My new Graphics card

Finster

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
Well please be patient of my lack of info but I thought I would ask this question....I recently bought a Gforce II AGP card and placed in my system. My mother board can only support up to 500MHz and that is what I have (AMD) I also have 512mg of ram. When I put the card in it seemed fine for a few days....then suddenly during some online Unreal it rebooted....BAM just like that. Hmm so I figured it could be an overheating issue and placed a fan on the card heatsink...this didnt help....running dangerously low on HD space so refomatted.....nope...just about everytime I play a game like rogue spear or unreal its only a matter of time before BAM reboot....I have installed the newest drivers from NVIDIA so I am baffled....My plan is to finally upgrade
to a faster chipset but recentely bought a house and really broke...any suggestions? I can get more info if needed...

Thanks

Eefus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003
Maybe throw out a little info about your PSU. It could be low on power. Thanks!

If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It sounds like a power problem. It might not be the power supply. Many Socket 7 boards had traces too thin to carry an adequate amount of power to the video card. People even started soldering a wire from the ATX 3.3v input to the AGP 3.3v output leads, on the back of their boards. But if you're using an AT power supply (on an AT board), the 3.3v regulator might not be strong enough either.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Finster

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
I really appreciate the fast response...thanks alot...I have looked into this and found that years ago when I upgraded I kept my old PSU and it is weak...so I am going to buy a 400 watt and give it a go....thanks again

Finster

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
Dont mean to bother but thought I would throw this at cha...I went home and checked my power supply and I was running 200w....went to basement and found I had one that was 230w tried that...same thing....going to buy a 350w as I am running 2 HD's, CD rom, ZIP, Case Fan, xtra heat sink on card.....and of course the new graphics card in AGP....kinda overkill for just a 200w would ya say....oh by the way another guy in my dept gave me a 250w today...think that will work???