Big New Card, Big New Problem !

A_Star

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
So, here's the deal:
when I install my new Geforce 4ti 4200 AGP 8x(leadtek) my system gets instable as hell. I can not boot up normally, but I get a freeze up anywhere from the RAM count up to the XP desktop. I installed a shiny new 550 Watts PSU and my MB doc. says it's AGP 4x compatible. When I reinstall my old but trusty Geforce2 MX (Hercules) everything goes as smooth as...er..(can't think of anything)
What is going on? and is it serious?

Biostar M7VKB + 550W PSU + athlon 1GHz
384 Mb RAM
XP Pro

---

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't"

Helpmostimes

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
Well i went through the same thing you went through..When i upgraded to a better Card,My systom went to crap..After looking around in Toms Place,I was told to upgrade the driver on my chipset..When i did finaly do that the card went in without a Hitch.Im not Familiar with that MOBO,If it is Via Based,Lets say,mmm,,A few years,you will need to upgrade your 4in1 drivers..I might be wrong,,but in my case it was the ticket.....<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Helpmostimes on 01/24/03 00:30 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

A_Star

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
Thanks for the tip.
I will do it now.

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't"

A_Star

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
Did it, but installing new 4 in 1 drivers did not resolve my problem.
This is getting really frustrating. This shiny new monster of a card is just lying here doing nothing at all.

dhlucke

Polypheme
How are you doing this? Are you just swapping cards or are you deleting the drivers, shutting down, and then installing the new card and drivers. Or are you starting with a fresh install of windows?

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

A_Star

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2003
I'm deleting drivers first, rebooting after with the new card in place. I'm not even contemplating reinstalling my OS since my problems appear from POST onwards, way before XP loading.
It's driving me nuts !

Helpmostimes

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
Well try this..Did you install the New 4in1 drivers before you insalled the drivers for the video card?You have to do this..4in1 does not work very well puting them on top of the Video card drivers..I dont know..You might try posting in another forum..Ive found that tring in more than 1 gets more results..Not all people scan all the rooms..They just stick with a few they know....Good Luck........

TRENDING THREADS