Sign in with
Your question

Going 32bits from 64bits in win 7

Last response: in Windows 7
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2010 11:01:03 PM

Hello, I've been using win 7 professional x64bits and would like to go x32 instead because I've had trouble running certain important x32bits applications, which won't even run. How do I proceed to use x32 bits applications when I have x64bits version of win 7? Please help.

More about : 32bits 64bits win

a b $ Windows 7
June 8, 2010 12:01:02 AM

Hello Ariana;
Here is the official Windows 7 answer to that question.
32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions -
"Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 7 or from a 64-bit version of Windows 7 to a 32-bit version of Windows?"

a b $ Windows 7
June 8, 2010 12:08:54 AM

But before you get started; what are those "certain important x32bits applications, which won't even run".
There might be ways to fix the problems that you're having. Most 32bit programs will run under Windows7 64bit with a little help from the Application Compatibility Toolkit.
Related resources
June 8, 2010 4:51:36 AM

Quote:
Hello, I've been using win 7 professional x64bits and would like to go x32 instead because I've had trouble running certain important x32bits applications, which won't even run. How do I proceed to use x32 bits applications when I have x64bits version of win 7? Please help.

It is better to find another way to run those applications in 64 bit rather than going to 32 bit. Can you please tell us the applications which are not working on 64bit?
June 10, 2010 12:40:49 AM

Hello Ariana1,

Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.

Additionally, you will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP

I hope that helps you out!

You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support
!