Gonna buy me a laptop, might as well ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fledgling Pidgeon

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
So, I'm going to buy myself the best laptop I can get my hands on within the next week, upgrades included, regardless of cost. The only limitation is that I need to buy it on-store, so I can't order anything custom-made.

I got my eyes on them Asus Republic of Gamers, specifically the G53SX and the G74SX. Size is an issue, but I'm willing to forsake my column for anything that fits in a backpack. Gaming is the primary concern, a'course. Any other items, such as mice or headsets, would be nice to have too.

Any input? Any other good options? Any hints? Any specific upgrades I should look at? Thank ye kindly in advance for all answers, and feel free to go stupid-high on your suggestions. I'm looking for something retardedly good, for no specific reason other than my own personal obsession with computers.

Don't judge.

You say you are only looking to buy at the store then why are you asking what upgrades to look for?

As far as I know Asus G series is your best bet in retail. If you can find an MSI Gaming series (GX usually) those could be a good option to consider.

Haven't seen any mice/headsets bundled but I'd say avoid those, typically the premium is well above the retail price if you bought them separately, and unless it's from a reputable company quality is questionable as well.

As far as upgrade that you can consider as DYI options:
1. if laptop comes with HDD, replacing it with an SSD
2. upgrading RAM

the latter is not needed if the laptop comes with 8gb (most do, some even go overboard with 12gb). As far as SSDs, it's a good investment, they do provide a noticeable performance bump and it's a good upgrade esp for large 17" models that often have 2 HDD bays

Status
Not open for further replies.