Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card for Sony Vaio

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 28, 2003 8:04:33 PM

I'm considering buying a prebuilt Sony computer that already has the firewire, RCA, S-video, etc ports and software to do analog/digital video capture & transfer and TV in/out. It can come with 2.66 or higher CPU w/533 fsb, 512MB/333/ddr RAM, 1 or 2 120GB 7200 hard drives, DVD writer. I would use it only for video editing, DVD writing, TV in/out (and word processing, internet, etc). I would NOT use it for gaming. The graphics card can be nVidia GeF4 MX 440 64MB (128-bit DDR) or GeF4 Ti 4600 128MB (128-bit DDR).
So, for video editing, rendering, DVD, TV -- but NOT gaming -- does the 4600 add any benefits over the MX 440.
I ask because always the card reviews talk only about gaming. Thanks very much.
January 28, 2003 8:59:44 PM

Are those your only choices? For video, dvd and tv you would much rather have an ATI card(any old Radeon, an all in wonder might suit you best). The only diferences between the 440 and 4600 would be the 3d gaming aspect so i dont think either would differ much to you.
January 28, 2003 9:42:29 PM

i gotta agree with an all in wonder radeon
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2003 1:25:17 AM

These guys are right, you'd be best off with any All In Wonder card as far back as the AIW Radeon. AIW Radeon 7500 has some more features you might like. After that it's all gravy (meaning extra stuff you don't need).

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 29, 2003 1:40:55 AM

What kinda rendering are you going to be doing?
Maybe you would be interested in the Quadro or ATI X1/Z1 cards (mainly for certain types of 3d rendering).

I dyed my body green, branded an "n" on my chest, and stood on a box in the middle of Time Square for 3 days shouting, "ATI is the Anti-Christ!" to boost sales after nVidia had a losing quarter.
!