geforce fan failure

nausicaa

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
i recently found that my fan no longer spins. it was squeeking and completely frozen...so i unplugged it. my card seems to run fine...though it is extremely hot to the touch...i tried to remove the fan in hopes of replacing it, but it seems to be integrated to the heatsink...i tried to take off he heatsink in hopes of being able to mount an orb or some other newer heatsink/fan, but it is stuck and won't come off. i don't want to break or chip the die...
what should i do...just leave it the way it is??
its a visiontek geforce3 ti200

thankx

"to start press any key..."
where's the ANY key?

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
you could use a solvent like acetone (nail polish remover) to get rid of the glue.Then you can mount a new hs/fan with thermal epoxy.There are plenty of very good hs/fan combos out there.
i have to say your id is the first time i have ever seen an obscure odyssey reference on here and i never expected to see one (if that is indeed your reason for such a name).

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

Flipphone

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2003
The fan has to come off use a fn chisel and hammer if u have to, then just super glue a new on on the heatsink.Pretend ur Norm on this old house and be creative but carefull. Bob Villa will help ya

starwrs3

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
i dont know how a geforce is but with a radeon you can put the card in the freezer for a little while to get the epoxy/glue brittle then put a credit card or something like that between the hsf and the pcb and pry it of with a screw driver and reattach the new one with artic silver epoxy

mrwhipper

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
They are ont easy to get off, but you do have to get an new HS and fan. I had the same problem with my PNY Ti4600 card. I switched out the HS with Thermaltakes copper HS and fan. What you need to do is warm up the HS using a hot blow dryer. Then use two thin wooden paint mixing sticks and pry up the hs. It will come. Take your time. Keep the HS warm. When you get the HS off, clean it with Iso Alcohol. Use a thermal pad, thermal epoxy, thermal paste. I dont care which one but use one. Good luck.. TAke care.

Hang in there. It can only get better!

vacs

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
as starwrs3 said, put the card into the freezer for 15min and then the glue should stop working. Just be sure that the card has again room temperature before putting it back into the slot and switching on your PC... this is to prevent condensation problems