Latitude D800 -- Good or bad?

Hello all...

I'm looking to buy a new notebook computer as my beloved old Compaq LTE is
finally beginning to have some odd problems. (Not that I could blame it
after all of these years!) After much shopping around, I have found the Dell
Latitude D800 to be a notebook computer that has just about all the features
I desire. Add that to the fact that Dell is presently willing to drop $350
off of the price tag, and I think it's a pretty good deal...though I do need
to see what they will do on financing...

Does anyone here on this group have this model? Have you been happy with it?
Specifically, how is the performance and battery life? Will the machine take
a different operating system and remain completely functional/function
properly? (I'm looking towards running Windows 2000 Pro or maybe even a
Linux of some kind on this machine...I don't like WinXP and try to avoid
it.)

Thanks!

William
15 answers Last reply
More about latitude d800 good

    The D800 is solid (as is the Inspiron 8600, the same system with different
    cosmetics and options, minus the track stick, serial and parallel ports of
    the D800).

    Don't downgrade to Windows 2000 - you may not yet know, but Microsoft has
    pulled the plug on future Internet Explorer updates for all OSes except XP -
    and while you can (should) use an alternative browser, the lack of patches
    will eventually render IE too dangerous to use with anything older than XP.

    "William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@saveyourspam.walshcomptech.com> wrote in
    message news:KLpsd.440729$wV.364533@attbi_s54...
    > Hello all...
    >
    > I'm looking to buy a new notebook computer as my beloved old Compaq LTE is
    > finally beginning to have some odd problems. (Not that I could blame it
    > after all of these years!) After much shopping around, I have found the
    Dell
    > Latitude D800 to be a notebook computer that has just about all the
    features
    > I desire. Add that to the fact that Dell is presently willing to drop $350
    > off of the price tag, and I think it's a pretty good deal...though I do
    need
    > to see what they will do on financing...
    >
    > Does anyone here on this group have this model? Have you been happy with
    it?
    > Specifically, how is the performance and battery life? Will the machine
    take
    > a different operating system and remain completely functional/function
    > properly? (I'm looking towards running Windows 2000 Pro or maybe even a
    > Linux of some kind on this machine...I don't like WinXP and try to avoid
    > it.)
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > William

    In article <KLpsd.440729$wV.364533@attbi_s54>, newsgroups1
    @saveyourspam.walshcomptech.com says...

    <snippety>

    > Does anyone here on this group have this model? Have you been happy with it?
    > Specifically, how is the performance and battery life? Will the machine take
    > a different operating system and remain completely functional/function
    > properly? (I'm looking towards running Windows 2000 Pro or maybe even a
    > Linux of some kind on this machine...I don't like WinXP and try to avoid
    > it.)

    Smart person. I'm no fan of X(tra)P(ain) either. ;-)

    Anyway... I have been a satisfied Dell user since about 1996. I
    had an old Latitude CP-XT notebook in service for about six years before
    I finally had to retire it (still in great shape, I'm happy to say) in
    favor of a Latitude C640.

    I looked at the D-series, and compared their specs to the C640
    pretty carefully. Yes, the D-series look like really nice machines, but
    some things that gave me pause were the fact that the display was only
    0.9 inches bigger (diagonally), and that the battery life was rated
    about 40 minutes shorter.

    In short: It's amazing how much more power an increased size of
    backlight for that big LCD panel pulls. For my specific application, the
    gain did not seem to justify the higher (refurbished) price (I bought
    mine from a Dell reseller on Ebay who resells off-lease units).

    I doubt very much you'd be disappointed with the D-series. Coming
    from the Latitude family, they will most likely be durable workhorses
    (though not in the same class as, say, a Panasonic ToughBook or Dolch
    portable, but I don't think you're looking for military specs here). ;-)

    Happy hunting.

    kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
    with surreal ports?"

    Hi!

    > The D800 is solid (as is the Inspiron 8600, the same system with different
    > cosmetics and options, minus the track stick, serial and parallel ports of
    > the D800).

    I really think the D800 is going to be it. If there was only one reason not
    to buy a Dell right now, it would be that I don't like talking to tech
    support in India, because I can't understand a word they say and I think
    that Dell's support people cater to those who are trying to find the power
    switch...but then again, who isn't outsourcing their support today???

    > Don't downgrade to Windows 2000 - you may not yet know, but Microsoft has
    > pulled the plug on future Internet Explorer updates for all OSes except
    XP -
    > and while you can (should) use an alternative browser, the lack of patches
    > will eventually render IE too dangerous to use with anything older than
    XP.

    I had heard that with the advent of IE6SP2 that the only new versions of IE
    would come out with Windows service packs. Now I have heard that there will
    be no Windows 2000 SP5 I suppose that there will be no IE6SP2 for Win2k
    either. But then again, Microsoft also states that Win2k will be supported
    for updates through 2010 and I doubt very highly that they don't release a
    service pack at some point in that time. Judging by what the world has to
    say about "no SP5" so far, I have to wonder if MS will change their mind. I
    sent them a letter today by mail...and it may do nothing, but without making
    the effort, who knows?

    There's just too much I don't want, don't need, don't care for and won't
    have in XP that I am not going to use it. I really wish that I could order
    the machine "blank" with only some software (Corel Wordperfect 12) but Dell
    doesn't offer that FAIK.

    William

    "William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@saveyourspam.walshcomptech.com> wrote in
    message news:hnssd.200639$R05.145201@attbi_s53...
    > Hi!

    > I really think the D800 is going to be it. If there was only one reason
    not
    > to buy a Dell right now, it would be that I don't like talking to tech
    > support in India, because I can't understand a word they say and I think
    > that Dell's support people cater to those who are trying to find the power
    > switch...but then again, who isn't outsourcing their support today???

    You can opt for US priority support if you're willing to pay for it - it's
    not an option for the Inspirons, but it is for the Latitudes.

    "Busman" <texaseitz@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks! Have installed Firefox and looking at differences.
    > Andy

    You will need to use IE if you want to use Windows Update...and some other sites
    that require Active X controls.

    BT

    In article <QTwsd.512451$D%.244078@attbi_s51>, newsgroups1
    @saveyourspam.walshcomptech.com says...

    <snippety>

    > The only thing left from IE that I use is Outlook Express--and only as a
    > newsreader at that. It too is very dangerous to use, but I have yet to find
    > another newsreader that does as well in the interface department. Plenty
    > more powerful, but none yet that's as straightforward.

    Well, all you had to do was ask! ;-)

    I would recommend Microplanet's 'Gravity.' I was so impressed with
    it at first glance that I bought it right away, back when it was still
    shareware (it's been released as open-source now, if I recall correctly,
    and I can send you the installer for it if you can't find it with
    Google).

    It has a fantastic UI, excellent security, and so many filtering
    features I still haven't figured them all out. It would certainly be a
    lot better than OE.

    > I have another problem I haven't yet figured out--and that's how to replace
    > IE on my older machines. I have a lot of early Pentiums, 486 boxes and even
    > a 386 or two still running. Some of the Pentiums will do Firefox just fine,
    > but I don't know what to pick on the 486 boxes. The 386 boxes (mostly
    > running Win 3.11 or NT 3.51) don't worry me that much from a security
    > standpoint.

    You may want to consider earlier versions of Netscape for them. I
    find that most such worked just fine.

    > I had a devil of a time trying to find permissions controls on files and
    > folders. This was dead easy in NT and 2K (and is pretty much unchanged in
    > Windows Server 2003) but I can't find ANYWHERE to do it on XP. That's
    > unfortunate, because I did use that feature every now and again. I suppose
    > (I hope?) that XP would support such basic functionality, but I can't find
    > it anywhere.

    XP strikes me as something that was designed to hold the user's
    hand as much as possible, even in the 'Pro' version. Yet another reason
    why I won't touch it with a 3.048 meter pole (perhaps with a 1.5 meter
    Italian, but that's another story).

    Keep the peace(es).

    kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
    with surreal ports?"

    In article <o1Gsd.27311$fC4.9981@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>,
    texaseitz@sbcglobal.net says...

    <Once again -- Top-posting corrected. Please do NOT top-post!>

    > "Dr. Anton T. Squeegee" <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote in message
    > > In article <31evv2F3a46bqU1@individual.net>, ejn63@netscape.com says...
    > >
    > > <Top-posting corrected. Please don't top-post in Usenet groups.
    > > See http://www.html-faq.com/etiquette/?toppost for why.>
    > >
    > > > "William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@saveyourspam.walshcomptech.com> wrote in
    > > > message news:KLpsd.440729$wV.364533@attbi_s54...

    > LTE is
    > it

    > What issues will I have when switching from IE to Mozilla's Firefox? Have
    > tried Firefox at work and it seems simple enough to use but I wonder how
    > many issues I'll have when I pull the plug on IE in my new 4600 with XP. Any
    > suggestions?
    > Andy

    <snippety>

    You shouldn't have any issues at all. Firefox can easily import
    IE's bookmarks, so you shouldn't lose anything there. Firefox loads
    faster, and has better security. I can't see how you'd lose anything
    other than a heap of worry about virus vectors.

    Keep the peace(es).

    kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
    with surreal ports?"

    Hi!

    > Well, all you had to do was ask! ;-)
    >
    > I would recommend Microplanet's 'Gravity.' I was so impressed with
    > it at first glance that I bought it right away, back when it was still
    > shareware (it's been released as open-source now, if I recall correctly,
    > and I can send you the installer for it if you can't find it with
    > Google).

    It wouldn't be the first time I had heard of Gravity, and I'll admit that it
    wasn't half bad. It's been a long time since I used it so I don't remember
    what all I wasn't comfortable with...

    Mozilla's own Thunderbird came *awfully* close but seemed to have problems
    with thread ordering. (I mean to say that it displayed each and every reply
    that OE would display "under" the main title posting as a separate posting.
    I found that very hard to follow.)

    I suppose that if anything I have some bad OE-induced habits that need to
    leave.

    > You may want to consider earlier versions of Netscape for them. I
    > find that most such worked just fine.

    I have some, and they work pretty well...maybe that's something I will have
    to think about. For some of the machines I found a great solution in the
    OffByOne browser. Unique, basic, but it's a 32 bit browser that will run on
    NT 3.51. Never tried it with Win32s...hmmm...

    In the meantime, I have to wonder how much a 16-bit IE 5 on Windows NT 3.51
    is really vulnerable to! :-)

    William

    "Dr. Anton T. Squeegee" <SpammersAreVermin@dev.null> wrote in message
    > You shouldn't have any issues at all. Firefox can easily import
    > IE's bookmarks, so you shouldn't lose anything there. Firefox loads
    > faster, and has better security. I can't see how you'd lose anything
    > other than a heap of worry about virus vectors.

    Firefox does not load faster on all systems.
    On mine, it is much slower.

    There are areas where Firefox does not give you some capabilities in IE, but
    those discussiuons are best found at the Firefox forums at Mozilla's web
    site.

    I had the use (for a while) of a Latitude D600 with DVD burner that simply
    knocked the SOCKS off my Inspiron 8200, which is (was) a top-of-the-line
    model (when it was built.) Everything about the D600 was nicer, slicker,
    faster, cooler.

    "William R. Walsh" <newsgroups1@saveyourspam.walshcomptech.com> wrote in
    message news:KLpsd.440729$wV.364533@attbi_s54...
    > Hello all...
    >
    > I'm looking to buy a new notebook computer as my beloved old Compaq LTE is
    > finally beginning to have some odd problems. (Not that I could blame it
    > after all of these years!) After much shopping around, I have found the
    > Dell
    > Latitude D800 to be a notebook computer that has just about all the
    > features
    > I desire. Add that to the fact that Dell is presently willing to drop $350
    > off of the price tag, and I think it's a pretty good deal...though I do
    > need
    > to see what they will do on financing...
    >
    > Does anyone here on this group have this model? Have you been happy with
    > it?
    > Specifically, how is the performance and battery life? Will the machine
    > take
    > a different operating system and remain completely functional/function
    > properly? (I'm looking towards running Windows 2000 Pro or maybe even a
    > Linux of some kind on this machine...I don't like WinXP and try to avoid
    > it.)
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > William

    Howard,

    Firefox is not perfect yet. Report the bug to the Firefox development team...
    Ben Myers

    On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 05:38:07 -0500, "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com> wrote:

    >I encountered a significant problem using Firefox yesterday.
    >Macromedia Flash and Firefox are not playing nice together.
    >
    >Macromedia needs to be passing a file URL, or Firefox is misinterpreting
    >the passed URL.
    >
    >--
    >http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
    <SNIP!>

    It may not be a Firefox bug, could be a flash bug that IE handles properly.

    Details are provided in a thread I started yesterday in te Firefox General
    forum.

    --
    > Howard,
    >
    > Firefox is not perfect yet. Report the bug to the Firefox development
    team...
    > Ben Myers
    >
    > On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 05:38:07 -0500, "Howard Kaikow" <kaikow@standards.com>
    wrote:

    > >I encountered a significant problem using Firefox yesterday.
    > >Macromedia Flash and Firefox are not playing nice together.
    > >
    > >Macromedia needs to be passing a file URL, or Firefox is misinterpreting
    > >the passed URL.
    > >
    > >--
    > >http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
    > <SNIP!>

    I am loving my D800, if you can get the extra warranty. They will do
    on-site replacement of any component (had my screen and mobo replaced!)

    One thing that bugs me is the airflow requires that the unit have
    adequate clearance underneath. I had to use a riser for mine. Also with
    1Gb RAM the unit gets _HOT_

    Other than that it's frekkin fast.
    Live audio and video for performance.
    Gaming.
    Terracnosaur

    <terracnosaur@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am loving my D800, if you can get the extra warranty. They will do
    > on-site replacement of any component (had my screen and mobo replaced!)
    >
    > One thing that bugs me is the airflow requires that the unit have
    > adequate clearance underneath. I had to use a riser for mine. Also with
    > 1Gb RAM the unit gets _HOT_
    >
    > Other than that it's frekkin fast.
    > Live audio and video for performance.
    > Gaming.
    > Terracnosaur

    Greetings,

    What was the extra warranty you got with your purchase? Also, did you add
    the floppy drive? If so, what is the quality of the floppy?

    Thanks in advance for your help and comments.

    Leigh

    The extended warranty was offered by Dell to my reseller. It's awesome.
    On site repair and next day usually. no one else in the biz can
    compare.

    No floppy with mine, but I plan on getting one some day.
    @ $30 for the floppy drive it's cost is on par with any standard USB
    floppy, and the fact that it is used inside the DBAY means you can swap
    it for a DVD+RW when you need to, or pull out your optical drive and
    use the floppy in your book if you need to.

    Terracnosaur

Dell Latitude Computers