Just curious. Considering the age (4 yrs.) of the above model and the
motherboard that would have been installed in it, what would be the
fastest/most sophisticated video card it would be able to handle? It still
has it's original Nvidia TNT2 M64.

Thanks.

Marilyn B.

Call spare parts at Dell, give them your service tag, and ask what all the
original purchase options were for the video card. You *can* look this up
on the net, but it takes a bit of time either way you go.

"Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> Just curious. Considering the age (4 yrs.) of the above model and the
> motherboard that would have been installed in it, what would be the
> fastest/most sophisticated video card it would be able to handle? It still
> has it's original Nvidia TNT2 M64.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Marilyn B.

I think the system supports 4x AGP. Plenty of those cards around. What do
you need "the fastest/most sophisticated video card" for in a 4 year old
system? If you truly need something state of the art then you'll have to
buy or build new.

"Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
> Just curious. Considering the age (4 yrs.) of the above model and the
> motherboard that would have been installed in it, what would be the
> fastest/most sophisticated video card it would be able to handle? It still
> has it's original Nvidia TNT2 M64.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Marilyn B.

The 4100 definitely only supports 4x AGP.

"schnoopy" <schnoopy@loopy.com> wrote in message
>I think the system supports 4x AGP. Plenty of those cards around.
>What do
> you need "the fastest/most sophisticated video card" for in a 4 year
> old
> system? If you truly need something state of the art then you'll have
> buy or build new.
>

> "Marilyn E. Burford" <burford@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
>> Just curious. Considering the age (4 yrs.) of the above model and the
>> motherboard that would have been installed in it, what would be the
>> fastest/most sophisticated video card it would be able to handle? It
>> still
>> has it's original Nvidia TNT2 M64.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Marilyn B.

That's a start, but potentially quite limiting. Given that the 4100 is a
Pentium III, it cannot accept a newer 1.5v AGP card, which limits the
possibilities to some extent. Some of the newer cards are dual voltage,
operating at both the older original 3.3v and the reduced 1.5v... Ben Myers