Bios changes not sticking

Hello,

I have a Dimension 4100 with Bios Ver A05. When I go into setup and
change the Quick Boot from Enable to Disable and then Exit Saving
Changes, the machine boots without the "Quick Boot" as expected.
However the *next* time I reboot the Quick Boot feature is again
enabled, i.e., the change doesn't stick across subsequent reboots.

Has anyone else encountered this?

--
To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.

"Vic Dura" <vpdura@XXXhiwaay.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a Dimension 4100 with Bios Ver A05. When I go into setup and
> change the Quick Boot from Enable to Disable and then Exit Saving
> Changes, the machine boots without the "Quick Boot" as expected.
> However the *next* time I reboot the Quick Boot feature is again
> enabled, i.e., the change doesn't stick across subsequent reboots.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this?
>
> --
> To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.

No. I've got one here and haven't seen this. CMOS battery going flaky,
perhaps? Either that or a loose jumper on the mb....

Stew

how old is your cmos battery? low battery may not be able to maintain
changes.
Also, quick boot only works IF there is no problem detected in previous
bootup. Otherwise, full boot POST occurs. You might want to examine a full
boot display to see if there are boot issues, and also check the boot log in
the BIOS records.

"Vic Dura" <vpdura@XXXhiwaay.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a Dimension 4100 with Bios Ver A05. When I go into setup and
> change the Quick Boot from Enable to Disable and then Exit Saving
> Changes, the machine boots without the "Quick Boot" as expected.
> However the *next* time I reboot the Quick Boot feature is again
> enabled, i.e., the change doesn't stick across subsequent reboots.
>
> Has anyone else encountered this?
>
> --
> To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:36:18 -0600, RE: Re: Bios changes not sticking
"personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk" <dick_silk@antispam.gov> wrote:

>how old is your cmos battery? low battery may not be able to maintain
>changes.
>Also, quick boot only works IF there is no problem detected in previous
>bootup. Otherwise, full boot POST occurs. You might want to examine a full
>boot display to see if there are boot issues, and also check the boot log in
>the BIOS records.
>
>"Vic Dura" <vpdura@XXXhiwaay.net> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a Dimension 4100 with Bios Ver A05. When I go into setup and
>> change the Quick Boot from Enable to Disable and then Exit Saving
>> Changes, the machine boots without the "Quick Boot" as expected.
>> However the *next* time I reboot the Quick Boot feature is again
>> enabled, i.e., the change doesn't stick across subsequent reboots.
>>
>> Has anyone else encountered this?

The battery is about 3-years old. Same as the rest of the system.
Other changes that I make in the Bios Setup stick.

Thanks for the suggestions.

--

> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:36:18 -0600, RE: Re: Bios changes not sticking
> "personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk" <dick_silk@antispam.gov> wrote:
>
>>how old is your cmos battery? low battery may not be able to maintain
>>changes.
>>Also, quick boot only works IF there is no problem detected in previous
>>bootup. Otherwise, full boot POST occurs. You might want to examine a
>>full
>>boot display to see if there are boot issues, and also check the boot log
>>in
>>the BIOS records.
>>
>>"Vic Dura" <vpdura@XXXhiwaay.net> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a Dimension 4100 with Bios Ver A05. When I go into setup and
>>> change the Quick Boot from Enable to Disable and then Exit Saving
>>> Changes, the machine boots without the "Quick Boot" as expected.
>>> However the *next* time I reboot the Quick Boot feature is again
>>> enabled, i.e., the change doesn't stick across subsequent reboots.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else encountered this?
>

> The battery is about 3-years old. Same as the rest of the system.
> Other changes that I make in the Bios Setup stick.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions.

Under "quick boot options" for the 4100's support documentation/system setup
you'll find this:

<paste>

When set to Enabled, this option shortens POST by eliminating some tests. If
set to Disabled (default), all POST tests occur.

NOTE: The system setup program automatically checks the configuration of a
Simple Boot Flag-compatible operating system at POST. Depending on its
configuration, the system setup program may automatically set this option to
Enabled or Disabled.

<end>

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dzuul/syssetup.htm#event_log_configuration_submenuDefault the BIOS F9, then clear the NVRAM by going into 'advanced'/'resetconfiguration data' to 'yes'. Also clear the system event log while there,and mark all items as read.F10 to exit and save changes. See if it will now hold the setting.Stew

TRENDING THREADS