socket?

in cmd i typed ipconfig/renew and this message came up : An error occurred
while renewing Interface Local Area Connection: An operation was attempted on
something that is not a socket.

A guy from linksys told me it was somehting wrong with xp? socket problem?

Perhaps it is because you left out a space. The command should be ipconfig
/renew, AFTER you've used ipconfig /release.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

"CaseyB12088" <CaseyB12088@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> in cmd i typed ipconfig/renew and this message came up : An error occurred
> while renewing Interface Local Area Connection: An operation was attempted
> on
> something that is not a socket.
>
> A guy from linksys told me it was somehting wrong with xp? socket problem?

Assuming that Chris H.'s advice is not the problem, try downloading this
app:

http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip

It will do the following:

1.) Detect your current Operating System
2.) Release the IP address, taking you "Offline"
3.) Reset the TCP stack using Netsh.exe (Windows XP only)
4.) Delete the current Registry TCP and Winsock Values
5.) Import new "Working" Registry Values
6.) Backup any Current "Hosts" file
7.) Replace the "Hosts" file with a default one
8.) Reboot the Computer

This error usually occurs because of spyware.

Cheers!

Jim

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Perhaps it is because you left out a space. The command should be
> ipconfig /renew, AFTER you've used ipconfig /release.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
> Associate Expert
>

> "CaseyB12088" <CaseyB12088@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> in cmd i typed ipconfig/renew and this message came up : An error
>> occurred
>> while renewing Interface Local Area Connection: An operation was
>> attempted on
>> something that is not a socket.
>>
>> A guy from linksys told me it was somehting wrong with xp? socket
>> problem?

On Windows XP the download is unnecessary. On an XP SP2 machine, simply go
to Start/Run and type in "netsh winsock reset" without the quotes, then
click the OK button. On XP prior to SP2 use "netsh int ip reset [logfile
name]" again without the quotes. Either can be also run from the Command
Prompt.
--

"Jim Cofer" <lvbfan@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Assuming that Chris H.'s advice is not the problem, try downloading this
> app:
>
> http://www.tacktech.com/pub/winsockfix/WinsockFix.zip
>
> It will do the following:
>
> 1.) Detect your current Operating System
> 2.) Release the IP address, taking you "Offline"
> 3.) Reset the TCP stack using Netsh.exe (Windows XP only)
> 4.) Delete the current Registry TCP and Winsock Values
> 5.) Import new "Working" Registry Values
> 6.) Backup any Current "Hosts" file
> 7.) Replace the "Hosts" file with a default one
> 8.) Reboot the Computer
>
> This error usually occurs because of spyware.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Jim
>

> "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Perhaps it is because you left out a space. The command should be
>> ipconfig /renew, AFTER you've used ipconfig /release.
>> --
>> Chris H.
>> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
>> Associate Expert
>>

>> "CaseyB12088" <CaseyB12088@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> in cmd i typed ipconfig/renew and this message came up : An error
>>> occurred
>>> while renewing Interface Local Area Connection: An operation was
>>> attempted on
>>> something that is not a socket.
>>>
>>> A guy from linksys told me it was somehting wrong with xp? socket
>>> problem?

Or sinply under My Network Places - Properties, select
broken connection - right click - Repair. And dont listen
to a linksys ts or you will go bold ;)