Adding a gameboy screen to my PC

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I was reading the recent review of the Fragnation event and something caught my eye. The winner of the "cool case mod" had an LCD screen from a Nintendo gameboy added to his PC and attached to his Radeon vid card as a second monitor. The reviewer stated that he has seen this mod before.

I thought this mod was so cool. Does anyone know of a webpage where I can find instructions on how to do this?

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
It says it is a "Nintendo third party screen". I do belive that this is one of those screens that you can buy for your gamecube (or any other system) to play on the go. They attach with normal rca jacks, and would make an easy connection to any vid card with a tv-out.

<font color=green>::: Sir, I'd like to return this cpu, it is dead.</font color=green> <font color=blue>::: Its not dead, its resting...</font color=blue>

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
also like to add that from the looks of that screen, it is larger than the screen on either the GBA or GBA-Sp. And thse are the 2 largest screens for any Nintendo system, well, that was made buy Nintendo (the game-ax might have had as large a screen, but it was 3rd party to Nintendo)

<font color=green>::: Sir, I'd like to return this cpu, it is dead.</font color=green> <font color=blue>::: Its not dead, its resting...</font color=blue>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Thanks, I was wondering why it looked so big. Now I'll just have to look for one of those screens.

--------------

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
Just about any game store 9Electronic Boutique, Babbages, Luik Sang [sp?]) should cary them, they run about usualy over a hundred. try www.gamepusher.com . Ive shopped there a few times and really like the guy handles costome service and also has really good prices!

andrewbadlose

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001

andrewbadlose

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001

flowmaster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Dude even thou you liked the gameboy screen theme thing dont go around stealing peoples ideas. Find one of your own. I have and im doing a second one.
And are you sure that the screen wasnt the gamecube screen for the use of mobil gaming and not the gba screen?
:)

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Here's a quote from my original post: "The reviewer stated that he has seen this mod before"

So I am not stealing someone else's origional idea. I am stealing someone else's stolen origional idea. Plus from what I've managed to find on the subject these screens (yes it is the mobile gaming gamecube screen) are made specifically for linking up to various computer systems, not just the gamecube. In other words, these screens are made for situations like these.

Plus I have a (hopefully) origional idea for the use of such a screen. I'm planning on making a multimedia PC and I'll use the screen for displaying the windows desktop and a propriority display window or two (which I'll write the code for myself). Before I saw the fragnation review I was looking at a small black and white LCD screen which can display only 4 lines of text. The gamecube LCD is larger, cheeper and in color. Now I'll just have to figure out how to mod the voltage so that I can dim the display when needed. I was also looking at a gameboy screen, but the dimensions are all wrong.

--------------

Ghostdog

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
Dude even thou you liked the gameboy screen theme thing dont go around stealing peoples ideas. Find one of your own.
So if I were to add a window to my case, would I be stealing someone´s idea? Come on, mini-LCD displays aren´t really that "underground".

<font color=red>I´m starting to feel like a real computer consultant.</font color=red>