Can I add system memory to a video card?

akabigfish

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
I need to purchase an AGP 4X video card. I assume that the memory is soldered on, but I have this 256 MB SDRAM system memory that is going unused. Are there video cards with memory slots with which I can use this extra memory?

If adding memory is not an option, what's the best video card for about $60? It doesn't have to have tv out. It has been years since I've seriously played games, but one never knows. This computer will be used for work and some serious math. Graphics could get involved, but should be stationary. For fun I may play DVD's and that is it. I will search and see if 128 MB is even an option at this price. Recommendations very welcome.

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
The adding system memory thing is a no...would be nice...but no...as far as a $60 dollar video card, check price watch, and new egg. I dont know about finding a 128mb one for sixty bucks but hey...you never know. I'f theres one out there to be had, these guy's could tell you where it's at....good luck

If someone with multiple personalities, threatens to commit suicide, is that a hostage situation?..xXZoomInstagibXx

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
You can get like a Geforce 2 type card or Radeon 7000, Geforce MX 64mb, and etc for under 60.00. Since you do little gaming. A 64mb card should be more then fine. Most games do not even use that. DVD watching will be fine.

Can you add memory to these cards, I do not think it would be easy!

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad: