Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2009 10:20:31 PM

does anyone know when the RTM is set for release or is it already

More about : release rtm

a c 209 $ Windows 7
August 18, 2009 10:59:48 PM

The official build has been released to OEMs and to companies with Microsoft support contracts. It won't be available for retail purchase until October 22.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 18, 2009 11:26:06 PM

It has been and it has been leaked onto the web if you know where to look.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 19, 2009 1:21:48 AM

daship said:
It has been and it has been leaked onto the web if you know where to look.

which is where? ;D and is the RTM version the actual version, do you need the product key or anything, and is it like Windows 7 Ultimate or home version?
m
l
August 19, 2009 2:01:50 AM

If you have an student account (or something even better) in MSDN, you can download the RTM for free already! I just did it and will install it tomorrow! :D 

But it's the professional version, not the ultimate!
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
August 19, 2009 2:12:46 AM

I haven't tried it, but I assume that it works like other Windows releases - it will run for 90 days without a key before it starts complaining and locking out features.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 19, 2009 2:30:27 AM

Well if you know where to look you can download it and there is a loader out for activation. I cant tell you where to look though.
m
l
August 19, 2009 4:35:28 AM

a loader? I thought that windows 7 RTM would be an actual version, not just a version that'll run for 90 days. Probably any downloads for it are filled with malware
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
August 19, 2009 4:58:36 AM

ALL versions of Windows (since XP, anyway) are versions that will run for 90 days without a license key. If you have a valid license key you enter it and presto - you have an official, authorized Windows Genuine Advantage installation.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 19, 2009 5:02:56 AM

computernewbie said:
a loader? I thought that windows 7 RTM would be an actual version, not just a version that'll run for 90 days. Probably any downloads for it are filled with malware

Probably why your name is computernewb.
m
l
August 19, 2009 5:35:41 AM

^ no i just thought it'd be appropriate because i know nothing of computers, or atleast i dident before..
m
l
August 19, 2009 3:12:17 PM

How does the Windows 7 installer know which version of Windows to install if you don't put in a key during install?

I'm sure posters here are right, that it runs for 90 days or so without a key... I'm curious now how you'd "force" the 7 Ultimate DVD to install, say, home basic. It will do this if you enter a home basic key at install time.
m
l
a c 209 $ Windows 7
August 19, 2009 5:53:21 PM

TwoDigital said:
How does the Windows 7 installer know which version of Windows to install if you don't put in a key during install?
I assume Windows 7 will work the same way Vista did - it asks you. If you choose Ultimate, it installs Ultimate. If you choose Business, it installs Business. If you're foolish enough to choose Ultimate and then you go out and buy one of the Home edition license keys, you'll end up having to reinstall with the appropriate version in order to activate it.
m
l
August 19, 2009 7:38:14 PM

I have Windows 7 Ultimate installed on a few of my home PCs. On Technet there are different downloads for each type. It would appear that the all in one DVD is not to be for Windows 7 which is a pity.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 6, 2009 3:48:33 AM

I downloaded it off the MS web site and am sorely tempted to order all my new parts start tweaking next weekend. Alas I fought off the temptation as I still wanna evaluate some of my choices.
m
l
!