Help me Find Card, Win a Prize!

buttfacepooper

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
The prize is a thank you very very very very very much.

Here are the rules for the card:

1) It must have stable, efficient, fast LINUX drivers. The computer will have Red Hat Linux.
2) It must work with an Apple Cinematic Display (I think this means it needs a DVI-I connector)
3) It must be very fast for protein modelling and other graphics intensive things (think 3d workstation graphics caliber)
4) Lets set the price limit at $5000 dollars US.
5) It must be compatible with a Pentium 4 CPU and Intel chipset (some 3dlabs cards (like the oxygen) suck in their compatibility in my past experiences).

GOGOGOGOGO!
You get a free thanks for an entry!

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY WHY WHY WHY NO USE APPLE DISPLAY ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

:evil: Wow, if he's here who's running hell? :evil:

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
lol, it's response time certainly doesn't. With that said, the issue is that the cinema display uses a proprietary connector for the mac which includes usb and power. Thus, u'll need to either splice the wires or get a converter so that you can hook it up to an outlet and run it w/ DVI. Also, why the cinema display? A big crt would serve u so much better.
In terms of a vid card, I have an answer for you: Quadro4 FX2000- ~$1850
In terms of drivers, I'm sure nv will conjure some up.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

buttfacepooper

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
Thanks for the post. I'm looking into your suggestion. Stay tuned.

PS> "Apple will not disclose the monitor's pixel response time, but it appears to be faster than the 25 milliseconds typical of most high-end LCDs."