Dell Reinstallation CD

I want to reinstall XP without all the extra stuff that Dell put on the
pre-built machine. What is the difference vs. the single user retail version
of XP? There seems to be a Dell cab file in an OEM directory, and stuff like
the recovery console is not available on the CD. Will I get a clean XP
install from this CD, or a "Dell" version? Why is critical utilities like
cmdcons not included?
20 answers Last reply
More about dell reinstallation

    you will get a clean install of xp oem edition. the only difference i am
    aware of between the oem edition (the cd supplied with computers rather than
    purchased in a separate retails package) is that it has a "manufacturer
    link" option in the start menu. you can disable this link bye entering the
    'taskbar and start menu properties', selecting the 'start menu' tab,
    'customize' button, 'advanced' tab, and unchecking the box next to
    'manufacturer link'. if you start the install by first booting from the
    dell oem xp cd then you will not be asked to 'activate' windows. i suggest
    that once your installation is complete that you copy the entire '\i386'
    folder from the cd to the root directory of the hard disk (c:\i386) and then
    editing the 'source path' in the registry to 'c:\' which you will find under
    hklocalmachine-software-microsoft-windowsnt-currentversion

    "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I want to reinstall XP without all the extra stuff that Dell put on the
    > pre-built machine. What is the difference vs. the single user retail
    > version
    > of XP? There seems to be a Dell cab file in an OEM directory, and stuff
    > like
    > the recovery console is not available on the CD. Will I get a clean XP
    > install from this CD, or a "Dell" version? Why is critical utilities like
    > cmdcons not included?

    > i suggest that once your installation is complete that
    > you copy the entire '\i386' folder from the cd to the
    > root directory of the hard disk (c:\i386) and then
    > editing the 'source path' in the registry

    Christopher,

    I wonder if that is still necessary? I've been used to doing that
    since Win95 (copying the Win95 cab files) so as to avoid the irritating
    "please insert your Windows 95 disk" when making hardware changes. But
    I've never received similar msgs from XP, even though not all machines
    have the I386 folder copied. However, they do have a
    "C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab" file, so I'm wondering if the
    XP setup routine puts that there to avoid the "please insert.." prompts
    without having to copy the entire I386 folder. (I don't have any
    special knowledge that that is the case, so am wondering if you know.)

    i too make the copy of the source to the local disk out of habit... and
    generally find that it is not needed for changes made to the os, but there
    was one time that i was asked for the original os cd but i can't recall what
    i was doing to result in that message... so i just do it to provide a
    complete installation that is similar to the oem installation. why doesn't
    the install script just do this for you i wonder.

    <dg1261@cs.com> wrote in message
    >> i suggest that once your installation is complete that
    >> you copy the entire '\i386' folder from the cd to the
    >> root directory of the hard disk (c:\i386) and then
    >> editing the 'source path' in the registry
    >
    > Christopher,
    >
    > I wonder if that is still necessary? I've been used to doing that
    > since Win95 (copying the Win95 cab files) so as to avoid the irritating
    > "please insert your Windows 95 disk" when making hardware changes. But
    > I've never received similar msgs from XP, even though not all machines
    > have the I386 folder copied. However, they do have a
    > "C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab" file, so I'm wondering if the
    > XP setup routine puts that there to avoid the "please insert.." prompts
    > without having to copy the entire I386 folder. (I don't have any
    > special knowledge that that is the case, so am wondering if you know.)

    Using '95 or the '98 variations:
    if you copy d:\win98 to c:\win98, THEN run setup from c:\win98, the system
    will always search the hard drive first and you'll never need the CDROM.

    In the NT family of programs (2K, XP) the i386 folder is copied to the hdd
    during setup automatically, and the pointers are set to look there.

    >i too make the copy of the source to the local disk out of habit... and
    >generally find that it is not needed for changes made to the os, but there
    >was one time that i was asked for the original os cd but i can't recall
    >what i was doing to result in that message... so i just do it to provide a
    >complete installation that is similar to the oem installation. why doesn't
    >the install script just do this for you i wonder.
    >
    > <dg1261@cs.com> wrote in message
    >>> i suggest that once your installation is complete that
    >>> you copy the entire '\i386' folder from the cd to the
    >>> root directory of the hard disk (c:\i386) and then
    >>> editing the 'source path' in the registry
    >>
    >> Christopher,
    >>
    >> I wonder if that is still necessary? I've been used to doing that
    >> since Win95 (copying the Win95 cab files) so as to avoid the irritating
    >> "please insert your Windows 95 disk" when making hardware changes. But
    >> I've never received similar msgs from XP, even though not all machines
    >> have the I386 folder copied. However, they do have a
    >> "C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab" file, so I'm wondering if the
    >> XP setup routine puts that there to avoid the "please insert.." prompts
    >> without having to copy the entire I386 folder. (I don't have any
    >> special knowledge that that is the case, so am wondering if you know.)

    It is not true that the link is the only differance. The Dell CD does not
    have the recovery console, and possibly other XP Pro features - that I've
    not yet discovered.

    > you will get a clean install of xp oem edition. the only difference i am
    > aware of between the oem edition (the cd supplied with computers rather
    than
    > purchased in a separate retails package) is that it has a "manufacturer
    > link" option in the start menu. you can disable this link bye entering
    the
    > 'taskbar and start menu properties', selecting the 'start menu' tab,
    > 'customize' button, 'advanced' tab, and unchecking the box next to
    > 'manufacturer link'. if you start the install by first booting from the
    > dell oem xp cd then you will not be asked to 'activate' windows. i
    suggest
    > that once your installation is complete that you copy the entire '\i386'
    > folder from the cd to the root directory of the hard disk (c:\i386) and
    then
    > editing the 'source path' in the registry to 'c:\' which you will find
    under
    > hklocalmachine-software-microsoft-windowsnt-currentversion
    >
    > "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >I want to reinstall XP without all the extra stuff that Dell put on the
    > > pre-built machine. What is the difference vs. the single user retail
    > > version
    > > of XP? There seems to be a Dell cab file in an OEM directory, and stuff
    > > like
    > > the recovery console is not available on the CD. Will I get a clean XP
    > > install from this CD, or a "Dell" version? Why is critical utilities
    like
    > > cmdcons not included?

    Funny...my Dell CD included the recovery console.

    Ted Zieglar

    > It is not true that the link is the only differance. The Dell CD does not
    > have the recovery console, and possibly other XP Pro features - that I've
    > not yet discovered.
    >
    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >> you will get a clean install of xp oem edition. the only difference i am
    >> aware of between the oem edition (the cd supplied with computers rather
    > than
    >> purchased in a separate retails package) is that it has a "manufacturer
    >> link" option in the start menu. you can disable this link bye entering
    > the
    >> 'taskbar and start menu properties', selecting the 'start menu' tab,
    >> 'customize' button, 'advanced' tab, and unchecking the box next to
    >> 'manufacturer link'. if you start the install by first booting from the
    >> dell oem xp cd then you will not be asked to 'activate' windows. i
    > suggest
    >> that once your installation is complete that you copy the entire '\i386'
    >> folder from the cd to the root directory of the hard disk (c:\i386) and
    > then
    >> editing the 'source path' in the registry to 'c:\' which you will find
    > under
    >> hklocalmachine-software-microsoft-windowsnt-currentversion
    >>
    >> "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> >I want to reinstall XP without all the extra stuff that Dell put on the
    >> > pre-built machine. What is the difference vs. the single user retail
    >> > version
    >> > of XP? There seems to be a Dell cab file in an OEM directory, and stuff
    >> > like
    >> > the recovery console is not available on the CD. Will I get a clean XP
    >> > install from this CD, or a "Dell" version? Why is critical utilities
    > like
    >> > cmdcons not included?

    Every copy of Dell's XP I own has the recovery console. What makes you
    think it does not?

    Tom
    "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > It is not true that the link is the only differance. The Dell CD does not
    > have the recovery console, and possibly other XP Pro features - that I've
    > not yet discovered.
    >
    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >> you will get a clean install of xp oem edition. the only difference i am
    >> aware of between the oem edition (the cd supplied with computers rather
    > than
    >> purchased in a separate retails package) is that it has a "manufacturer
    >> link" option in the start menu. you can disable this link bye entering
    > the
    >> 'taskbar and start menu properties', selecting the 'start menu' tab,
    >> 'customize' button, 'advanced' tab, and unchecking the box next to
    >> 'manufacturer link'. if you start the install by first booting from the
    >> dell oem xp cd then you will not be asked to 'activate' windows. i
    > suggest
    >> that once your installation is complete that you copy the entire '\i386'
    >> folder from the cd to the root directory of the hard disk (c:\i386) and
    > then
    >> editing the 'source path' in the registry to 'c:\' which you will find
    > under
    >> hklocalmachine-software-microsoft-windowsnt-currentversion
    >>
    >> "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> >I want to reinstall XP without all the extra stuff that Dell put on the
    >> > pre-built machine. What is the difference vs. the single user retail
    >> > version
    >> > of XP? There seems to be a Dell cab file in an OEM directory, and stuff
    >> > like
    >> > the recovery console is not available on the CD. Will I get a clean XP
    >> > install from this CD, or a "Dell" version? Why is critical utilities
    > like
    >> > cmdcons not included?

    that's not my experience or recommendation...

    with win98 i format the hd and then copy the source folder (d:\win98) and
    its sub folders to a c:\windows\options\cabs folder (just like an oem
    install). this means that other knowledgeable people that may step up to
    the computer won't have to hunt to find where the previous person may have
    placed it. additionally i do the copy using the xcopy command that is on
    the windows 98 cd (d:\tools\oldmsdos\xcopy if i remember correctly... it has
    been a while) using the '/s' switch to capture the sub folders one of which
    contains the windows tour. the only caveat is that setup will come to a
    point where it asks you what folder you want to install windows in and will
    complain that 'c:\windows' already exists (because you already created
    c:\windows\options\cabs) and so suggests 'c:\windows.000' as an alternate
    folder... so you have to specify the 'c:\windows' folder.

    with windows xp oem cds, i have not had the good fortune of the \i386 folder
    being copied to the root folder like how a factory software image is
    shipped. and i find that the registry refers to the 'install source' as the
    'd:\i386' (the cd drive). hence my detailed suggestion above. perhaps the
    retail version does it differently, but i doubt that. a system restore is
    an entirely different matter and perhaps that is what you are talking about.

    "personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk" <dick_silk@antispam.gov> wrote in message
    > Using '95 or the '98 variations:
    > if you copy d:\win98 to c:\win98, THEN run setup from c:\win98, the system
    > will always search the hard drive first and you'll never need the CDROM.
    >
    > In the NT family of programs (2K, XP) the i386 folder is copied to the hdd
    > during setup automatically, and the pointers are set to look there.
    >
    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >>i too make the copy of the source to the local disk out of habit... and
    >>generally find that it is not needed for changes made to the os, but there
    >>was one time that i was asked for the original os cd but i can't recall
    >>what i was doing to result in that message... so i just do it to provide a
    >>complete installation that is similar to the oem installation. why
    >>doesn't the install script just do this for you i wonder.
    >>
    >> <dg1261@cs.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Christopher,
    >>>
    >>> I wonder if that is still necessary? I've been used to doing that
    >>> since Win95 (copying the Win95 cab files) so as to avoid the irritating
    >>> "please insert your Windows 95 disk" when making hardware changes. But
    >>> I've never received similar msgs from XP, even though not all machines
    >>> have the I386 folder copied. However, they do have a
    >>> "C:\Windows\Driver Cache\i386\driver.cab" file, so I'm wondering if the
    >>> XP setup routine puts that there to avoid the "please insert.." prompts
    >>> without having to copy the entire I386 folder. (I don't have any
    >>> special knowledge that that is the case, so am wondering if you know.)

    billy, if you read my post you would have seen that i clearly said it was
    the only difference that i am aware of (not the de-facto only difference
    period). i stand by that statement. it really can't be disputed unless you
    have some superhuman psychic abilities or are calling me a liar ;) as for
    the recovery console, my experience is the same as ted and tom; it is in
    there... but there might be some other differences (though i suspect they
    only would be default preferences as dictated by the installation script,
    not feature differences).

    "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > It is not true that the link is the only differance. The Dell CD does not
    > have the recovery console, and possibly other XP Pro features - that I've
    > not yet discovered.
    >
    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >> you will get a clean install of xp oem edition. the only difference i am
    >> aware of between the oem edition (the cd supplied with computers rather
    > than
    >> purchased in a separate retails package) is that it has a "manufacturer
    >> link" option in the start menu. you can disable this link bye entering
    > the
    >> 'taskbar and start menu properties', selecting the 'start menu' tab,
    >> 'customize' button, 'advanced' tab, and unchecking the box next to
    >> 'manufacturer link'. if you start the install by first booting from the
    >> dell oem xp cd then you will not be asked to 'activate' windows. i
    > suggest
    >> that once your installation is complete that you copy the entire '\i386'
    >> folder from the cd to the root directory of the hard disk (c:\i386) and
    > then
    >> editing the 'source path' in the registry to 'c:\' which you will find
    > under
    >> hklocalmachine-software-microsoft-windowsnt-currentversion
    >>
    >> "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> >I want to reinstall XP without all the extra stuff that Dell put on the
    >> > pre-built machine. What is the difference vs. the single user retail
    >> > version
    >> > of XP? There seems to be a Dell cab file in an OEM directory, and stuff
    >> > like
    >> > the recovery console is not available on the CD. Will I get a clean XP
    >> > install from this CD, or a "Dell" version? Why is critical utilities
    > like
    >> > cmdcons not included?

    There is one additional difference to mention, and I'm not bringing this up
    to be a PITA, because I respect Christopher's knowledge a great deal, so
    it's just for the record: The Dell CD also includes Dell's customizations to
    the Help and Support Center.

    Having said that, it appears from postings in the Dell Community Forum that
    historically, Dell's attempts to put support into its installation often
    don't work out for one reason or another. Dell's overlay of Help and Support
    can be removed.

    Ted Zieglar

    >I have to agree here. I ONLY copy the Win98 and NONE of the
    >sub-directories. I do, however, put it in c:\windows\options\cabs, as
    >that's where most people expect it.
    >
    > So you're both, sort of, right! (at least by me)
    >
    > Tom

    diplomatically put there, Tom... :-)

    Dick Silk -- The Computer Tutor
    http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk
    for rates and online chat

    - The more I know, the more I know there is more I need to know, and even
    more I know that I will never know. -- RC Silk

    What directory and what ia the name of the file?

    > billy, if you read my post you would have seen that i clearly said it was
    > the only difference that i am aware of (not the de-facto only difference
    > period). i stand by that statement. it really can't be disputed unless
    you
    > have some superhuman psychic abilities or are calling me a liar ;) as for
    > the recovery console, my experience is the same as ted and tom; it is in
    > there... but there might be some other differences (though i suspect they
    > only would be default preferences as dictated by the installation script,
    > not feature differences).
    >
    > "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > It is not true that the link is the only differance. The Dell CD does
    not
    > > have the recovery console, and possibly other XP Pro features - that
    I've
    > > not yet discovered.
    > >
    > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > >> you will get a clean install of xp oem edition. the only difference i
    am
    > >> aware of between the oem edition (the cd supplied with computers rather
    > > than
    > >> purchased in a separate retails package) is that it has a "manufacturer
    > >> link" option in the start menu. you can disable this link bye entering
    > > the
    > >> 'taskbar and start menu properties', selecting the 'start menu' tab,
    > >> 'customize' button, 'advanced' tab, and unchecking the box next to
    > >> 'manufacturer link'. if you start the install by first booting from
    the
    > >> dell oem xp cd then you will not be asked to 'activate' windows. i
    > > suggest
    > >> that once your installation is complete that you copy the entire
    '\i386'
    > >> folder from the cd to the root directory of the hard disk (c:\i386) and
    > > then
    > >> editing the 'source path' in the registry to 'c:\' which you will find
    > > under
    > >> hklocalmachine-software-microsoft-windowsnt-currentversion
    > >>
    > >> "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    XP
    > > like

    Where?

    > Funny...my Dell CD included the recovery console.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > It is not true that the link is the only differance. The Dell CD does
    not
    > > have the recovery console, and possibly other XP Pro features - that
    I've
    > > not yet discovered.
    > >
    > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > >> you will get a clean install of xp oem edition. the only difference i
    am
    > >> aware of between the oem edition (the cd supplied with computers rather
    > > than
    > >> purchased in a separate retails package) is that it has a "manufacturer
    > >> link" option in the start menu. you can disable this link bye entering
    > > the
    > >> 'taskbar and start menu properties', selecting the 'start menu' tab,
    > >> 'customize' button, 'advanced' tab, and unchecking the box next to
    > >> 'manufacturer link'. if you start the install by first booting from
    the
    > >> dell oem xp cd then you will not be asked to 'activate' windows. i
    > > suggest
    > >> that once your installation is complete that you copy the entire
    '\i386'
    > >> folder from the cd to the root directory of the hard disk (c:\i386) and
    > > then
    > >> editing the 'source path' in the registry to 'c:\' which you will find
    > > under
    > >> hklocalmachine-software-microsoft-windowsnt-currentversion
    > >>
    > >> "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    XP
    > > like

    Where is it located?

    > Every copy of Dell's XP I own has the recovery console. What makes you
    > think it does not?
    >
    > Tom
    > "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > It is not true that the link is the only differance. The Dell CD does
    not
    > > have the recovery console, and possibly other XP Pro features - that
    I've
    > > not yet discovered.
    > >
    > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > >> you will get a clean install of xp oem edition. the only difference i
    am
    > >> aware of between the oem edition (the cd supplied with computers rather
    > > than
    > >> purchased in a separate retails package) is that it has a "manufacturer
    > >> link" option in the start menu. you can disable this link bye entering
    > > the
    > >> 'taskbar and start menu properties', selecting the 'start menu' tab,
    > >> 'customize' button, 'advanced' tab, and unchecking the box next to
    > >> 'manufacturer link'. if you start the install by first booting from
    the
    > >> dell oem xp cd then you will not be asked to 'activate' windows. i
    > > suggest
    > >> that once your installation is complete that you copy the entire
    '\i386'
    > >> folder from the cd to the root directory of the hard disk (c:\i386) and
    > > then
    > >> editing the 'source path' in the registry to 'c:\' which you will find
    > > under
    > >> hklocalmachine-software-microsoft-windowsnt-currentversion
    > >>
    > >> "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    XP
    > > like

    I followed the instructions in Dell's knowledge base:

    "How do I use the Microsoft Windows XP Recovery Console?"
    http://tinyurl.com/6rfux

    Ted Zieglar

    > Where?

    >> Funny...my Dell CD included the recovery console.
    >>
    >> Ted Zieglar
    >>
    >> "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > It is not true that the link is the only differance. The Dell CD does
    > not
    >> > have the recovery console, and possibly other XP Pro features - that
    > I've
    >> > not yet discovered.
    >> >
    >> > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > am
    >> > than
    >> > the
    > the
    >> > suggest
    > '\i386'
    >> > then
    >> > under

    > the
    > stuff
    > XP
    >> > like

    You boot to the XP CD and it gives you the option. See the previous post
    with more detailed instructions.
    > Where is it located?

    >> Every copy of Dell's XP I own has the recovery console. What makes you
    >> think it does not?
    >>
    >> Tom
    >> "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > It is not true that the link is the only differance. The Dell CD does
    > not
    >> > have the recovery console, and possibly other XP Pro features - that
    > I've
    >> > not yet discovered.
    >> >
    >> > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > am
    >> > than
    >> > the
    > the
    >> > suggest
    > '\i386'
    >> > then
    >> > under

    > the
    > stuff
    > XP
    >> > like

    given your last response i thought you would be telling us... read the above
    replies for the answer, and remember, people here are helping you, so try to
    be polite and appreciative of their efforts.

    > What directory and what ia the name of the file?
    >
    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >> billy, if you read my post you would have seen that i clearly said it was
    >> the only difference that i am aware of (not the de-facto only difference
    >> period). i stand by that statement. it really can't be disputed unless
    > you
    >> have some superhuman psychic abilities or are calling me a liar ;) as
    >> for
    >> the recovery console, my experience is the same as ted and tom; it is in
    >> there... but there might be some other differences (though i suspect they
    >> only would be default preferences as dictated by the installation script,
    >> not feature differences).
    >>
    >> "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> > It is not true that the link is the only differance. The Dell CD does
    > not
    >> > have the recovery console, and possibly other XP Pro features - that
    > I've
    >> > not yet discovered.
    >> >
    >> > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > am
    >> > than
    >> > the
    > the
    >> > suggest
    > '\i386'
    >> > then
    >> > under

    > the
    > stuff
    > XP
    >> > like

    Who is not being appreciative? I think you need to get the stick out of your
    *ss. Just because someone responds with a question or questions your opinion
    doesn't mean he's not appreciative. All I said what that your comment was
    not true, and asked for specifics. I noticed how you responded to the other
    gentleman and I feel that you are not being very polite.

    The other responders provided the resources that I asked for in the original
    post. That's all I was looking for - a confirmation and/or direction.

    > given your last response i thought you would be telling us... read the
    above
    > replies for the answer, and remember, people here are helping you, so try
    > be polite and appreciative of their efforts.
    >
    > "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > What directory and what ia the name of the file?
    > >
    > > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > >> billy, if you read my post you would have seen that i clearly said it
    was
    > >> the only difference that i am aware of (not the de-facto only
    difference
    > >> period). i stand by that statement. it really can't be disputed
    unless
    > > you
    > >> have some superhuman psychic abilities or are calling me a liar ;) as
    > >> for
    > >> the recovery console, my experience is the same as ted and tom; it is
    in
    > >> there... but there might be some other differences (though i suspect
    they
    > >> only would be default preferences as dictated by the installation
    script,
    > >> not feature differences).
    > >>
    > >> "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > not
    > > I've

    > > am
    > > the
    > > '\i386'

    > > the
    > > stuff
    > > XP

    <plonk>

    > Who is not being appreciative? I think you need to get the stick out of
    > your
    > *ss.

    You must have a special magic XP CD!

    > right now, I've got 4 of them (2, not including misc backups) totalling
    > over 600 megs of drive space. I did NOT put them there, and I formatted /
    > reinstalled only about a month ago.
    >
    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >> you have found that windows xp copies a \i386 folder? would like to know
    >> how you and rcsilk manage that. thanks.

Dell CD-Rom Windows XP Computers