Looking for a Netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa-Poto

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Hello forums. I'm looking for a netbook to carry around school and to travel with. I would like to play older games on it, so I was considering the netbooks with the e350 and e450 processors. So far, I can only seem to find the e350. Any suggestions and links to deals would be greatly appreciated.

1. What is your budget? Under $450.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Less than 13 in.

3. What screen resolution do you want? Best available.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable.

5. How much battery life do you need? 2+ hours of active use.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? Yes. I'd like to play old games like dawn of war 1 on it if possible. This isn't the main reason for the netbook though, so I'll just end up playing any games that run on it.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? Typing and surfing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? More than 100gb.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3+ years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? None.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I'd prefer to not get an hp. My last laptop was an hp and stopped functioning right after the warranty ended. I took it to a repair shop to see if it could be fixed, but they weren't able to. They also showed me their huge collection of dead hp laptops. I could be convinced otherwise though.

13. What country do you live in? USA.

Solution
Thinkpads are very solid. The s205 ideapads are built very nicely, but not as good as the thinkpads. As you can see, you get what you pay for. If durability ranks high for you, then I'd say go for the thinkpads. I'd use the extra savings to get myself a nice steak dinner.

P.S. Keep in mind that the x120e doesn't have an option for E-450 yet.

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I meant to say as long as you don't have high expectations like having 1920 x 1080 or IPS panel, you should be fine. It actually plays Left 4 Dead 2 on Med/Low settings and Portal 2 on Med setting (w/ somewhat noticeable mouse lag), so I think you should be able to play Dawn of War 40k (I love that game btw) without too much problem.

Oh, you need to get an external CD/DVD reader if you plan on loading it from a disc.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
A really solid Netbook in your price range would be this:
http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/laptop/thinkpad/x-series/x120e/

Look around and you can find deals.

Note: The x130e will be coming out soon and have the e450 instead of the e350.
No more details, but it may be in your price range as well.

Papa-Poto

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Thanks zenmaster. I've been looking at the lenovos all day now, and I'm having trouble deciding between the ideapads and the thinkpads. Without holding them and trying them out, it's tough to make a decision.

Papa-Poto

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
It seems like everyone raves about the "build quality" of the thinkpads. I'm assuming that is its overall reliability. Are the ideapads considerably less well built? Also, I've read in several places that the asus laptops are also pretty nice. Do you guys think the asus 1215b is better or worse than the lenovos? And do you think the ideapad deal for $419 is worth jumping on right away? It'll expire soon.

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Thinkpads are very solid. The s205 ideapads are built very nicely, but not as good as the thinkpads. As you can see, you get what you pay for. If durability ranks high for you, then I'd say go for the thinkpads. I'd use the extra savings to get myself a nice steak dinner.

P.S. Keep in mind that the x120e doesn't have an option for E-450 yet.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.