ATI 9000 Pro at 2x only

vtziouv

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
I just bought a ATI 9000 Pro and to my surpise the card runs only at 2x AGP.
I have a VIA KT133A chip which supports AGP 4x, had no problems with my previous card, running at 4x. Have installed new Bios, graphics card, VIA drives and DX9 but no success. AGP 4x is enabled via BIOS as well.
With my previous GeForce2 MX had no problem running 4x.

Does anyone has any ideas?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Carefull there, that chipset was known for having stability problems in 4x mode.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Crashman it right 4X can be unstable on KT133A besides I've yet to find a game that runs signifcantly faster at 4X than it does at 2X. (I have a KT133A board, Epox 8KTA3PRO)

If you insist on using AGP 4X then reinstall the 4-in-1 drivers but run it once and select all the <b>deinstall</b> options. This will allow you perform a "clean" install by removing the garbage. Run the utility a second time and let the components install. Make sure AGP Turbo Mode is selected. Without Turbo Mode selected you can only run AGP at 1X or 2X.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

vtziouv

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
I have tried your suggestion (for clean install) and when reinstalling the via drivers there is no option for AGP Turbo. I know that this option exists, because I had it with previous version of the via drivers, but not with their latest version.
I believe though that this is not a VIA driver or KT133A issue. If there is a compatibility problem between the 2 (ATI & VIA) then I believe that ATI deliberately disables the 4x option so as to avoid having unstable boards sent back...

The fact though that you said that games are not running faster at 4x could be true. 3DMark2001 benchmark gives me a score of just above 5000. Exactly what expected with a 1.1Ghz cpu...

Crashman is right, this forum has a class...

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Maybe it's a bug with the 9000 Pro.

I have a KT133A motherboard and a Radeon 8500. I do occasionally run it at AGP 4X.

I'm probably a little behind on the 4-in-1 drivers using 4.43. Maybe the Turbo mode option isn't available any longer. I did notice since about 4.37 the Turbo Mode options was on by default. You would have to go out of your way to turn it off. Earlier versions required you to manually select Turbo Mode.

Maybe it's time to re-test the AGP 2X vs 4X thing. Now that I have new-ish games like BF1942 and UT2003(demo only) I should see if it makes a difference. (I still doubt it.) I remember 3DMark2001 only had a 25-50 point difference and my games, at the time, showed only a fraction of a frame per second difference.

The minor extra performance wasn't worth the occasional crash.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
"I believe that ATI deliberately disables the 4x option so as to avoid having unstable boards sent back..."
Yea, thats it...heh...<shaking head>

If someone with multiple personalities, threatens to commit suicide, is that a hostage situation?..xXZoomInstagibXx