Sign in with
Your question

Trying to load Win7 on new build

Last response: in Windows 7
June 8, 2010 9:18:50 PM

First, sorry if this was covered in another topic that I didn't see. If you can point me to a thread I overlooked for my answer please feel free to do so.

So I'm putting together my first build. I have just about all the components rounded up ('cept the ram which is on it's way--hopefully today). I bought Windows 7 Professional yesterday (online) and they sent me two downloadable links--one is an .iso file and the other is a .exe file.

I opted out to not get the Windows 7 disk kit. I realize now maybe that was a mistake. Can I just burn the .iso file to a CD and effective use that in place of the disk I would just normally use out of the box? The microsoft tech support woman I was talking too sounded extremely unsure, but said that it could be done with the iso file.

Thanks in advance for humoring my brainless question.

More about : load win7 build

a b $ Windows 7
June 8, 2010 9:38:15 PM

yes burn an ISO to a disk, if you have the space Archive the D/L, there are a bunch of free burner programs that will do it if you don't have something already, Star Burn, Dameon Tools, Amok, InfraRecorder,and Final Burn, so take your pick
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 8, 2010 9:42:54 PM

Yes the ISO file can be downloaded and used to create a bootable DVD to install windows 7 - its only the licence key thats is unique (its actually the key you are paying for).

m
l
Related resources
June 8, 2010 9:55:26 PM

So I'm currently downloading the iso file right now. So if I'm understanding this correctly I can just download the .iso, copy and paste the file on a blank cd, write the cd, and then use this CD when loading windows on a brand new harddrive?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 8, 2010 10:00:40 PM

basically, yes, with a burner program that recognises the program as a ISO, the ISO file makes a bootable DVD, makes loading the OS a snap, 7 is too big for a CD
m
l
June 8, 2010 10:02:28 PM

Yes, just burn the .iso file into a DVD at the slowest setting, to avoid errors, and boot from the disk and begin installation.
m
l
June 9, 2010 4:11:48 PM

liveloveshare said:
So I'm currently downloading the iso file right now. So if I'm understanding this correctly I can just download the .iso, copy and paste the file on a blank cd, write the cd, and then use this CD when loading windows on a brand new harddrive?

No.

You can not copy the iso to the disk. It is an image of what needs to be burned to the disk.

Save the iso file. Burn the dvd using "create from iso" or whatever your program says...
m
l
June 9, 2010 4:38:20 PM

liveloveshare said:

That will not work. If you copy the ISO file itself to a DVD you won't be able to boot from it.
Use any of the programs listed above or Imgburn. You have to open it, locate the file and then the program will burn it to the disk making it usable
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 9, 2010 5:24:46 PM

I don't know what happened to my other post to you, get Ultra ISO it's free, and burn the ISO to the USB, make the USB "BOOTABLE" one of the options when you open the program, boot from the USB, don't know why the other post never made it, sorry about that
there is a Sticky at front of this forum that tells you how to make a bootable USB Win7 installation
m
l
June 10, 2010 12:26:41 AM

Hello liveloveshare,

Honestly, I would go with a flash so much faster and reliable....especially if you have the ISO. I use USB flash drives all the time for OS install it works perfectly - lot faster and no DVDs to get scratched and damaged! :-)
You can download the USB tool for free and copy your Windows 7 ISO to the USB. Complete instructions can be found here:
http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool
Thanks,
John M
Microsoft Windows Client Team
m
l
June 10, 2010 9:59:31 PM

windows7guy said:
Hello liveloveshare,

Honestly, I would go with a flash so much faster and reliable....especially if you have the ISO. I use USB flash drives all the time for OS install it works perfectly - lot faster and no DVDs to get scratched and damaged! :-)
You can download the USB tool for free and copy your Windows 7 ISO to the USB. Complete instructions can be found here:
http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool
Thanks,
John M
Microsoft Windows Client Team

Well I did that but now it's telling me I need to do something called "Bootsect".

It says this can be downloaded from the microsoft website but I am not seeing it anywhere...
m
l
June 10, 2010 10:28:00 PM

Well... apparently this is a well known problem. So if you download the 64 bit iso on a 32 bit system you need this program Boosect.exe. And windows says such a thing exists under a really specific index (go through purchase history, click on your windows seven, click on additional downloads, download bootsect.exe).

However...

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=2010012508542184...

The issue is microsoft points you towards a solution, but only if you bought the software directly from the microsoft store. If you're a student then you get a discount from digital river. Using the search feature on microsoft's website turned up nothing useful.

Anyone know a workaround for this?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 11, 2010 10:17:35 AM

how many USB's you got? one for your new version of 7, one for UBCD(less then 1G), burn the ISO of UBCD to a USB, boot,wipe the drive and install 7, at this point , wiping the drive you'd be done yesterday
m
l
June 11, 2010 7:48:37 PM

Life's kind of funny...

Here I am complaining about all this and my girlfriend walks in the door last night with a laptop her parents bought her as a suprise. (we recently had both our computers stolen--no... no renters insurance)

Downloaded the .iso on her windows 7-64 bit OS, downloaded the Win7 USB/DVD Burn tool, loaded it on the thumb drive. Hopefully everything will work out tonight. I just need to pick up a moniter from best buy.

---------NOTE---------

I contacted microsoft tech support about this issue and they said it's a currently unresolved, outstanding problem with a few work arounds that need to be troubleshot over the phone. I didn't have access to a computer when I was talking to this gentleman but effectively said Microsoft would have to load/send a program that you can not find otherwise if you purchased your copy of windows from digital river (by way of The Ultimate Steal which is the student discount on Windows 7). If you find yourself in this position you need to call Microsoft and have them step you through it--or just wait for the CD. If you didn't order the CD then you're kind of up a creek.

What's more is Digital River was telling me to ship out the 'backup' copy of Windows 7 that you can opt out to buy for an additional $15.00 it would take 3-4 weeks. I'm sorry... what carrier are you using? Talked to a supervisor to ask for expediting and he said there was nothing he could do since it had already been 'shipped'. Not so thrilled with the hoop jumping I had encountered but se la vi.

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 12, 2010 1:31:18 PM

Good luck let us know what the file is and how it goes
BTW the link you posted has a workarround, long way arround, why did MSFT do this knowing people need this file?

here is the download, I'm in China, so the page is in chinese, use the blue button on the left, not much of a file 87K or so, checked the D/l with Avast and it was clean
http://www.4shared.com/file/21096766/27a5a727/bootsect....
m
l
!