Double Layer DVD Write media

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I am considering a new Dimension 8400 purchase and would like to include a
DVD burner. Dell offers a 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write. What media is
compatible for writing with this burner? Will single layer +R DVD media
work? If not, the dual layer burner is a not good choice because of the
very expensive dual layer media.

Thanks in advance,
Ray

Unless Dell changed recently, they have a + drive only. - media will not
work. Single layer + DVD media works fine. I received the NEC 3100AD and
used NEC firmware to flash the drive to a 3500A which supports both + and -
media.

WSZsr wrote:
> Unless Dell changed recently, they have a + drive only. - media will not
> work.

The have changed recently (at least for the new double layer drive).

Ray wrote:
> I am considering a new Dimension 8400 purchase and would like to
> include a DVD burner. Dell offers a 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write.
> What media is compatible for writing with this burner? Will single
> layer +R DVD media work? If not, the dual layer burner is a not
> good choice because of the very expensive dual layer media.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ray

Check the specifications for the drive: normally DVD-R, DVD+R and all of
the other formats are supported except for DVD-RAM which is available on
only a couple of drives. BTW, you can get the NEC 3500A at
www.newegg.com (and others) for about $80. NEC, Pioneer, and Lite-on are
the best dual layer drives according to anandtech.com recent testing.

DL (dual layer) burners will also burn single layer media but not the other
way around.

-Tmax60

"Ray" <rschleichblock@monmouth.com> wrote in message
:I am considering a new Dimension 8400 purchase and would like to include a
: DVD burner. Dell offers a 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write. What media is
: compatible for writing with this burner? Will single layer +R DVD media
: work? If not, the dual layer burner is a not good choice because of the
: very expensive dual layer media.
:
: Thanks in advance,
: Ray
:
:

Tellme

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 16:01:58 -0500, "Ray" <rschleichblock@monmouth.com>
wrote:

>I am considering a new Dimension 8400 purchase and would like to include a
>DVD burner. Dell offers a 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write. What media is
>compatible for writing with this burner? Will single layer +R DVD media
>work? If not, the dual layer burner is a not good choice because of the
>very expensive dual layer media.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Ray

Ray, there has been many, many problems with this burner. I currently
have it in my 8400. Dell just came out with a firmware for it. It is
really a Phillips drive but I think is an OEM version which is not as
good as the Phillips or Benq which are all same.

I did the flash and it did not solve problem. It will not burn to a
DVD-R even though it is advertised as being able to do so. Only DVD+
is all I have been able to get it to burn to and then very slow.

Go buy your own burner and install it.