Sign in with
Your question

need help fast!! please

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 1, 2003 9:10:19 PM

ok i orderd a graphics card for my new pc i am getting (which is also in order) but afterwards i noticed it needs a psu 300, the pc im getting Shuttle SB51G P4 Mini Aluminium Barebone system only gives out 200. The graphics card i am getting is
Hercules ATI 128MB DDR Rad 9700 Pro 8x AGP DVI TV-out Retail.

Though i have seen previous ati pro 9700 cards run on the shuttle system, this was the only one to say it needs a minimum psu of 300. saying that though one of my freinds said when he looked at ati's site that its 300 minimum to keep the system stable where there are many internal devices installed.

Being confused does this mean my little shuttle system will be able to use the beast of a card??? or does it mean my system is gunna explode when i turn it on?

i have till monday 9:15 uk time to cancel the graphics card order so i have little time... please please all i need to know is will it work on the pentum 4 based shuttle???

seeing as the shuttle will only have the stuff it needs i dont think it will have many devices to consume power.

the specs just incase u need them...

IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® 4 3.066GHz (533MHz) Hyper threading 512K cache Retail

Shuttle SB51G P4 Mini Aluminium Barebone system

512MB DDR333 PC2700 RAM (major brand)

120 GB Western Digital JB 7200rpm IDE 8Mb cache ATA100

LG Electronics I.T L1710B 17" TFT 1280 x 1024

Sony DVD DRU500A +RW/+R -RW/-R Retail Kit

Hercules ATI 128MB DDR Rad 9700 Pro 8x AGP DVI TV-out Retail

so i need will the herc card work with the shuttle system if u have one it would help me greatly.

ive talked enough allready with regards David.

Sharpshooter

shooting at a place near you!

More about : fast

February 1, 2003 10:35:34 PM

You will almost definitely have stability problems if you attempt to run all that on 200W. I'd use 350W-400W if I were you.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>
February 1, 2003 11:09:54 PM

holy crap dude

yeah! DEFINATELY get a 350watt or higher PSU. the Radeon9700pro has separate power connecters (2 extra o_O) so by this alone you can tell its a BEAST

you might be able to run with a 200 watt. but as soon as you play a game, youll probably end up freezing
Related resources
February 1, 2003 11:21:10 PM

Call Shuttle and Hercules tech support. They should be able to tell you for sure.

I know plenty of reviewers have tested 9700 Pro in the Shuttle boxes without incident. That doesn't mean it will work over the long run, though. Best make the calls.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>
February 2, 2003 1:40:27 AM

AAAOOOGAAHHH!!! Hot Damn, a P4 3.06G and a R9700 Pro in a SFF.. I wouldn't really count on it to run for too long...

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2003 3:19:02 AM

Why would you even bother with that crappy system, because some idiot who happens to write for THG told you to? Doing so would be a bad mistake. I've spent a lot of hours trying to talk people out of the bad ideas this guy puts into their heads. Why a mini PC? I mean, GOOD SOLID reasons? I'm certain the ATX or Micro ATX would suit you better in the long run. And with the power issue, probably in the short term as well.

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>
February 2, 2003 5:08:11 AM

Those little cases are cool if you're building an entertainment center or a game server that you either don't want taking up a lot of space or you want to be easily mobile.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>
February 2, 2003 5:21:14 AM

can u actually buy new psu's for the shuttle or are they there own make????? also its to take to my mates house 4 vs 4 laning ;) .

so now the question is can i buy a new psu for a p4 based shuttle or will it overheat or something. thanks again!

Sharpshooter

February 2, 2003 10:52:21 AM

AFAIK, I don't think you can. They're not standard ATX sive cause it's SFF.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...
February 2, 2003 2:31:06 PM

http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2002q4/shuttle-sb51g...

if u go on there u will see that pc is the same make but only slightly less powerfull then mine. so do u think seeing as he has 2.8ghz ill get away with 3hz ??? i could always go for the normal ati radeon 9700 pro as long as its ati.

so what do u think?

Sharpshooter

February 2, 2003 2:51:11 PM

i don't think there is any real difference in power consumption between the BBA 9700 pro and the third party ones.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]
February 2, 2003 3:02:52 PM

so does it mean it will work then?????????????

Sharpshooter

February 2, 2003 3:13:14 PM

i wouldn't go so far as to say that, i just mean that getting a different brand won't make it any more or less likely to work.it's a gamble.like you say, that example obviously works but your cpu probably consumes more power and not all psus that are the same model work the same.i'm sure i read a post crashman wrote somewhere about how low rated psus (i think it was in dells or something) sometimes can perform as well as much higher rated ones- is that right crashman?

February 2, 2003 3:20:52 PM

so what shall i do??? get a slower cpu?? like 2.8ghz or 2.6ghz but it wont have ht :( . or get a geforce 4 ti4600 ???? or as well get 512mb less of ram (its cheap so i thought 2 lots of 512 333mhz wouldnt hurt.

wat do u recommed i shall do then (except getting rid of the barebone system as i want a small mini tower...)

also i hate the way its so slow for ppl to post so if u want u can talk to me directly through msn at sharpshooter935@msn.com

Sharpshooter

February 2, 2003 3:52:04 PM

wouldn't like to make a definite recommendation coz of the risk involved.all i can suggest is that you search on google or somewhere for other examples of shuttle systems that people have reviewed with a spec close to what you want to build.if enough people have done similar things then you may want to take the risk.as for getting a ti4600, i doubt they consume that much less power (don't know for sure) so i doubt it would make all that much difference.same for slightly slower cpus-go <A HREF="http://www.sandpile.org/impl/p4.htm" target="_new">here</A> to see the wattage of each p4.unfortunately they don't list the 3.06 but if you compare the 2.8 with the 2.66 etc. you can guess.

February 2, 2003 4:11:06 PM

what some one told me was the minimum for a geforce 4 is 150... not entirely sure about that one. ive seen people use 2.5 to 2.8 ghz and geforce 4 - ati pro 9700 the guy with the 2.5 and geforce 4 said it ran very stable... saying that he also installed a audigy sound card but ill be using its on board sound.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what the hell ill get a full sized tower... ill post my next question in the motherboard forum thx for all ur help

Sharpshooter

February 2, 2003 4:36:48 PM

good choice. :smile:
less to worry about with atx.

a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2003 1:26:50 AM

You have gotten that completely wrong! Look at those things, would they look good in your home stereo rack? I think NOT. The absolute best choice for a home theater PC is a Micro ATX desktop case, as so many of these are made to LOOK LIKE HOME AUDIO equipement.

As for portability, I was just looking at a Micro Tower (a REAL micro tower, with the drives mounted normally) at NewEgg, that, if you laid it on it's side like the Mini PC, would only be 2 inches wider. Standing up, it's actually narrower. For that 2 inches, you get 2 more drive bays, 2 more slots, and a REAL power supply. Now, how much would that extra 2 inches hamper your portability? Not much. Weight difference? Probably less than a pound!

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2003 1:29:07 AM

Oh, and did I mention that a mini PC would be your WORST CHOICE for a home theater with so many Micro ATX cases looking like home audio equipement?

a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2003 1:29:53 AM

In case you missed what I said, a mini PC would be your WORST CHOICE for a home theater with so many Micro ATX cases looking like home audio equipement!

February 3, 2003 3:24:19 AM

sniffle...ok crashman...I'll go kill myself.....I'm sorry....

<pre>I'm so sorry</pre><p>
<pre>Please forgive me</pre><p>
<font color=red>
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2003 3:33:24 AM

OK, that will do! Thanks!

February 3, 2003 3:45:27 AM

Can you post some good links.

<font color=red>
a b U Graphics card
February 3, 2003 5:11:28 AM

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com&lt;/A> :smile:

!