Strange VPN behavior

I am experiencing some strange VPN behavior. I have several different VPN
connections I use for multiple office locations.

When connected to one office VPN, I can surf the internet, download email,
etc. while connected. With another VPN connection, I am unable to surf
outside the VPN connection to do anything outside of the actual VPN
connection.

We have multiple computers in one office that can surf the internet and
download email while connected via VPN to the main office server, yet we have
another computer in the same office, with apparantly all other setting the
same, that cannot get outside the VPN tunnel to do anything else.

Is there a system setting or something that I can check to determine what
causes this? All machines in question are XP Pro OSs.
3 answers Last reply
More about strange behavior

    You have the problem with "split tunneling" on your
    firewall - some firewalls do not support this when used
    with PPTP/L2TP (Cisco PIX) you can fix this by using
    their VPN Client or have a network administrator
    configure properly your company network (subnets), but it
    could be also fixed by simply following those steps:

    1) VPN Connection - Properties
    2) Networking
    3) Internet Protocol TCP/IP - Properties
    5) Uncheck -"Use default gateway on remote network"
    6) After connection is established you will be
    assign an IP address within a certain range (VPN IP).
    7) Then go to a command prompt (run cmd) and issue
    this command:
    "route add 10.10.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0 11.10.1.1"
    Where [10.10.1.1] remote NAT IP, make sure that a Subnet
    Mask is correct, and [11.10.1.1] - is the VPN IP.

    In case of your PC at work - Check how the network is
    configured. And get a good Network Administrator.

    Leon,

    Thanks for your suggestion. As you indicated, unchecking the "Use default
    gateway" button allows me to simultaneously connect to the internet and make
    the VPN connection. However, once I use this setup, I can no longer map the
    drive on the server I am connecting to. As soon as I recheck the box, mapping
    works perfectly.

    Any suggestions on how I can map the drive AND uncheck the "Use default
    gateway" option?

    "Leon" wrote:

    > You have the problem with "split tunneling" on your
    > firewall - some firewalls do not support this when used
    > with PPTP/L2TP (Cisco PIX) you can fix this by using
    > their VPN Client or have a network administrator
    > configure properly your company network (subnets), but it
    > could be also fixed by simply following those steps:
    >
    > 1) VPN Connection - Properties
    > 2) Networking
    > 3) Internet Protocol TCP/IP - Properties
    > 5) Uncheck -"Use default gateway on remote network"
    > 6) After connection is established you will be
    > assign an IP address within a certain range (VPN IP).
    > 7) Then go to a command prompt (run cmd) and issue
    > this command:
    > "route add 10.10.1.1 mask 255.255.255.0 11.10.1.1"
    > Where [10.10.1.1] remote NAT IP, make sure that a Subnet
    > Mask is correct, and [11.10.1.1] - is the VPN IP.
    >
    > In case of your PC at work - Check how the network is
    > configured. And get a good Network Administrator.

    Your work network is behind firewall has an IP ranges,
    let assume your work network uses range 192.168.4.2
    through 192.168.4.254, when you establish a VPN
    connection you would be assign a IP 192.168.9.4, so what
    do you have to do now is go to a command prompt and issue
    the following: route add 192.168.4.0 mask 255.255.255.0
    192.168.9.4

    I hope this would help.

    Leon

Routers Connection VPN Office Networking