Make Windows 7 Look Like Windows XP/2000 Startbar?

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
Hi,

I need to know how to make Windows 7 look like the start menu from Windows 2000... (it's a shame they never made an XP option) I remember reading somewhere one time on how it could be done through customize... But I couldn't find it now. Was it ever an Windows 7 option to allow that? Or was it some sort of an third party software that "changed" it over?

I'm talking about the single start bar, and not the one side-by-side. (which can be done by going into "Classic Mode") I want it so I can view "My Programs" open up to the side instead of having to scroll through them.

Thanks!

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
All I could find is this:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/files/

And a few others like it. But I don't want add-on's... I found a site once that showed me how to do it, I just didn't take notice then to bookmark it.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
^+1.

Btw, WHY would you want to use the 2000/XP Style on Vista/7? Tech has moved on. Get used to it. Same case with Office 2003 >>2010.

I don't see what tech has to do with the "styling" of something. I love Windows 7 benifits, I just don't like to look. I'd rather prefer the XP look tbh, thats what I'm after.

I so far managed to make it look like the fugly Windows 2000 with its grey bars (hate that) but its the closest thing to XP. The only thing I'm having a problem with is the start menu. I want it so the "All Programs" shows up sliding to the side.

Any ideas?

I don't see what tech has to do with the "styling" of something. I love Windows 7 benifits, I just don't like to look. I'd rather prefer the XP look tbh, thats what I'm after.

I so far managed to make it look like the fugly Windows 2000 with its grey bars (hate that) but its the closest thing to XP. The only thing I'm having a problem with is the start menu. I want it so the "All Programs" shows up sliding to the side.

Any ideas?
I looked online, but it dosen't look like it's possible. So looks like it's time to move on....

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
There's no point and this still doesnt have anything to do with graphics cards.

You keep telling me that, but theres no way of me changing it now is there? (unless a mod moves it.) And for me, there is a point, as its more easier on my eyes. Thats why I wanted it.

godbrother

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009
I looked online, but it dosen't look like it's possible. So looks like it's time to move on....

Yeah, I searched google for some time too, but never really got anywhere, thats why I thought I'd give it one last shot here. I did find one in the end, which was to convert the start bar into one single bar, that would allow "all programs" to come out to the side, like it did with XP, but it still looks butt-ugly with the windows 2000 styling... God damn, I so hate Bill Gates... What a tit. :rolleyes:

gahd_damn

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Oh, This one is EASY!!!

Run > "services.msc" > Desktop Window Manager Session Manager > "Stop"

It'll reactivate if you restart, but your startbar should be more "classic" afterwards regardless.