Sign in with
Your question

Windows Protection Fault

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 5, 2003 8:08:42 PM

Well my UPS was acting up so there were a lot of spontaneous restarts and this one time i got the blue screen when windows was loading :Windows protection error: System halted. Need to restart" I also have windows xp on the puter but it seems to be fine. I also tried reinstalling the ME but i still got the error. Any clues on how i can get the ME up without formatting the drive??? Thanx for the help

<b><font color=blue>Don't worry about the world coming to an end today, It's already Tommorow in Australia....Unless you're in Australia, Then you're in deep [-peep-]!</b></font color=blue>
April 7, 2003 7:39:16 AM

Dudes plz help me!

<b><font color=blue>[-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] [-peep-] .....What?!? It's just my pager :tongue: !</b></font color=blue>
April 7, 2003 9:45:12 AM

Quote:
I also have windows xp on the puter but it seems to be fine.

WinME doesn't work. That's the problem. The OS is defective. Call up Microsoft and return it.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>
Related resources
April 7, 2003 10:41:42 AM

But it was fine just a day ago. IT happened because of the spontaneous restarts. Also i need ME because i have some old hardware like SB live de5.1 and dont have xp drivers for it. ANd uh imagine downloading 20mb on a 56k modem wiht max dl pseeds of 4-5kB

<b><font color=blue>Sorry no Signatures today people. :tongue: !</b></font color=blue>
April 7, 2003 12:49:54 PM

sb live 5.1 is supported by XP

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
April 7, 2003 3:58:36 PM

I just got DSL. Before that I was on dialup just like you. 20MB is nothing even on dialup.

<font color=red>GOD</font color=red> <font color=blue>BLESS</font color=blue> <font color=red>AMERICA</font color=red>
April 7, 2003 5:09:42 PM

Well I think it is either a driver or IRQ sharing conflict.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
April 8, 2003 2:04:20 AM

WinMe is surely worse than Win2000/XP. But it's lot better than Win98SE, especially if you have a nForce/nForce2 based mobo. I get lot less BSOD's in WinME compared to Win98SE

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>
April 8, 2003 5:13:29 PM

I used the step by step start up and it fvks up when i load the windows drivers so any clue on how i can fix it?
To jlanka: THe sound card's working but AudioHQ isn'nt. The effects provided by it are really good so i kinda miss it.

<b><font color=blue>Sorry no Signatures today people. :tongue: !</b></font color=blue>
April 8, 2003 6:09:33 PM

AudioHQ... I guess you have a SB Live?

Give me some more system details... the SB Live can give problems with certain configurations and I might be able to tell you how to solve that if I know more about your PC.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dims when I turn it on :eek: 
April 8, 2003 8:06:19 PM

OK thanx.
P4 2.4B, ASUS P4T533-C, 256 MB PC-800-45 RDRAM, 20 GB Samsung HDD, Samsung 40x CDRW, ASus 50x CDROM, A pinnacle PCTV tuner, Asus gf4 440mx. The first PCI has been left unoccupied.
And oh if it's of any help: Audio HQ says No compatiable Creative sound card found. The drivers on the Cd dont have an xp edition. Only windows 2000 ones but i guess they wouldnt work.
I dont think i've missed out anything important but lemme know if i did.
PS: It's windows xp pro and winme

April 9, 2003 2:44:19 PM

Windows XP should come with SB Live driver for default... do some searching in the driver database. And Win2k drivers often also work in WinXP.

Can you check if you got any IRQ conflicts with msinfo32.exe?

April 10, 2003 7:55:13 AM

The sound card is working but it gives audio output in only one channel. The drivers were in the xp database but audio hq is a program that lets you change the effects like auditorium/disco etc etc. The sound also sucks now.Thanx

<b><font color=blue>The opposite of love is indifference not hate.</b></font color=blue>
April 10, 2003 7:56:39 AM

i'll try the msinfo32 thing as soon as i get home. I did'nt know about that one.

<b><font color=blue>The opposite of love is indifference not hate.</b></font color=blue>
April 26, 2003 9:41:24 PM

Give the Windows 2000 drivers a go - usually 2000 drivers work under XP because XP is built on the same platform. If no such luck then go to www.creative.com or www.europe.creative.com if your in europe. Go to the driver database and select Windows XP as your operating system. There must be some driver by now. There is for the Audigy. SO what if it takes ages. I had to donwload loadsa driver and I had to wait 50 mins on my modem. Patience my friend. Patience. I am right in assuming that you can get basic sound but no EAX effects.

Usually all Creative Labs Cards have so many features they use too many IRQs so its well known for Creative labs cards to conflict with many devices. My solution is to isolate the card with a PCI slot at the end of the motherboard. Space out your PCI cards but leave the PCI 1 slot free for ventilation for the graphics card.

Just cos I am a semi skinhead it does not mean that I am a semi PC Guru. I am 25% PC Guru, 15% Thug and 10% Alcoholic!!!
April 29, 2003 1:58:42 AM

I assume you downloaded and installed the latest driver package from Creative? I never had any problems with AudioHQ in XP... I went from a Live! to an Audigy and I now have an Audigy 2.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
April 29, 2003 10:12:44 PM

The Windows Protection Fault could also be caused by faulty/damaged memory.

AMD Athlon XP 2700+
Epox 8rda+
Thermaltake Volcano 7+
2x256 MB PC2700
Creative GeForce 4 Ti 4800 (4600 Chip)
Chieftech Case
WD 80GB/8MB HDD
16x48 DVD-ROM
20x10x32 Burner
!