geforce 2 problem need major help

Ramses100

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Hi, I am having a major problem here.

I have a xfxgraphics geforce 2 mx400 pci card with 64md sdr running on a pentium 3 666mhz. This combination works fine under windows 98, but when playing games, it locks up.

After a lot of testing, reinstalling and messing about, I discovered that the problem is, that the card doesn't accept a cpu running on a fsb of 133 mhz. 100 or 66 mhz works fine.

Does anyone know how to fix this, so I can run on 133mhz??

Ramses

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's not your problem. What motherboard, RAM, and CPU are you running?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Ramses100

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Motherboard is a elite groupe systems p6stp-fl:
http://www.ecsusa.com/products/p6stp_fl.html

cpu is a intel 3 666mhz at a fsb of 133mhz

mem is 384 mb of pc133 ram (128 +256).

I tried removing the 128mb ram or the 256mb ram to no result. Only thing that did make the pci card work with games was getting rid of the p3 and puttin in my old celeron (at 66mhz fsb). That made me mess about with bios settings. I can set my bios in following modes:

cpu/mem/pci
066 066 033
100 100 033
100 133 033
133 100 033
133 133 133

and some other more obscure modes.

Any mode with the cpu at 133mhz won't work. Well, will work in windows, just not with games.

Please help? :(

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, nice board, how much did you pay them to remove the AGP slot! LOL. OK, well, you've probably got a power problem. I take it you have a micro ATX case and some crappy off brand 150W power supply or something?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Ramses100

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Heh, the computer was bought for budgettary reasons ;) And this motherboard, with onboard everything was the cheapest best solution. The lack of an agp slot is a downside, i know. ;)

As for the powersupply, I aint too sure. I'll check it as soon as I get home. Can you give me some hints as what to look for? I take it the label on the powersource displaying the output wattage?

Ramses

Ramses100

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Right, I checked the case and powersupply. The case is a home line atx midi tower, supplied by alternate. The powersupply in it, is a skyhawk ctx-230wce, which SHOULD provide 230 watt.

Ramses

Nothing is impossible, only mathematically improbable.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, I hate to break it to you, but you paid for onboard graphics instead of an AGP slot, and now you're stuck with inferior PCI graphics because you got the onboard graphics instead of the slot. Plus the PCI card usually cost more than the AGP card, so you ended up spending more instead of saving. I don't have a lot of faith in your power supply, but I'm not sure it's the problem, it could be a buggy board or buggy memory.

Ramses100

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Hmm, well, it is my fault for buying the wrong stuff. But neither board nor card manufacturer say that running this or a card with a fsb of 133mhz is impossible. The memory is pc133 and runs fine.

Ramses

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Are you sure the memory is running fine at 133MHz? I mean, there are obviously no "compatability" issues, which only leaves defective hardware! Most likely reasons for your computer to crash at the higher bus speeds are memory crashing due to defect, or anything crashing due to low or unstable voltage.

Ramses100

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
As I mentioned before, I can do various seetings in my bios. I can set several configurations for cpu/mem/pci speed. As long as the hardware allows it, and I don't screw up the embedded pentium 3 multiplier (which is 5 in this case) the computer will work. Hence, currently my configuration is cpu/mem/pci: 100/133/33 and that way, the card does work okay with games. But if set on 133/133/33 it won't.

Another weird thing, is that halflife does work at 133/133/33. Maybe because this is an older game? Coz James Bond Nightfire and Hitman 2 sure as hell don't.

Ramses

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
But you see, it's the 33 part that runs the PCI bus. That's why I'm so determined that it isn't your card. 100/133/33 working would also suggest it's not your memory. But when you increase clock speed, you also increase power consumption, which leads me back to your power supply. The card itself uses more power when you're playing games, it is very likely that the combination is making your power supply unstable. Voltage fluctuations are very likely to cause the types of problems you're seeing.

Ramses100

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
Okay, good, we are getting somewhere. How can I limit powercomsumption on my computer? Does disabling devices help? Or removing the cd-rom and floppydrive? Or can I maybe measure/log the powerconsumption using a software utility.

Ramses

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can't measure the current with software, but your board might have come with a program for monitoring voltage. Any low current will cause the voltage to drop.

If you're playing games from CD, transfering one to the Hard Drive and running it from there instead MIGHT make your system more stable, but then again it might not. This is because the 12v "rail" and the 3v/5v "rail" are different parts of the supply.