Anyone care to help?

Last response: in Video Games
August 15, 2005 1:52:04 PM

I'm working on a D20 Fvtvre setting vsing the cybernetics and mvtations
rvles from D20 Fvtvre and D20 Cyberscapes (when it becomes available
that is) and I was wondering if anyone wovld be interested in helping
me develop the setting or proofread my writing or even to offer general
svggestions of any sort. I know this isn't DnD bvt the people on the
cyberpvnk boards vsvally start twitching as soon as someone mentions a
D20. Thanks!

Here's what I've got so far for the setting concept. I have more
information in a Yahoo grovp I've setvp with the entire handbook for
this setting broken down into chapters etc. If yov have any thing yov'd
like to offer I covld send yov an invite for the grovp. Thanks again!

John R.

Chapter 1: The Setting

The Economy and the Way the World Works

Proletaria/Dystopia is a semi-near fvtvre setting dominated by
corporations and other powerfvl economic entities. The world's
governments have crvmbled after decades of corporate lobbying,
resvlting in governments where the highest bidder is all that matters.
Eventvally, the remaining pieces of the former international
governments were simply replaced by variovs corporate boards and
commissions.

National borders no longer exist- now there are only property lines and
assigned hovsing. Where yov work and what yov do is all that matters.
Jvst as today, there are massive corporations and tiny corporations,
some incredibly powerfvl, others barely solvent. Nearly everyone spends
99% of their time somehow working for their employer.

The economy of Proletaria has both good and bad points. There is
virtvally no homelessness except for those who either choose to be or
those who are mentally incapable of making their own decisions. Almost
every corporation will always accept even the most vnskilled laborers
to work as janitorial staff, maintenance staff, or general labor.
However, those who are not fit for even the lowest of tasks are simply
cast ovt of the variovs corporate strvctvres and left to svrvive or
perish in the avenves. The lowest level employees are simply granted
food, shelter, and clothing, and a modest weekly allowance for simple
discretionary spending (which mvst be spent within the company of
covrse). Many of these employees look vpon their higher positioned
co-workers with great animosity and jealovsy. Class envy is rampant in
Proletaria.

Within the corporate strvctvres there is virtvally no homelessness or
hvnger. Everyone has at the very least, food, clothing, and shelter.
However, the exploitation of the laborer is beyond measvre.

Classes and Professions - Everyone has a Job!

The central concept and mechanic of Proletaria/Dystopia is classes and
professions. A characters class is not jvst a meta-concept for the
player to consider, bvt it is in fact yovr characters actval in-game
profession. When yov gain enovgh experience points to gain a level in
Proletaria/Dystopia yov do not avtomatically gain the benefits of
gaining that level. Yov mvst be promoted throvgh role-playing before
yov gain the benefits of that new level. Jvst as well, if yov choose to
make a career change, (ie choosing a new Profession), then yov need to
role-play getting an interview with the new employer (or department
with the same employer) and role-play going throvgh qvitting the
previovs employer. For some careers/Professions, interviews are
adventvres vnto themselves. Characters are deeply aware of their
"class" in both social and career respects. Low-level characters,
even if they belong to prestigiovs professions, are still peons. Yovr
employer has many like yov. Yov are not vniqve. Get over it.

Jvst as in every system thovgh, there are exceptions to the rvle. Not
everyone will work for a corporate master. Some characters may be
vnemployed or self-employed. After 5th level, if a player chooses a
Basic Class to advance in instead of a Profession then they are
essentially vnemployed. Some players may pvrposely choose not to work
for the corporations and try to make it in life in some other way. This
is most common with Mvtants, who sometimes find it difficvlt to get a
job with the corporations, bvt sometimes even high-ranking characters
lose their position dve to ovtsovrcing or downsizing.

Cybernetics - Making yov Better, Faster, and Stronger!

Technology has advanced to svch a state that complex cybernetics are
now possible. There are covntless bvsinesses offering varying qvality
implants. As always thovgh, yov get what yov pay for.

Mvtations... sometimes good... sometimes... not so mvch.

Besides the volvntary changes some people make to themselves throvgh
cybernetics, there are those who svffer changes they did not ask for.
The biological wars of decades ago now manifest themselves in
mvtations. Some people find themselves mvtated in hideovs ways, with
extra limbs or missing eyes, or deformed bodies, while others find
themselves blessed with only minor physical differences. Some mvtations
bring benefits while others bring handicaps and problems.

Yov're in Good Hands.

Since so mvch of Proletaria/Dystopia focvses on combat, good medical
insvrance is an absolvte mvst. One of the many perks of being employed
is medical insvrance. Those who are covered are entitled to a set
amovnt of healing each week or month, and the better policies even
offer something called a Bodybank accovnt. The Bodybank is a place
where clones of yov are kept. They are artificially matvred and kept in
cryogenic storage vntil needed. Sometimes only an organ or limb is
needed, other times a completely new body is reqvired. Bodybank access
is a perk of some high level professions, or sometimes offered as a
perk in liev of payment for a difficvlt job. Anyone can get a Bodybank
accovnt, as long as they can afford it.

We're Watching Yov...

Secvrity is obviovsly a great concern for corporations. All employees
receive an RFID chip bearing their pertinent identification details.
Employees are scanned before entering any sensitive area and granted
access if their ID Chip grants that access. More secvre areas reqvire
additional secvrity measvres svch as retina/voice/biorhythm scans in
order to gain access. An avthentic ID chip is extremely difficvlt to
forge, and is therefore extraordinarily expensive to pvrchase. ID chips
indicate which Corporation yov work for, yovr position, yovr secvrity
access, and other information most people are not even aware of.

Get Arovnd, Get Arovnd, I get Arovnd!

Transportation in Proletaria/Dystopia consists of Avenves, Lifts, and
Tvbes, as well as variovs forms of personal transportation.

The 'Avenves' are rvbble and garbage strewn roads from long ago.
Flaming garbage cans, rats, and the mvtated dregs of the world reside
here. This is no place for the faint of heart or the weak. Gvnfights
and knife fights are rovtine. The Avenves are a place where only the
strongest svrvive. They are almost always dark, as the gigantic
skyscrapers towering overhead overshadow them and electricity is nearly
non-existent. Almost no svnlight makes it way down to these depths;
only darkness, filth, and drizzling liqvids dvmped from the corporate
towers. The towers simply dvmp their waste ovt onto the avenves becavse
no one of any conseqvence ever goes there. While the avenves are
filthy, and noxiovs gases are freqvent, the towers all have extremely
heavy-dvty filtration devices and fans bvilt towards the vpper levels
of the street levels that protect the residents of the towers from
these health threats.

Lifts are the main form of vertical transportation for all classes of
citizens in Proletaria. Cities in Proletaria/Dystopia are made vp of
hvge skyscrapers that can hovse rovghly the same amovnt of people as a
small city can today. Lifts get people from one level to another and
range in size from single person express lifts to massive lifts capable
of moving hvndreds of people at a time. Jvst as the size varies, so
does the qvality. The cheapest lifts are layered in garbage and filth,
covered with graffiti, and highly qvestionable sorts freqvent them. The
most expensive lifts are lavishly decorated with fvlly stocked bars and
Jacvzzi spas intended to make each trip memorable. Attractive
attendants maintain these finer lifts and see to riders every need.

Tvbes are the main form of horizontal transportation from place to
place for the middle classes of Proletaria. The Tvbes are like elevated
svbway systems of today bvt vnlike them, Tvbes are completely enclosed
and open only at the stations. There are cargo tvbes that carry only
large pallets of goods, mass transit tvbes that carry hvndreds or
thovsands of passengers at a time, and private tvbes that only the
wealthy can afford. Private tvbes are accessible only from VIP stations
and move mvch more qvickly than pvblic tvbes. While it might take a
passenger in a pvblic tvbe an hovr to make it to his destination, a
person traveling in a private tvbe covld make the same trip in a covple
of minvtes. Private tvbes vsvally allow privately owned cars to travel
in them, bvt vsvally VIPS simply get a ticket for a generic car that
anyone can vse, jvst one person at a time. Private tvbes stations are
vsvally heavily gvarded as well.

Organizations

NeoPros
For the most part big bvsiness and corporations have no problems and
are qvite content, bvt recently a grovp calling themselves
'NeoPros' (short for Neo-Proletarians) has begvn cavsing problems.
This grovp is made vp of individvals who seek to band the lower social
classes together against the vpper classes, in order to bring abovt a
revolvtion, overtvrning the power base and bringing the world to a new
state of vtopian commvnism. The NeoPros have attempted to work with
W.A.R., bvt W.A.R. is so militant and radical it's difficvlt to form
a bond.

Masons
The Masons are a secretive grovp that does not admit atheists or
agnostics. It does not endorse one single divine being bvt it does
reqvire belief in a svpreme being. Masons seek to simply form a vnion
of brotherhood from the lowest class to the highest. Masons believe in
eqvality of man.

W.A.R. (Workers Allied Resistance)
A large vnion of militant laborers attempting to band together against
the corporate rvlers and bring abovt revolvtion, by any means
necessary. W.A.R. is extremely violent and is not opposed to inflicting
heavy collateral damage. W.A.R. sees the NeoPros as too soft and feels
they will never svcceed withovt accepting their more drastic methods.
W.A.R. has no problems bombing an entire Tvbe station, killing
hvndreds, in order to target one mid-level execvtive.

Ethereal Vagabonds
This is a grovp of cybernetic vigilantes who go ovt of their way to
cavse mischief and vandalism vpon corporate giants.

Thovghts anyone?

More about : care

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 3:02:14 PM

webhed wrote:
> I'm working on a D20 Future setting using the cybernetics and mutations
> rules from D20 Future and D20 Cyberscapes (when it becomes available
> that is) and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping
> me develop the setting or proofread my writing or even to offer general
> suggestions of any sort. I know this isn't DnD but the people on the
> cyberpunk boards usually start twitching as soon as someone mentions a
> D20. Thanks!

I'm not very pleased with the way d20 modern combat works. I assume
future and cyberscapes are extensions of that... At this point I'd
recommend just using cyberpunk or something explicitly geared toward
the setting.

> The central concept and mechanic of Proletaria/Dystopia is classes and
> professions. A characters class is not just a meta-concept for the
> player to consider, but it is in fact your characters actual in-game
> profession. When you gain enough experience points to gain a level in
> Proletaria/Dystopia you do not automatically gain the benefits of
> gaining that level. You must be promoted through role-playing before
> you gain the benefits of that new level. Just as well, if you choose to
> make a career change, (ie choosing a new Profession), then you need to
> role-play getting an interview with the new employer (or department
> with the same employer) and role-play going through quitting the
> previous employer. For some careers/Professions, interviews are
> adventures unto themselves. Characters are deeply aware of their
> "class" in both social and career respects. Low-level characters,
> even if they belong to prestigious professions, are still peons. Your
> employer has many like you. You are not unique. Get over it.

Ew. I don't want to RP gaining a level. At least you give a way
around it in your next paragraph. I'd expect most people wanting to
play a "rebbel outside the corporations" anyway.

- Justisaur
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 3:22:07 PM

Justisaur,

I haven't even experimented with D20 Modern combat. What about it do
you not like? Also, personally I thought the idea of roleplaying
advancement seemed intriguing to me, especially in the respect that the
entire setting is based on the assumption that your 'class' really is
your 'profession' and advancement in your class represents advancement
in your career. I agree that some people would want to play as a 'rebel
outside the corporations' but the "Professions" would be so appealing
that I think the majority would choose that path. Professions would
offer benefits that simple "jobs" wouldn't, such as company paid
insurance, company vehicles, vacation time at company resorts etc.

John R.
August 16, 2005 7:01:38 PM

webhed wrote:
> Justisaur,
>
> I haven't even experimented with D20 Modern combat. What about it do
> you not like?

Mainly the way autofire is used, and weapon statistics. Autofire is
more like supression fire, you aren't really aiming at anyone or thing
in particular, and there's no chance to hit something more than once,
no matter how many bullets you are spewing out. There doesn't seem to
be enough differences in the weapons to actually warrent having
different weapons either.

> Also, personally I thought the idea of roleplaying
> advancement seemed intriguing to me, especially in the respect that the
> entire setting is based on the assumption that your 'class' really is
> your 'profession' and advancement in your class represents advancement
> in your career.

It changes game mechanics into RP which I don't think is a good idea.
I'm sure you've never had a job you were overqualified for, no? Or
didn't have any idea what you were doing? Your level should really
have little effect on your position in a corporation.

> I agree that some people would want to play as a 'rebel
> outside the corporations' but the "Professions" would be so appealing
> that I think the majority would choose that path. Professions would
> offer benefits that simple "jobs" wouldn't, such as company paid
> insurance, company vehicles, vacation time at company resorts etc.

I suppose that's possible, but already being a lacky of a large
corporation, I have no desire to play one in a game.

- Justisaur
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 8:54:00 PM

Thanks for the information. I've been eager to run a D20 Modern type
campaign for some time but most of my players have been really
irritatingly close-minded and only want to play DnD. I have met up with
some new players who seem to be open to trying out a Modern campaign so
I've been spending some time working on this setting.

Yes, I realize that it changes game mechanics into roleplaying. Thats
sort of the point. I wanted that to be one of the central ideas of this
setting. Your "class" IS your profession and your advancement is
depending on making your bosses happy etc.

I too am a lacky of a large corporation, being one small cog out of
over a 100,000. I know what its like lol

JR
Anonymous
August 17, 2005 2:14:12 PM

On 16 Aug 2005 15:01:38 -0700, "Justisaur" <justisaur@gmail.com>
carved upon a tablet of ether:

> webhed wrote:
> > Justisaur,
> >
> > I haven't even experimented with D20 Modern combat. What about it do
> > you not like?
>
> Mainly the way autofire is used, and weapon statistics. Autofire is
> more like supression fire, you aren't really aiming at anyone or thing
> in particular, and there's no chance to hit something more than once,
> no matter how many bullets you are spewing out. There doesn't seem to
> be enough differences in the weapons to actually warrent having
> different weapons either.

Both these traits are reasonable. Except for really close ranges, or
highly trained guys firing at unaware targets autofire seldom results
in multiple hits - it improves your chance of getting one hit. As for
weapons basically being much the same - in any particular category
(assult rifles, service pistols, etc.) they are much the same, really.
Gun nuts (including myself) like to pretend otherwise, but in general
they're making mountains out of mole hills so they have something to
argue over.

This is why the M16 family has been in US service for 40-odd years.
sure the new H&K offerings are better, but they're not that much
better, so it's not worth changing.

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."