V8170 DDR/SE/T/N/64M GeForce4 4

dfn

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
Once I enter CS, after a few seconds, my computer hangs, and the only thing I can do is reboot. It usually freezes at the console as I'm connecting to a server.

Specs:
PII 400 192MB Ram
ASUS V8170 DDR/SE/T/N/64M GeForce4 440
Win 98 SE
Detonator drivers: 40.72
Video mode in HL: OpenGL, default driver

I recently formatted and did not have any of these problems. Prior to formatting, my system specs were:
PII 400 192MB Ram
Monster 3d II (8mb voodoo2)
Win 98
Wicked 3d drivers
Video mode in HL: OpenGL, 3dfx mini driver

I have tried the following drivers, and I still had the same problem in each case:
Detonator 41.09
Detonator 40.72
ASUS Detonator 31.40F (these came with my card)

Also, the same thing happens with direct3d.

I have done directX tests, both direct draw and direct 3d are fine (directx 8.1), and I've messed around with 16bit and 32 bit color settings, and also antialiasing. Nothing worked. In BIOS, I turned the BIOS video shadow off (disabled), switched the primary video adapter from PCI to AGP, and made the AGP aperture 128MB (it used to be 64MB). None of these worked...someone...please.....help =(
This is all on a clean format, a clean install of HL and CS =(
Oh, and I've checked which programs run in the background while I play CS and other games: none except Explorer, Systray, and Point32 (which is my mouse program, without i can't use buttons 4 or 5 in games), and Anvshell (if i'm using asus 31.40F drivers)
I checked device manage, and there are no conflicts - or they aren't showing up.

Now my main concern is counter-strike since that's the game I play mostly, however, other games crash too. The only difference is, I can play them for a while, and then they will crash, or lockup my system.

I'd appreciate any help, this has really been killing me for a long time now.

PS -- I also tried directx9, same thing as above. Also, the drivers that came with my mobo (which is 3+ years old) are for windows 95. Don't want to update my bios cuz I dunno anything about flash utilities, and I'm not sure which MOBO I have for sure!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd suggest trying some older drivers from a year ago since the newer drivers only address features your card doesn't have, but I'm not certain that would help.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS