GPU cooling via Zalman ZM17CU heatsink

SpinSpinSugar

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2003
Ok, I have an A/V system in the living room consisting of just the box (nice black Lian Li affair, runs through the TV and hi-fi). My current goal is to make it practically silent.

I've swapped my Northbridge and CPU fans for Zalman copper sinks, and the PSU and case fans are all on speed switches. So far, so good. Nice discreet low whooooosing noise from those big diameter fans. Just got a noiseless HDD too - all that remains is the graphics card. Now this wasn't a problem until recently when I demanded a decent video image on the telly.

Originally I had a Geforce2 with an S-video out. No fan, but lousy image. Now I've acquired an ATi All-in-wonder (one of the originals, not the Radeon ones) and the image is SUPERB. However, it has a pesky high rpm whizzy fan which makes a high pitched whine.

As a result, I bought a Zalman graphics card copper sink too, which attaches to the GPU via thermal epoxy.

HOWEVER.

Can't get the ruddy current sink/fan off the GPU as it it appears to be bonded on. Does anyone....

a) have any experience of un-bonding sinks from GPUs, or

b) know a reasonably priced graphics card with the TV capabilities of an ATi all-in-wonder that is either fanless, or has a fan/sink unit which ISN'T bonded to the GPU?

Thanks, SSS

nausicaa

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
there are a lot of ways to unbond the sink, though i have NOT tried any as of yet, so i am just passing on what was told to me:
1.put card in freezer, the bonding will become brittle, then you can pry the sink
2.heat the sink using a hot blow-dryer, when hot enough slowly pry the sink, take your time, it will come
in any case, use wooden sticks to pry the heatsink so as not to damage or scratch the card. or you can use a credit card and a screwdriver, placing the credit card down to prevent the screwdriver from touching the card. after its off you will need to clean the chip with rubbing alcohol to get the remaining paste off.

hope this helped,
- nausicaa

"to start press any key..."
where's the ANY key?