Double Layer DVD Write media

I am considering a new Dimension 8400 purchase and would like to include a
DVD burner. Dell offers a 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write. What media is
compatible for writing with this burner? Will single layer +R DVD media
work? If not, the dual layer burner is a not good choice because of the
very expensive dual layer media.

Thanks in advance,
Ray
5 answers Last reply
More about double layer write media

    Unless Dell changed recently, they have a + drive only. - media will not
    work. Single layer + DVD media works fine. I received the NEC 3100AD and
    used NEC firmware to flash the drive to a 3500A which supports both + and -
    media.

    WSZsr wrote:
    > Unless Dell changed recently, they have a + drive only. - media will not
    > work.

    The have changed recently (at least for the new double layer drive).

    Ray wrote:
    > I am considering a new Dimension 8400 purchase and would like to
    > include a DVD burner. Dell offers a 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write.
    > What media is compatible for writing with this burner? Will single
    > layer +R DVD media work? If not, the dual layer burner is a not
    > good choice because of the very expensive dual layer media.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Ray

    Check the specifications for the drive: normally DVD-R, DVD+R and all of
    the other formats are supported except for DVD-RAM which is available on
    only a couple of drives. BTW, you can get the NEC 3500A at
    www.newegg.com (and others) for about $80. NEC, Pioneer, and Lite-on are
    the best dual layer drives according to anandtech.com recent testing.

    DL (dual layer) burners will also burn single layer media but not the other
    way around.

    -Tmax60

    "Ray" <rschleichblock@monmouth.com> wrote in message
    :I am considering a new Dimension 8400 purchase and would like to include a
    : DVD burner. Dell offers a 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write. What media is
    : compatible for writing with this burner? Will single layer +R DVD media
    : work? If not, the dual layer burner is a not good choice because of the
    : very expensive dual layer media.
    :
    : Thanks in advance,
    : Ray
    :
    :

    On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:01:58 -0500, "Ray" <rschleichblock@monmouth.com>
    wrote:

    >I am considering a new Dimension 8400 purchase and would like to include a
    >DVD burner. Dell offers a 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write. What media is
    >compatible for writing with this burner? Will single layer +R DVD media
    >work? If not, the dual layer burner is a not good choice because of the
    >very expensive dual layer media.
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Ray

    Ray, there has been many, many problems with this burner. I currently
    have it in my 8400. Dell just came out with a firmware for it. It is
    really a Phillips drive but I think is an OEM version which is not as
    good as the Phillips or Benq which are all same.

    I did the flash and it did not solve problem. It will not burn to a
    DVD-R even though it is advertised as being able to do so. Only DVD+
    is all I have been able to get it to burn to and then very slow.

    Go buy your own burner and install it.

Dell DVD Burner Computers