FX Advance Price

RCPilot

Champion
Saw this this AM in the paper here localy. So much for the $500 price tag.

Sorry about the link guys. It was advanced sale for $399. I guess that it's to far in the ad & you have to hit buy or something. It's at CompUSA. Just found it interesting, but I still want to see the benches myself.

Try this again <A HREF="http://www.compusa.com/buildyourown/default.asp" target="_new">Link</A> It works now I believe.
I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rcpilot on 01/19/03 10:10 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Ub3r_n00b

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2002
You might want to fix that link, its not really a link (all it does is make you make a new post)...lol

The only price I have seen is $399 at BestBuy, but thats only the 128mb version. There is a 256mb version that will be coming out, and thats the one thats supposed to cost $499.

But I should wait until you fix the link to see what your talking about. :wink:

<font color=red> Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people. </font color=red> :wink:

eden

Champion
I wonder who can be so shortsighted that he can't notice he linked us to a New Post page!

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
? it goes to compusa. Err, I ran outta tissues and now there's big mess on my monitor...anyone wanna gimme some?

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

RCPilot

Champion
Be thankful! At least it goes there now.

I don't need the tissues. I waited for FX running my TI4600 long before the ATI 9700 Pro came into view. Now I can decide between ATI (Of which I said 6 months ago I'd never own another one) & Nvidia FX. I still don't think ATI has their entire act together with drivers. So the new one will be FX, or ATI whatever they have to offer now!!! I guess that Nvidia has my support though. We'll see?

eden

Champion
200M triangles???!
I thought it had 350M which was already barely more than the R9700PRO!
If that is what I am thinking about then the card is not worth jack for its price.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
$500 was just speculation because Geforce 2 was released at $349 and the original Geforce 3 (before Ti200 & ti500) was released at $500.

I'm sure marketing conditions are determining the actual price of GeforceFX. If ATI does release a revamped 9700 with DDR2 then GeforceFX manufacturers would have to adjust pricing accordingly. Maybe they already have.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

RCPilot

Champion
Geforce 2 Ultra went for $499 right out of the shoot. I paid that after waiting & seeing if the price would come down for awhile. 2 weeks later they came out with the TI series of GF3 & they started out @ $349. My ass is still burning over that one. My TI4600 was only $229. But the Ultra got me good. Not sure what the FX is going to get me for, but I'll have to have one for sure.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I was talking about the original Geforce 2 GTS which came out 4-6 months before the Geforce 2 Ultra. It, the GTS, retailed for $349 but now that you mention it I do remember the Ultra was $500.

Are you sure about the the timing of the Geforce 3 Ti? The way I recall there was the Geforce 2 Ultra, about 4 months later the Geforce 3 (no Ti), then the Geforce 2 Ti450, Geforce3 Ti200 and Geforce 3 Ti500 all came out about the same time some months later.

RCPilot

Champion
Well it may have been about 1 month or so. I built my A7V with 512 SD133 & had a Diamond Viper 550, man did I think it was fast & good looking. Then I started hearing about Geforce & WOW. I had to look all over hell to find one, let alone buy one. So I found it after a couple of months looking. Like I said $500. I stood in the store on my cell phone asking my wife if I could get it. Got it went home & saw games as I had thought they should be at that time. Was happy as a fat rat.

Then my son needed a machine. So I did the research & got the A7V 266 & 1.4 Tbird & the TI500 he's still running. I went over to his house & built it for him. It still makes me mad, we gave $350 for the TI500 & it put my machine to shame. So there may be a week or 2 different, but I'll never forget that. I heard that until last Nov. I went & got the A7V8X, XP2400 Tbread, Samsung 2700 ram @ cs 2.0 & the TI4600. Now he's trying to scrape together a A7N8X & DDR RAM cause the ole mans got the whip hand. Bah HA HA. I can't wait for the FX myself.

I also remember the GTS & almost got that because I couldn't find the Ultra. This was all before I was doing business on the web, so I had to do it local. Scared to use a card on the web back then. Funny how things change as time goes on.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I love online shopping! At least 40% savings and stuff comes to my door.

I'd never pay that kind of money for a video card, not any longer. I haven't paid more than about $100 for a video card in years and I'm happy always playing last years' games. (I make a few exceptions). The most I ever paid for a video card was $239 but that was 14 years ago for an SVGA card. Crazy! Even crazier I paid about $2700 for an OEM 286 system back then (1987). LOL! Things really do change, as you say.

If only I could get back some past spent money to spend today. What that $2700 would buy today.

RCPilot

Champion
I hear you about getting money back I spent before. I like to game though & always am playing the latest. So I do drop the cash on vid cards. If you took the games of my machine I'd have the OS left I guess. This new 80 gig HDD JB edition I've got a whole 7 gig on it & that's about all it will ever have. Hey, good talking to you, Cya around.

Dreadnaught

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2001
im an online gamer, which means i get the games when they come out, and you need the resolution as high as you can get, and the fps as fast as they can be, thus i do tend to buy latest and greatest... ive kept my gf3 for a long time now, just waiting for the nv30... so excited its almost time... i planned on 400... but ohh how 256megs sounds like fun. nforce 2 mobo sure will love that playmate

<A HREF="http://www.trsclan.com" target="_new"> Clan TRS is Back </A>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Don't get me wrong. Just because I don't spend the money for the best gaming gear doesn't mean that I think it wrong for someone else to do so. Everyone has different priorities. I buy perhaps 4-6 games a year. A couple of those are new the rest probably a year old. Some are even used. I pay maybe $150 for those games, total. Doesn't make sense for someone like me to spend $500 for video card plus whatever system is needed, to make the video card shine, every 12-18 months just for the short time I actually spend playing games.

eden

Champion
Yes and I personally think the 200M triangle spec for the GF FX displayed on the link here is the real deal. For 400$, this does not bode well at all. (it also makes sense it is the real thing, notice it comes with 128MB instead of the 256MB)

If it really turns out a stink for performance, at 400$, I think anyone who is simply stupid will buy it. If it really does rock and is justified, then all the power to nVidia.

--

tailgunner42

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2003
I think everyone would benefit by givin the 9500pro a go till the the next generation ati card comes out forcing the fx high dolar version down to a reasonable price. i currently have a geforce 4200 but have read alot of good things about the 9500pro vs the 4600!! ps..my 4200 beat 4600 on 3dmark2001 748Mhz ATHLON

RCPilot

Champion
System Requirements

* Intel Pentium® III, AMD Duron or Athlon™ class processor or higher
* 128MB system RAM
* A 350W system power supply
* An available 4-pin 12-volt power connector from the internal power supply
* An AGP compliant motherboard with an AGP 2.0 slot.
* A vacant PCI slot adjacent to the AGP slot. The GeForce FX card occupies 2 slots: AGP and 1 PCI
* 10 MB of available hard disk space (50 MB for full installation)
* CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
* Windows® 95 OSR2, 98 or higher, ME, 2000, XP, or Windows® NT4.0. (Service Pack 5 or 6)
* VGA or DVI-I compatible monitor
Man, these requirements are going to keep a lot of people out of the FX chip. Fit's into AGP & PCI slot 1, plus a 4 pin connector to the PSU. 300 w min. PSU. Those are some heavy duty requirements for sure. Going to be heavy hanging off there also.

bloaty

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
I too would like to see real benchmarks, just when will nvidia be sending the FX out to reviewers? Its a bit anoyiong that people are pre ordering the fx at quite a few places now and no one know anything about its performance. People should have it in thier homes in about 2 weeks or so then?

RCPilot

Champion
I agree with you. I want to see the benches also. The other thing I want to know as well is how systems are going to handle the card. Quite a different design there as well.

Soooooo, we wait.