Reason for GF-FX huge size and heat?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I remember the Riva 128ZX. When the TNT came out, it was a Riva 128ZX with some modules added (can't remember which offhand, maybe T&L). Then the TNT2 came out, which was a TNT with some modules added. Then the GeForce came out, which was a TNT2 with a whole slew of module added and a few revisions to the earlier parts. Etc, etc. Could it be what we have hear is a bunch of wasted space? As in millions of extra transistors that could have been eliminated through a carefull review of their functions? Are we dealing with a chip that is only large because the modules serve more generic funcitions instead of all being taylor to each other? I would suspect this, but would like to know what YOU think.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

dhlucke

Polypheme
Tough to know really. I think the real question is when are they going to fix it?

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>

KraftyMcVay

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2002
I'ld say thas a confirmation. Card has so much stuff on there its not even funny. Look at the 9700pro it has half the modules and less BS and still runs at about the same speed. Now tell me if i'm off on thinking this, couldnt you just overclock your 9700pro a bit and look!!! its magically the same speed, if not a little bit faster, than the GeforceFX? Lol, silly Nvidia.

Streamlining their card though probably would have helped keep the heat down a little bit more i would think, not to mention not make it look so god-awful huge too.

The Pentium 5! Same bang, for more bucks!

Helpmostimes

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
Well heat is a factor,,but with all new gadgets and fans at high CFM,,Also not to mention the the really good case desighns,it might not be a factor.Also i doubt if it wont be overclockable.Some cards end up that way until they hit the market.Ive got a Gainward GF2 TI 500 XP Golden Sample on a Mobo that the Manufacturer said it would not work on.Well thats not a good example,but thay will refine it as they always do.Im happy with the card i have..It keeps up with the best of them in most games..The way i figure it is,,
"Seems more like bragging rights.Most people wont use all that power.If you want to play games,get a dedicated console,like a playstation,Xbox or what have you.They play smoother and are a lot cheaper"
as a note--Wait till Gainward gets this thing..........

dhlucke

Polypheme
Actually the gainward golden samples use faster memory and are meant for overclocking. My GF2 Golden Sample overclocked like a champ. I love Gainward.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>

nausicaa

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
my take is that nvidia wrongfully assessed their vision. vlsi design inherently uses more transistors than absolutely necessary, but on such a large scale the tradeoff for the resulting modularity and abstraction usually is more than desirable. but, with the increasing complexity of the algorithms used to implement complex graphics, i think it may be getting more and more difficult to modulate and simplify the logic...much more so than with cpu design and layout. lots more unique and intricate logic. seems to me nvidia should be spending more time expanding rather than steaming ahead. 256bit bus would have been nice. though, all in all, i think this will turn out for the better...a wake up call for nvidia, and a warning to ati.
on a side note, i would like to see how a shrink on the 9700pro with a nice bump to the clock will perform...probably no need to actively cool at 400MHz
- nausicaa

"to start press any key..."
where's the ANY key?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The shrunken R300 will be called the R350 and might have a couple new features on the chip, but the main features will be higher clock speed and DDRII. Because .13 micron will eventually result in higher yeilds, I expect the R300 to transition to it as well, although the new R300 card might come with a new name and perhaps even slower memory (look at the 8500 to 9100 transition as an example).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I guess they could dual-channel 128-bit DDRII. I think they are getting 256-bit DDR by running 2 parallel 128-bit channels right now.

Hmm, the R300 conversion, let's speculate on that a minute. If they shrink it (which they should, eventually), it will probably be after the 9700 Pro is no longer a current product (see the 8500 to 9100 conversion). It would probably be a replacement for the 9500 pro...so it might have some pipes cut...bah, who knows. Anyone have the goods on this?

flowmaster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
Hey HELPMOSTIMES its not a good thing to tell people not to go buy computers stuff in a "Hardcore Computer" websites that specializes in computer parts. Not going around playing kids consoles like playstation 2 and whatnots.
Dont get me wrong the game consoles are good but computer gaming rigs are "toys" for the big guys that can do graphics and design or just use them for product or whatever.

:)

dhlucke

Polypheme
Consoles don't hold a candle to a computer.....

<font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
It's an expression. <A HREF="http://home.t-online.de/home/toni.goeller/idiom_wm/idioms306.html" target="_new">http://home.t-online.de/home/toni.goeller/idiom_wm/idioms306.html</A>

<font color=red>

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
if the consoles would hold a candle to a gfFX optimiced computer, it would be blown out anyways..:D

hairdryerFX

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

Helpmostimes

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
Im not telling anyone to buy a gameing console,or dont buy PC stuff..Yes a lot,well not as many as you think,us them for other stuff..A Lot of the posts around here are from what ive been reading for about 2 years now are all based on game play..Frame rates,Benchmarks.Imsure you use it for other things like I do.That is why I have a Game Console.Other wise i would have to many games on my systom,and not enough for the important stuff.Or what have you...............Its just a post.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Look at it this way, you can play DoomIII with high IQ (when it comes out) on an XBOX for half the price of the GFFX. The way I see, it holds 2 candles. :wink:

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

eden

Champion
Well Dave, I had doubted you a lot back in the day, as you were constantly giving negative shots at the NV30, but now I see how right you were.
My wrong! You were right, I could actually even use it to dry my hair in the morning so I don't wake everyone in the house after a shower! :smile:

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Helpmostimes, have you ever heard of putting a space after a period?
And only using ONE period at the end of each sentence?

I dyed my body green, branded an "n" on my chest, and stood on a box in the middle of Time Square for 3 days shouting, "ATI is the Anti-Christ!" to boost sales after nVidia had a losing quarter.

flowmaster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
dont forget the fx could be a space heater that can be put across the house to avoid noise then in about 5 hours the heat from the fx will fill your room up warming heat... NO! thats not heat that is the smell of burning silicon because your 400-500 dollar video card just took out your 2000 or more computer system and the rest of your house and kids.

[smiles]

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
YES, EDEN, YES........... YEAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I GOT YA! :D

(sorry, couldn't resist:D)

actually i'm quite dissapointed. on the other side, i'm happy to have my radeon since quite some while now..

hm.. we have a hair dryer yet at home.. and guess what? it was quite a bit cheaper, and does not need a pc around it to boot up:D

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

RobD

Champion
Saucer of milk to table 2 please!

And consoles suck because it costs small fortunes to get the games (well, in the UK anyway).

Where is the enjoyment in building a console anyway? (Step 1. Open the box. Step 2. Plug into TV. Step 3. Switch on console. Congratulations, you've just built a console!)

Sometimes it's kind of fun when the computer kicks your ass, because you get the better of it in the end, and that feels REAL good!

flowmaster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
I think consoles are mere kid toys that can give an hour of play and then the game is over and thrown to the stack of oldey's. The game cost 50 bucks ( same as computers) and only last about 1 week if they are rpg type and then gone again. And computer games you can know download skins and play mp3 in the game and also easily play with friends or just lan (even tho consoles can now do the same). But you dont see consoles doing word processing or in a huge business office faulty buildings.
And consoles suck at shoot games and half of the shoot games are poor quality.

:smile:

jjaallen

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I think what we have (in the FX) can appropriately be called a 'dancing elephant'. IOW, it is really cool to look at, but what good is it!