GeforceFX benchmarks - divided opinions?

bloaty

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
Well toms finally has it benchmarked, plently of good and bad things were said and the overall conclusion was good aswell. however, not everyone seemes to share this opinion.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1779" target="_new">Anandtech seemed less impressed with the fx.</A>

I might be a bit biased here. I do own a 9700pro and i might have found it hard to see how toms could could have praised the card as much as they did but I think these guys feel the same way i do =P <A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=cd847dcb603d3d46a2e1fcc67e65006c&threadid=33662435" target="_new">Rage3d discusion on toms review</A>

You can be on either side of the fence on this one but all i know is that this should shape up to be an interesting year.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I haven't seen much praise for this card at all. Even tom said that it's going to be hard for Nvidia to sell this card (at least I thought he did, the site won't load right now).

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I think that any praise that THG gave the card was about being the fastest. If you need to have the fastest card, THG would be stupid to recommend the Radeon 9700 pro over the GFFX. However, THG did emphasize strongly the problems it had with heat and noise levels. It also mentioned several times that it was only a small lead over ATI's card. If you just read the conclusions, you might miss some very important points that were made in the article.

I am just too dissapointed with the noise to ever consider getting one even if someone else offered to pay for it. Why get something that puts out twice the noise for only a 5% gain in performance? I would prefer to have half the performance if getting more performance meant sacrificing my hearing (I would have to turn the volume up quite a bit in order to drown out the cooling fan noise).

dhlucke

Polypheme
Considering that you can buy a passivly cooled 9700 Pro, ie NO noise, there's almost no reason to buy the FX unless you really really need that extra speed.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I am just too dissapointed with the noise to ever consider getting one even if someone else offered to pay for it. Why get something that puts out twice the noise for only a 5% gain in performance? I would prefer to have half the performance if getting more performance meant sacrificing my hearing (I would have to turn the volume up quite a bit in order to drown out the cooling fan noise).
Actually, dB is a logarithmic scale so 60dB is 1000x more noise than 30dB for example.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

bloaty

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
ok so the fx hit 77db? dont people get hearing damage at around 100db or so? I think i heard it on a special about people who cant hear because of rock concerts.

And according to anandtecs review the fx sacraficed quality for performance(AA examples on anandtecs site)? dirty play or unintensional? =P

dukeofcrydee

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I agree as well that the GeForce FX has disappointed. I plan on finally upgrading my aging 800MHz GeForce2 GTS 64MB (former)God Box around April. And if ATI comes through with either a new card, or a price drop on the 9700 Pro, then I'm going with ATI next.

I game with headphones, but if the noise is as loud as a vacuum cleaner and can be heard in other rooms, then that's just stupid. And the review is right, how can they lower the noise by production time?? Lower the fan quality/speed?? So the heat rises even more? I don't think so.

Bottom line is they have a card that's 5% faster is SOME tests, mostly high-end where few people game at, and is even beaten in some mainstream settings. Plus much more heat & noise. And at either the same or higher price point (depending on ATI). Sounds like a loser to me.

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Actually, hearing damage starts to occur at 90 dBa.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Hmm, imagine if you have a GFFX + a 7000 or 8000RPM delta fan + a couple of high-speed case fans alll in one case. You could easily have a 90dB system now!!! w00t!!! :smile: :tongue:

Prepare to go deaf!!!

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
well i've always been a fan of nVdia cards over ATI, but i think ATI has this one won with the 9700pro..

if ATI lowers the price from like upper 300's to maybe mid $ range like 340--360$, people will still buy this card over the the FX, i thought the FX was going to BLOW AWAY everything..

like i said once before in another graphics post... all this ATI/nVidia means nothing because now nVidia might release something quick to really impress you guys, but then another 3 months later or something ATI will release something to kill that.. and so on and so on. I think ATI have done a great job makeing a well manufacturd GPU. nVidia didn't impress me enough to say Holy crap i gotta have this thing.. i just built a system and through a gf4ti4200.. and it's pretty nice, so i won't be upgrading for awhile.. maybe over a yr.. so by then, who the hell knows what will be out.

congrats to ATI i think they have the better card in this matchup

RIG
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
hm..

several combinations:
an ati card, with .13, with the ram of the gfFX, the bandwith of the ati, and the cooling system of the gfFX, clocked at highest possible speed. gfFX could not even see this radeon in front of itself, it would be too far away

ati card, .13, and all the fancy features. no fan, clocked to 9500 speed or so. should be runable in a laptop. try to get the gfFX to even only fit into a laptop:D

gfFX with passive cooling.. oh wait.. i was dreaming:D

all in all, i loved the comparison to the voodoo5.
then, the gfFX has the FX because of the work together with ex - 3dFX.. then i remember the statement of nvidia they took the best of 3dFX as well over for this card..
hm.. i just remember 3dFX died..:D

and their cheatings for gaining speed by killing image quality (see anandtech).. i'm sorry.. they once cried around on ati for their faster anysotropic, wich was a bit lower quality than nvidias anysotropic. look at this now.

never ever say ati did cheated during the last years. _THAT_NOW_ is cheating:D

but i don't think anyone at nvidia could hear our cries. they yet now run gfFX.. even in 2d mode, they could not hear us..:D

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

bloaty

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
haha yes 90db of gaming power. Imagine, your very own "The Who" concert right inside your PC!

Just got back from the dentist here, he must think im some kind of masochist. I started laughing when i heard the drill rev up, couldnt stop thinking about the sound of the geforceFX. Then i thought about someone trying to put an FX card in their mouth, man that thing would suck your kindeys out in a jiffy.

good times.

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Did anyone actually download the MP3s from the article. That sound is horrible. No way would I buy that. I thought my Radeon 9700Pro was a little noisy. This beast from Nvidia is awful. They would have to quadruple the performance before I would even consider it. Or maybe I could put the computer in the basement and monitor upstairs. Can anyone say headset?

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>

RobD

Champion
I downloaded them, and after 10 seconds my jaw hit the desk. I couldn't beleive what I was hearing. It felt like the cleaners were in the office revving up the vac!

And not even a decent jump in performance over the R9700Pro. Nvidia just launched the worlds biggest lemon.

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
then i remember the statement of nvidia they took the best of 3dFX as well over for this card..
hm.. i just remember 3dFX died..:D
Well, I just think that it is a good thing that nVidia started making chipsets. They have offered much more innovation there than with their video cards. I don't know how they are going to sell the Geforce FX, but I still just love the nForce2. I wonder what the nForce3 chipset will be like? Wouldn't an integrated Radeon 9500 be nice? But I don't think they would ever do that unless they gave up doing graphics cards completely. Even then, they would probably prefer to work with someone other than ATI.

Anyway, my point was that they shouldn't die like 3dfx. Not while they produce such a good chipset.

dukeofcrydee

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
if ATI lowers the price from like upper 300's to maybe mid $ range like 340--360$, people will still buy this card over the the FX, i thought the FX was going to BLOW AWAY everything..

Actually the Radeon 9700 Pro retails for $350 now. The $400 is MSRP I think.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I'm going to start recommending the FX to trolls.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>

andrewbadlose

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
even that is a little to harse even the nasty amd /intel trolls don't desserve that!... do you think it would be posible to put a usable cooling system on the fx... or would the person have to mod it and put a cpu heatsink on it... is the abit otes this loud as it uses the same type of cooling on a 4200...

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/andrewwgoodwin/index.htm" target="_new">Computer Specs Updated</A>..<A HREF="http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4899328" target="_new">3d mark 2k1 1249points</A>

eden

Champion
Thank god more mainboards have everything integrated, so PCI slots are less used, for this card to sit in right lol. (nForce 2 from Asus had us wondering, we did not have any PCI card to put in, weird...)

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

eden

Champion
It still strikes me as odd that 500MHZ was needed for 350M triangles.
Seriously, it has always been that a MHZ equals 1M triangles, but it seems to be this card either has over 30% pipeline bubbles per second, or that it has some shared architecture that lowers the total amount of processed triangles.
Not only this, but the 500MHZ core was most likely mainly for this reason, to get the extra triangles out, yet that "quantum" 175MHZ jump warranted the death of the beginning of 0.13m video cards.
At 68ºC, 75Watts, with expensive and noisy cooling, this is most certainly not recommended for any AMD system running Thunderbirds, with a very closed and isolated case!
Not to mention it could probably transfer and burn a PCI card in slot 2!

If nVidia really worked hard on it, they could've been able to create more triangles per Hertz like the R300 does (having one per Hz), clocked it at or below the R300's core clock, AND removed such cooling, AND used perhaps passive cooling since they run on 0.13m, AND reserved so much headroom for the FX, and have gotten a still more performing card. Let us not board onto the death of DDR-2 as we know it, going for the overkill 1GHZ DDR-2 bandwidth, at 128-bit (wow, and it runs hot at THIS 'outdated' bit width), and manage less bandwidth. 48GB/sec of theoretical bandwidth, yeah right!
No, nVidia went for such raw weakness, that it is even more shameful than the Pentium 4's departure from high IPC. If nVidia did it right, they'd have done what I said with the core clock, went for much slower DDR-2 but used the real 4-bit prefetch, OR switched like ATi to 256-bit width, and could have doubled their bandwidth and eaten ATi alive.
Instead they went for such very questionable component speeds, that it feels weird that nVidia is even doing this. With the current comments, I feel this board will become quite easily a pro-ATi board for a good while. This is what happens when competition gets fierce, and suprisingly, head honchos like nVidia failed miserably. It kind of shows that maybe Intel could have the same scenario unexpectedly. (though it won't, the Wilamette P4 was a humiliation yet it sold well thanks to Intel's OEM support and marketting, and competition pricing)

My friend threw 2 lines of HAHAs on MSN after he heard the MP3s. Seriously, no one in their right mind can survive THAT. Even my Volcano 7 in summer was ok compared to this!
Free Swiftec MCX462s to everyone!!!

Oh and let us not board the amount of glitches it comes with.
Look, I can understand that a new generation card will come with problems, geForce 3 was exactly that. (and even worse at first) But unfortunatly this is now a time of extreme competition. ATi back then was barely competing, nVidia had the market! Now, since ATi has created and is still creating more and more fans and potential buyers, nVidia's low performing and buggy card CANNOT do such errors in this capitalistic market. This time, they CANNOT. But I like the title of the article, well said THG.
Those who said nVidia drivers are fool-proof should reword their statements, because now even the geForce 4s have been uncovered having Zbuffer glitches.

As an owner of a geForce 3 Ti200, I must say, this card of mine feels better than the new generation of nVidia's, and I am sorely and very much disappointed.

However, the card is not without its highs, it is good to see it perform decently well, and it did have some nice rises occasionally (not to mention a very surprising 30MT/sec score in the 8Light test of 3dMark 2001, a two-fold jump which is simply eye opening), however, most of them were in the synthetic benches, which is not what we want to look at.

Even with the current R9700PRO's rather weak driver performance (as stated and seen), it was able to compete so well.

Can you guys imagine the cheaper 5800 plain version? Maybe that 200MT spec found on a reseller was not wrong. Dear god, that card better sell for less than 200$ and with a god forbid more adequate cooler.

The thing that did however surprise me was the price tag. I thought it'd go for the 100% unsellable 499$, but it turned out 399$, which in a way improves the overall selling chance. But even then, only fanboys will be tempted, and even if it reaches a 200$ price tag one day, the noise level alone is a very big back turner which can affect even very low priced cards.
How on earth did nVidia continue with this card is beyond me. No really, it just frankly surprises me there was no improvement whatsoever! They PROMISED cooler noise improvement. And the benches we saw on the web seemed to indicate potential which was not even seen! I simply don't understand how can nVidia launch the card out like this with no refining, thinking in their right mind that it will sell for suckers, when it is already being bashed worldwide. It's like they are thinking with Intel's mindset, and their marketting prowess.

I now look at mr. Flamethrower, who has always praised nVidia. Please, do share your thoughts, as you so seemed to indicate it could buy you out.

I am really happy for ATi, I am sure they are now already predicting even more rising sales, as I bet over 30% of the market was holding out to see how the FX will perform and retail. Now that 30% has decided, it is going the other route. Hurrah, the stocks will rise, my school virtual stock simulation portfolio will rise finally! :smile:

EDIT: After checking some Anandtech benchmarks, which featured the 5800 plain, I am enticed to wonder, just how much will it cost. The performance difference is not huge, and if it can sell for less than 299$ and with a refined silent cooler, it just might be worthy. Even then though, the cards have so much driver performance problems, they tend to lose so often in many tests, so it is still a very undecisive situation.
--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 01/27/03 04:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
an ati card, with .13, with the ram of the gfFX, the bandwith of the ati, and the cooling system of the gfFX, clocked at highest possible speed. gfFX could not even see this radeon in front of itself, it would be too far away
No.... no. You can't make me use that cooling system. I don't have my pilot's license.

You left out one excellent idea. An ATI card w/ 0.13, DDR2 RAM of the GFFX, clocked at highest possible speed w/ water cooling for the CPU and GPU. <i><font color=purple>Silent and violent!</font color=purple></i>

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>

Lamoni

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Water cooling is an idea. How hard would it be to remove that insane cooler and use water cooling? If it isn't too hard, then maybe the GeForce FX isn't so bad after all. They just need to put a warning on the box that says

'water cooling highly recommended, possible hearing damage with stock fan'

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Yes, but the cost is getting silly just to run stock speeds with reasonable noise. Hopefully the production units will do better with the noise.