Nvidia Countersues Intel on License Agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
This is stupid, and if we learn from history many times before. Any organization or countries who tries to fight two enemies at once, is that they usually fail. Look at Nazi Germany. They were fighting the Russians and the rest of the Allies.

So it is stupid for Intel to do this and this makes consumers lose confidence in them. I already lost all confidence in Intel. The only systems that run Intel in my household are desktop. Only laptops have Intel chips now.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
well intel fanboys look at what you take side ... if you take nvidia/amd away you`re so beloved Intel will soon skyrocket everyprice from now on.

Aerobernardo

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006
Some AMD's chicks just do not have a memory... The Clawhammer (Athlon FX57 remember?) Was just as expensive as Intel is now. Take the lead and kill our pockets. Amd isn't a saint for god's sake!!! And once again: I OWN AN OPTERON! And I own it not because I fell it's the right thing to do for the world, but because it wasf damm fast and furious in S939. If AMD can't do it once again don't count on me

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]well intel fanboys look at what you take side ... if you take nvidia/amd away you`re so beloved Intel will soon skyrocket everyprice from now on.[/citation]

People didn't know. I was an AMD fan, but their ability to make good CPU's basically died so I went Intel for better performance. Now Intel is being a real bitch, I regret my purchase for that reason, but it still gives me good performance, so I'm not going to stop purchasing good products.

Intel "Fanboys" deserve NO bashing, at all, they did not make Intel become such a bitchy place. They did not cause Intel to try and kick all other companies away.

So don't go trying to make them feel bad for their choice, their choice is purely logical.. Intel = faster CPU, Faster CPU = Better performance, Better performance = Happy

MosportMike

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Intel keeps digging itself a bigger hole. With anti trust cases looming you would think they would settle this crap out of the view of the public. Thank god AMD has got their act together and is now run by competent people... I will never buy an Intel product ever again. Not a fanboy of either btw... I have both Intel and AMD rigs.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Honestly i am an AMD fanboy, for one reason only.

I could count on AMD so i can build a cheap enough rig, or a fast enough rig (bang fer buck). Last Intel i had was a 2xXeon 2.8Ghz. It was really stable, but not fast.

I still consider them very good CPUs, but honestly, i prefer to spend 150€ on a PII 720 and Crossfire soemthing. Or get that 8Gb of Ram. We are all under budget mates. Well some of us are.

My next build will be an AMD, not because Intel does it worse, btu because for the price point and total shiny things offered, AMD gets my buck.

But Intel has been a real bitch lately. I would like Nvidia make them pass a hard time. And AMD/ATI for that matter. Intel is already big, doesn't need to push nobody around.

vh1atomicpunk

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Competitors are going to trash talk and attempt to dominate the competition at every turn. Nvidia forcing the purchase of a hardware bridge to enable SLI on third party chipsets (when not physically necessary to run SLI) is an example. AMD lobbying trade commissions to bring anti-trust suits against Intel is another. And Intel attempting to disallow future Nvidia chipsets for their CPU's is another. All these companies are doing it, and they all do it to attempt to gain an edge over the others. What's new or different here? Let the courts decided the B.S. Go with who offers the best package for your needs.

ph3412b07

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
when it comes down to it, the semiconductor industry needs competition. Intel obviously doesn't have a great track record when it comes to business ethics. You get the nice clean fabs in California, then go to third world countries and see another side of Intel factories. Anyway, my point is that competition breeds innovation and price cuts.

nao1120

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Ya, things don't look so good for Intel. Wah wah, there's competition so lets find reasons to sue. Maybe instead of bonus' they should hand out bottles.

If there is a company legitimately breeching contracts, then yes, file one by all means. This is old news. And good for nvidia for finally saying, "so sorry, we won't take this."

I've personally supported both amd/nvidia/ and intel in various rigs. But i've always been happy with all 3, however, amd has always had my support with the current rig at least having a ATI graphics card.

I agree that this is bad pr for intel. And instead, they should work to "remedy" the contracts, instead of filing suits.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]People didn't know. I was an AMD fan, but their ability to make good CPU's basically died so I went Intel for better performance. Now Intel is being a real bitch, I regret my purchase for that reason, but it still gives me good performance, so I'm not going to stop purchasing good products.Intel "Fanboys" deserve NO bashing, at all, they did not make Intel become such a bitchy place. They did not cause Intel to try and kick all other companies away. So don't go trying to make them feel bad for their choice, their choice is purely logical.. Intel = faster CPU, Faster CPU = Better performance, Better performance = Happy[/citation]
sorry but most of the guys i know personaly go for intel because Intel owns high end computing but they buy Intel CPUs that are in mid range ... they love the company because their top end CPU is way above AMD even thow they buy an Intel CPU that performs in the range of other AMD products ;) to those kind of ppl i was refering.

G

Intel are a stereotypical evil corporation, unless their top exectutives are replaced with people that don't suck at life(removing that Israeli fab that's built on stolen land would also be a good start), then I won't buy their products ever again, period. AMDs only mistake was resting on their laurels, although I feel they should be cut some slack, because that was a rare time in their history when they were actually profitable. Both AMD and ATI have been on fire lately, and I don't believe for a minute that they'd make those same mistakes again.

mrcheesle

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
[citation][nom]deltatux[/nom]This is stupid, and if we learn from history many times before. Any organization or countries who tries to fight two enemies at once, is that they usually fail. Look at Nazi Germany. They were fighting the Russians and the rest of the Allies.So it is stupid for Intel to do this and this makes consumers lose confidence in them. I already lost all confidence in Intel. The only systems that run Intel in my household are desktop. Only laptops have Intel chips now.[/citation]
What about the US fighting Germany and Japan at the same time in two seperate theatres instead of just one? Just saying... When it comes to contract law, wording is everything. Intel will set itself up for a monopoly anyways if they have their say, then come the anti-trust lawsuits (wait don't they already have one?).

christop

Distinguished
Is Intel scared or something... Let the other company's at least try to compete... I hope they all stick around.. They will push each other to make a better chip.. The end results would be we would win by getting better technology...

hey, wen is VIA going to sue Intel now, lol

now, away from the jokes, if and i mean IF Intel really did breach their contracts with both AMD and NVIDIA, then. this could be bad for Intel users, no company = no support, but, then again we don't really know what is going on for sure anyways. I just hope it gets settled, don and over with, move on and continue to compete with each other W/O lawsuits

G

@mrcheesle

What about the US fighting Afghanistan and Iraq at the same time? Not good results there huh? Just saying.

Back to the main issue Intel is bitching because its monopoly is being threatened in two fronts. One one side it sees the best-bang-for-your-buck that AMD is, on the other side it sees a threat to its Atom platform by a better solution from nVidia plus their ability to produce better integrated graphics than what Intel can, so of course Intel will defend itself to the death.

I believe that instead of wasting time and money fighting with AMD and nVidia, Intel should use the resources to produce better quality products, or at least give the impression that their products are better. Just look at what Apple is doing. Macs aren't necessarily better than PCs are, however they can sell at the prices they want because instead of fighting with Micro$oft (at least not at the same level as Intel is doing now) they have been busy making their computers look like gold.

My two cents.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]agaijn soem oen else that is TOTALLY WRONG amd chips didnt magicallystart sucking , god itnells top only beats amd's top by 30% at most ... is that extra 25-30% really worth 800 dolalrs mroe , cos that is teh price difernce with intel's top chip adn amd's top chip , as for the middle and low end chips AMD"S ARE JSUT AS GOOD AS INTEL"S MIDDLE and LOW ENDS !!!!!!!!!! onbly diference is AMD"S ARE CHEAPER IN PRICE. sayign amd ahs lost teh ability to amke good chips , jsut because they arn't at number one right now ... is about the dumbest thing i ever heard any one say.[/citation]

For one, no one has said AMD lost the ability to make good chips. AMD put themselves in their current situation. Intel played it smart and invested more into research then AMD and came out with better technology, and faster, then AMD. I don't feel bad for AMD because it was them that slacked off when they had their X2's out. It was them that decided to buy out ATI and slow themselves down in an exponential market.

I am still hoping AMD whips out very powerful products, their current line is decent, don't get me wrong.

As for Intel, well, I hope they're put back into their place soon. They annoy me with their constant lawsuits because they don't want competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.