Need graphics advice!

Gangster

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
I need to buy a new notebook, and I´d like something with powerfull graphics. I´ve settled on a 2.4GHz P4 (533MHz FSB) with 512MB DDR, I need advice on the graphics though. I can get a SiS650 with 64MB DDR (shared), a Geforce2 GO with 32MB DDR or a ATI Radeon 32MB DDR. Which one is the fastest, or should I look for something completely different?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think the GeForce2 Go is a little faster than the Radeon Mobility. As long as both have their own unshared memory, either would be good. Also consider the TV-Out feature that comes with that graphics chip, as you may want to use your laptop to play DVD's or show pictures at a hotel.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I suggest you look for something different.
Theres a GeForce4 Go, and a better mobility radeon out too.
The GeForce4 Go is the best laptop card though, Dell and Alienware have models with them, possibly others but those are the only two i know of.
Theyll probly be pretty expensive though.

I dyed my body green, branded an "n" on my chest, and stood on a box in the middle of Time Square for 3 days shouting, "ATI is the Anti-Christ!" to boost sales after nVidia had a losing quarter.

taylanator

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
what? I strongly dissagree. I think in a laptop, quality and features are more important than a tiny bit more power. For instance, the RADEON 9000 has directX 8 plus about the same performance as the geforce4mx. The best graphics card for laptops in my opinion is for sure the radeon.

Even if you don't get the 9000 and you have to choose from either the three. I would most likely choose the radeon due to better TV-OUT features, better DVD playback Quality, better Quality in general, plus basicaly the same performance as the Geforce2 GO. I would go with the radeon no questions asked.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Where do you live? In the UK you can get Fujitsu-Siemens 2.4/2.53/2.8GHz laptops with ATI Radeon9000 for pretty cheap.

<b><font color=red>I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to keep up.</font color=red></b>