Ti4600 w/8x - Good buy?

wurrmm

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
I plan on upgrading my CPU, MEM, and GPU with in the next few months and wanted to know if the GF4 Ti4600 w/8x is a good choice considering how abismal the new Geforce FX is. I currently have an Asus A7N8X deluxe and don't really want to put an ATI on it. Seeing the reviews for the GF FX have really put me into a pinch because I was planning on getting one to replace my aging GF3 Ti500. I can get and EVGA Ti4600 w/8x for 255USD from newegg. Does anyone have anything to comment about my situation?

One mans throw-aways is another mans god-box. Help friends in need, I always do!!

taylanator

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2002
why is it that you don't want to put an ATI card in it? If its because of their past driver problems you can forget that, they have some of the most stable drivers on the market. You are pretty safe going with ATI. Besides, you wont see a huge difference between your ti-500 and your gf4 4600, theres practicaly no real technology increase and not that big of a performance boost either. I'd recommend getting a directX 9 card for the future. The 9500 pro looks vary attractive but thats just me.

cointrick

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2003
no one really needs 8X in a graphics cards as there is a very limited number of programs / games that use it. its a joke that the fx is 2 times the side of a radeon and does not preform as well as everyone was hoping for.

stick with your guns they are loaded lol

i am not signing nothing!!

dhlucke

Polypheme
No, that's not a good buy anymore. It's still a good card, but it's not a good buy. I would buy either a Radeon 9500 pro, 9700, or 9700 pro.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>

wurrmm

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
I guess the biggest reason why I don't want an ATI is my anal retentiveness about sticking an ATI on an Nvidia platform. I was never a FAN of ATI but do admit the 9700s are nice (a friend of mine has one on a top notch P4 system). Considering how long my GF3 has lasted me I think a 4600 will do the job nicely. However I still may get the GF FX if it turns out better when released. Or I may even wait for the NV31 or NV34 with might even come out this year (wishfull thinking). Basically, I will most likely upgrade in the spring when prices are lower and school is finished for the semester. And hopefully there will be a Barton 400mhz FSB as well. It seems like everytime I go to upgrade something better comes out, but that is the way of things. I am determined to go Barton and get a Corsair TWINX1024 PC3200LLPT (2x512mb). Even if the Bartons never go 400 I can always overclock. I am also determined to get something with Nvidia. Man....I sure do hope Nvidia gets their act together and that AMD puts out a 400FSB soon.

Oh...if I do go with the 4600, I am sure the price will be lower by the time I get it.

One mans throw-away is another mans god-box. Help friends in need, I always do!!

Sergotha

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I would wait and keep your GF3. Or go with a 9700 Pro. But jumping up to a 4600?? Just save and spend that extra to get a better card, one what you wont have to worry about replaceing for a while.

I am me... Unique... Just like you... Just like him... Just like all of them.

Falstaff

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2003
How would you compare the GeForce TI 4600 128MB against the ATI 9500 Pro 128MB?

The nVidia is more expensive and the bench marks in Tom's guide show that each one excels in a different catagory.

I am getting one or the other, unless you know of any 9700 Pro's for $200-$250?

Also, where do you think the best place to get a deal would be?

<<<<<<<<<<<JT>>>>>>>>>>>