Catalyst 3.0 drivers, don't install!

I installed the new drivers 3.0, i swear at first i got 8800 with fsaa at 4x and ansitropic at 16x and i thought ok that can't be that bad. i turned everything back to 'best perrfomance" for both directx and opengl and i ran 3dmark again, i got even worst scores! i got 7700 with everything set to best performance in the drivers. 3dmark was at defualt for both besides sound disabled.

installed 2.5 and i got 11,300 with everything set at defualt in the drivers and in 3dmark besides sound was disabled. the 3.0 drivers are horrible don't download them!

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

RCPilot

Champion
That's exactly why I don't run ATI. There drivers have always sucked & looks like they still do. They did put a lot of PR out though & said it wasn't going to be the case now days, Huh!

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!

huh? actally they are fine. you probably never owned an ATI card. The drivers are fine just the 3.0 versions seem mucked up, however someone just said it worked fine for him so perhaps the drivers i installed got currupted.

Your just jealous that my card is faster then yours and has a tv tuner and a bunch of cool software. ;p

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
funnily my 2.5s give me 13164 at defaults wiv a 9700pro
newer 3.0s are available now by the way, poss results funny if run a non 9500/9700 card with the other 3.0s (thats what the text i saw says)

Dx9 also needs installing BTW... 32mb download off zdnet.com

is it summer already ??? oh, its just the heat haze coming off my PC...

like i said i turned it to best performance! with the 2,5 drivers i left it at default. (example of people not knowing how to read) i clearly stated that in my original post.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
like i said i turned it to best performance! with the 2,5 drivers i left it at default. (example of people not knowing how to read) i clearly stated that in my original
I can read just fine. Thank you. No need to be rude.

In your original post you put the words "best performance" in quotes. I took this to mean you moved the Texture Detail and Mipmap Detail slides to "Performance" vs "Quality" in ATI display panel. As you know (because you know everything) these slides can be moved regardless of the Vertical Sync setting, ie on or off.

Don't use quote marks unless you intend to give a quotation or to bring attention to the literal words. Use boldface, commas, or anything else to emphasize meaning. Quote marks are for literals.

And get of my case. I was just trying to help.

By the way, I get a little better performance from Catalyst 3.0 with my Radeon 8500. Catalyst 2.5 were buggy. UT2003 textures were rendered incorrectly, the wrong textures were in the forground in some scenes.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

it's all good.

best performance meaning all the sliders towards "best performance" i'm not sure how else to say that?

I'm sure you can read fine. some people, or should i say most people in todays world, can't. They just see words and can't pick up and kind of meaning of it so they assume.

besides i said i set everything to best perfromance, "i got 7700 with everything set to best performance in the drivers." I have no idea how you thought anything else?

thanks for your help.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
This time you left the quote marks off "best performance".

Can't you see the difference?

If you say, "I set everything to best performance", then the meaning is clear to both of us.

If you say, "I set everything to 'best performance'", well then I'm looking for the words "best performance" somewhere in the display panel.

I hope that explains the difference.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
Are you getting those scores with an AIW 9700 Pro? I get 12k+ 3DMarks with my AIW 9700 Pro on "Default" 3DMark 2001 SE b330 setting. On DX9 and Catalyst 3.0 too.

Doesn't 3DMark 2002 SE disregard the settings on the ATI control panel?

what's your processor? i only have a 2ghz pentium 4. WHen i overclock it to 2.3ghz i get over 12k. But my computer started crshing so i had to put it back to 2ghz.

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
AXP 2200+, 768MB PC2100 DDR, GA-7VRXP, 60GB ATA133 Maxtor HDD.

I checked 3DMark comparisons and 12k seems to be the right score. Some ppl of same specs as mine get 13k. I am thinking coz of DX 8.1 and DX9. Anyway am happy with 12k if it's the standard.