ATI AIW 9700 Pro flicker problem

Fares_Halteh

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Less than two weeks ago I purchased an ATI AIW 9700 pro. Upon installing the card I realized the screen was somewhat flickery. I tried a series of things to correct this problem with no luck so I eventually had to RMA the card to ATI and get a replacement. Got the replacement and same problem. The issue isn't quite a refresh rate problem although it does look like it might be similar, what i have here is what look likes very thin horizontal lines that a are flcikery throughout, most noticeable in solid colours (grey and white). The picture never really looks stable even though the colours look just fine. I've tried:

1. getting the newest ati drivers
2. flashed my bios
3. dloaded latest chipset drivers from viaarena
4. changed monitors (tried KDS VS 190, NEC Multisync FE950+, an older NEC V700-or something like that)
5. moved the card to 2 other different machines entirely (so far on an asus a7v 133, a7v333 and an intel board on my dell)
6. Bought a new DVI connector
7. tried a different room incase of EMI
8. formatted my computer
I did all of this with my original card and the one ATI sent me and I get the same problem. All my machines are running winxp pro. The only instance when my screen looks good is when I have my res set at 800X600. Anything higher gives me these flickery lines running across, even with a high refresh rate.

Now I wonder if I'd have the same problem if i tried using an LCD monitor with a DVI input. I've run out of ideas and I'm sitting here with 2 ATI cards (I better return the other soon before ATI get's postal on my CC). Does anyone have any suggestions? are there known issues with this card and older monitors? would an LCD correct this? Has anyone out there experienced this problem or knows of a possible fix?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

p.s. I also called ATI and tried a series of things that they suggested with no luck. Also the display looks great with old gforce2 on these monitors.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
DVI is supposed to be 60Hz, the same frequency as your lights. Flat pannels are a little slower, so the effect isn't noticable. On a VGA monitor you should set your refresh rate to at least 75Hz to combat this problem.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>