Francaman

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
A friend offered me a used Nvidia Riva TNT2 (i don't know who is the board manufacturer) Agp 4x wich I've installed on my pentium II 233 with a Soltek 82440LX-ATX SL-66A motherboard (Bios ver.1.0) and 64mb of ram, it keeps locking up my system after little time of use, altough in that period of time i can run games like Half-life in good resolutions (1024-768) with good speed (i can run it at higher resolutions but game speed gets worse). After the lock up, when i restart the computer the motherboard starts making a lot of noise for 1-2 seconds and there's no image on the screen (black screen) then i have to take off the card and re-install it after a while. When I use my ATI 3D Rage Pro 4MB AGP 2X it runs perfectly but with bad 3d performance in games.

Could it be because my system should be running at least a 235-watt power supply (250-watt is preferred.) and is now running at 200 watt power supply?
I have the lastest drivers from nvidia for this card.
Having a look at the graphics card i saw that JP5 should be 1-2 for AGP 2x or 2-3 for Agp 4x, and it's in 2-3 with both points welded thogheter.
Could i "unweld" 2-3 and weld 1-2? Could this resolve the problem?

Have you checked what AGP speeds your motherboard officially supports, and whether there are any BIOS upgrades that might help?

You might want to stick some extra RAM in your machine too. 64MB is nothing.

:eek: If I had a face like Britney Spears I wouldn't know which end of me to wipe :eek:

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It could be the PSU. Can you borrow a more powerful one to try out before you buy a new one?

It's more likely that your MOBO doesn't support AGP 4x, which your vid card is apparently set at. Check you MOBO manual to see if it does support 4x. A MOBO that old probably doesn't.

I don't know how well the jumper is welded in, you might break something if you try to get it off. Be careful or you could permanently trash the card.

"I'm a man armed with a fork in a land of soup."

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
I dont think TNT2's are AGP 4x, if your trying to force it at this speed (is tgis pssible?) it would make it unstable.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

I had the TNT2 Ultra, that was AGP2x/4x. Most likely answer is that the motherboard doesn't support AGP 4x, and the graphics card isn't getting the juice it needs.

:eek: If I had a face like Britney Spears I wouldn't know which end of me to wipe :eek:

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
I've got a system here with a TNT2 M64 that supports AGP4x. It's utterly useless on such a slow card, but it supports it.

-Col.Kiwi

Nick_Danger

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
Probably it's the power supply. Lockups like the one you describe are almost always the power supply. I bet you added additional drives and maybe a sound card since you purchased your comp, right? The old 200-watter is straining under the load. Time for a new PS.

Mowgly

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2002
When I switched from my old Ati rage fury to a Geforce 2 I had to totally reinstall windows because I had a driver conflict. But you could try uninstalling the old ati drivers before you install the nvidi card

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Try using <A HREF="http://download.com.com/3000-2086-8396416.html?tag=lst-0-1" target="_new">WCPUID</A> program to verify whether your chipset can support AGP4X or not. Then try to get rivatuner at <A HREF="http://www.guru3d.com" target="_new">guru3d</A> to change the AGP speed.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, first of all, forget the morons who were talking about AGP2x and 4x, this has nothing to do with your problem. It's a heat problem. The noise you hear is probably an overheated fan. First thing I would do is check your video card if it has a fan, to see if the noise is comming from there. Then next time it locks up, put your finger on the graphics card heatsink and the CPU heatsink. If either is too hot to touch for more than a second, you've found your heat problem.

It could also be your power supply overheating.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
ALL tnt2's were 4X agp.. unless you have a pci versoin (thought id say that for the slow ones ROFL)...

yeah the dude is right.. sounds like a heat problemm.. those were hot little cards...

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Ok everyone, I thoroughly apologise for making the false statement that TNT2's were only 2x AGP compatible (I can see myself getting bummed for this for the rest of my life :eek: ).

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>