Sign in with
Your question

9700 Framerate Problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 31, 2003 1:20:37 PM

I'm having some serious problems with a Hercules 3D Prophet Radeon 9700 I've been lucky enough to get my hands on. I'm getting *seriously* low framerates in a lot of games, in particular DAoC. I've seen a lot of other comments around from others who've had this or a similar problem, but haven't so far encountered a fix. I've heard that WinXP can limit refresh rates too, is this the possible culprit?

Admittedly I've plugged it into an older machine (specs below), that is getting upgraded one step at a time (unfortunately control of which component I get next is sometimes outta my hands!) but it performs substantially worse than my old GForce2 32mb, which had very few probs.

I've tried both 2.5 and 3.0 versions of the catalyst drivers, 3rd party WinXP framerate de-limiters, changing refresh rates in WinXP, disabling VSync and more and still no joy.

Help! It's really becoming very irritating! Any advice appreciated!

AMD Socket-A Athlon900
Abit KT7 mobo
512mb PC133 SDRAM
WD1200JB
Videologic Sonicfury
Yamaha CRW-F1
January 31, 2003 6:32:27 PM

well i to had that problem, so what i was told to do, i will try and remember and tell you!!
firstly, have you formatted the hard drive and started all over again? that is a really big help as i was scoring less than my girl friends geforce 3 ti 200 in unreal 2003.. i was not a happy bunny..
secondly, make sure that you have all the drivers installed for the motherboard, i know the kt7a and they are great, but they are only great when you have setup it up right.. im not saying you havent, but its normally a cause of problems.. remember tweaking that bios helps as well.. its great when you notice differences!!
what operating system are you using? i did use 98 and now i have xp.. i must admit, xp not being as fast as 98 with the same setup (xp1800, 512ddr, gigabyte 9700 pro, kr7a) but i think its a little more stable. but i prefer speed so.. i wish i had stuck with 98 to be honest..
the older machine wont help matters, but believe me, when you upgrade it and get that 9700 working, its nothing short of a mircle..
its a great graphics card dont you think? looks wise?
oh quick check, have you got any of the aa or af settings on? that will kill the performance i can tell you! oh i would download something from rage3d.com, its the tweaking tool that i use for the 9700 pro, i would give it a shot and see what you think.
i hope you have better luck with some of this info! i hope it works out!

if all else fails... kick it and if it goes wrong, say it wasnt you...
February 2, 2003 9:27:08 PM

Thanks for the advice - It's far too late for me to go through reformatting now at midnight, but i may do that if its absolutely necessary. I'll look into the tweak program at rage3d and mess with the settings some more, but I really feel there is something fundamentally wrong at some level.

It does look such a great card and I want to get it working well soooo much - I'll certainly be continuing to try and get the damn thing working sweetly....
February 3, 2003 4:47:50 PM

i would say that the format would really help the thing go..
it worked with me when i was having problems running unreal 2003.. it was slower than my girl friends geforce 3 ti 200!!! i was not happy!
but it worked for me, id just give it a go..
i think that you will find the rage3d program a good one to have and it will increase the score, especially when you over clock the card.. just it as high as you can :)  mines goes to 380/340 (at best and when it wants to other wise it goes to 378/335 which im not to happy about, but life goes on!
i wish you all the best! it really is worth getting it working.. im sure you will love it :)  i know i do

if all else fails... kick it and if it goes wrong, say it wasnt you...
!