Specs:
PIII
500mhz
256mb ram
DVD player
CD-RW
Turtle Beach sound card
Riva TNT 16mb video card

The power supply is only 200watts. Will my system run an Nvidia GeForce2 mx 400 64 mb card? Some specs say that I need a 250watt power supply.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Ken

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, your system will support a GeForce2 MX400, I just put one on an identicle system. Whatever you do, DON'T change your power supply, Dell wires theirs differently, so they look like ATX but aren't. Your MX400 will work perfectly in the current machine.

Oh, by the way, your 200W power supply actually has better output than some generic 300W supplies, I've seen this myself, Dell power supplies are rated far more consevatively than the ones you buy in a store.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

klf

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Thanks for your reply on the Dell System/Video card question. I have gotten a different from everyone I talk to. Most said that there is no way that will work. The reason that I need a new video card is because I run Microsoft Flight Sim 2002. Great program, but it is a resource hog. I new that I may not be able to run some of the GF4 cards, but I thought I could run a GF2 card. If you have any more thoughts, please send them along.

Thanks
Ken

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Didn't I say I KNOW it will work from experience? It will work, there is absolutely no doubt that the power supply will NOT be a problem.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

klf

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
Sorry, didn't mean to offend. I really appreicate your reply. It is just that so many poeple have given me bad advice including the manufacturer. I do see what you mean. The geforce2 mx card only draws 10 watts of power. I think most of my components only draw a max of 6-10 watts per item. So with 200watts, I should have power to spare. The only good advice I got from others is that the Dell power supplies are underrated. They actually perform better than other power supplies.

Thanks again
Ken

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, compared to retail power supplies, Dell power supplies are underated. But the truth of the matter is that retail power supplies are overrated. People tell you that you need a 250-300 watt power supply based on their experience with over rated retail power supplies. I believe most OEM's power supplies are rated at continuous power, while retail parts are rated at peak power.

RCPilot

Champion
I forgot who the OEM king is, OOOOOOOOPPPPS. Just common sense that's it's not enough. But I forgot it was an antique. I'll watch it next time for sure. SORRY.

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!

so in a way a dell 200 watt power supply would be like a 300 watt retail power supply for example? Just OEM and retail use different numbers like athlon xp 1600+ and athlon XP 1.4ghz ?

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dell and Gateway power supplies are far superior to the common brand power supplies like Antec.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, in my experience (using Gateway as an example) a Newton 200W is slightly better than an Antec 250W or Generic 300W.

RCPilot

Champion
Boy I sure haven't fouund that. Every one of those machines I touch seem under powered to me, & try & add something, it's a loss in my book. I'll keep an open mind though, just like the sig. says.

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You have to remember what equipment he has and what kind of card he's looking at. The MX400 is a low power card.