terminator1956

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Gainward to make a quiet GeForce FX Ultra
« on: January 31, 2003, 09:24:10 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE GAINWARD COMPANY , known to make very fast nVidia based cards, is going to surprise us again. We expect this PowerPack card will be faster than many cards but Gainward has some other things in mind.
Once more it has given a short and easy to remember name; GW GF FX PP MU 1000 P GS would be the initials or Gainward FX PowerPack! Model Ultra/1000 Plus "Golden Sample".

Gainward didn't try for its usual card modifications, it's simply going to use the same reference board designed for all nVidia partners. But it will do something about the cooling.

Most of the very few Geforce FX reviewed so far have suffered from an extremely loud cooling card on the system. I heard from a lucky person who is important enough to have the card that he, "was not able to play Unreal Tournament 2003 because of noise." Even with the speakers on. He just changed to back to the good old and shipping for almost six months now Radeon 9700 PRO.

Gainward will introduce two cards. The first is named the Gainward FX PowerPack! Model Ultra/1000 Plus “Golden Sample” that will be clocked at 500 / 1000 MHz. The second based on Geforce FX 5800 (non-ultra). This card should cost juicy €649 including VAT or £449 in the good old UK. It will be named the same except 1000 will be changed to 800 as that’s the speed of memory on Geforce FX. So it's the Gainward FX PowerPack! Model Ultra/800 Plus “Golden Sample” and this baby will cost you €549 on the continent or £389 in Blighty.

Gainward have promised to bundle some nice games but we are not aware of what at this time. We know it should be more than one title. You will get a Firewire and 5.1 sound card with Spdif and optical capabilities in this pack.

Gainward engineers in Taiwan, before they get their deserved week of vacation for Chinese New year, have been busy to making a low noise cooling solution. They were able to reduce the cooling system noise to only 7dbs. They claim the rest of the Nvidia reference design cards could be as high as 70db that is "the same level as a domestic vacuum cleaner". We don’t need to say more.

The Expert tool from their past card will be included but we don’t have any news at press time how overclockable these cards will be.

The warranty for the card is 36 months company says and the earliest worms should find them available after the second week of February.

How Gainward can make the card run as quiet as 7db knowing that heart beat is 10 db and rest of Nvidia partners will be from 60-70db remains mystery for now. µ
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7516

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Interesting. I am wondering how they did this, and what me sar thinking is perhaps some liquid cooling type solution where they use low rpm fan to cool? The question is does Flame get one of em sexy 1000 ultras and see if it can convert to quadro?

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

eden

Champion
Normally me or Svol would say "You have too much money", but I'll you to guess what...

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
Ok I truly believe a quieter geforce fx is possible but 7 db huh? I mean the flutter of a butterfly wings is about that range. Unless it has no fans then I say cool. Just hope that does not take up too much space and hope its detachable so I can mod it on to a r9700 just to see how far I can push it (if I win the lotto).

eden

Champion
IMO this is still all a scam.
No really, if a heartbeat cannot be hard, since when do we even have fans that spin like they were off?
I bet you could put your ear 2cm from it and not hear it. I dunno, maybe they brought it a huge 120mm fan on a massive gold plated HS, and put it at a measily 500rpm. Who knows, who cares! The thing WILL draw more heat, WILL burn a PCI card near it, and WILL cause hot running CPUs to burn!

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

nausicaa

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
i agree...if gainward has developed a way to cool the geforceFX with only 7 db noise level...they would be bragging and touting their sollution. this would be a huge triumph and would not be rumoresque as it is being spread now...it would be a loud shouting of marketing fevror.
- nausicaa

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22270" target="_new">My System</A>

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
could it not just be like the 'ultimate edition' 9700 pro that sapphire do, only with a much bigger or more efficient heat pipe on it?

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Perhaps Gainward and NV have become so grand that they don't need to follow the laws of physics.

- Mario Andretti

eden

Champion
Perhaps they've reached new levels of silicon physics, and that the 7db comes from the CPU chip itself lol.

--

ad_rach

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2002
yeah.i don't understand how you can have 7db.to me it should be either 0db or a hell of a lot more than 7.surely any fan that only makes the same amount of noise as a bee farting must move the same amount of air, and therefore be completely pointless.

no matter how hard you try, you can't polish a turd. :]

dhlucke

Polypheme
What's the update? There's not a single bit of new info here.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
even if the hsf only produce 7db of noise, the high temperature of the core is till a concern, especially to overclockers.

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
Maybe they use some kind of inclosed paltier/water cooling combo and the pump makes 7dbs...

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

darcosys

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Hahahahaha, its really funny when you see how some people let their imagination go too far.
How the hell you think they go from 70dB to 7dB.
I can imagine that there are many spies from AMD,Intel,...etc and everybody else to see how Gainward made this magic.Imagine a cooler for AMD 4000+XP at lets say 8dB.hahahahaha. No,really.
Now as I read a second time update I didnt saw that 7dB noise is produced when FX is working in 3D mode or 2D mode. Its probably the noise you have after you shut down you PC. A special system are still working after so that your computer want be a tost when you come back.
Thank you for this update(joke) and if its true well my congratulations.Otherwise you can start write some Sci-Fi stories.

Remember "The more you live,the less you die".

dhlucke

Polypheme
It actually says the max noise is 7db.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Introducing the NVIDIA GeForceFX: The first Videocard designed exclusively for deaf people!</A></font color=red>

darcosys

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Ohhh, at max 7dB.Hahaha.So its noiseless when works in 2D mode.OK
Sorry to Nvidia funs , but this is really funny.
What we really forgot is all that things that are in FX chip. Nvidia wanted Cinema-like graphics on our PCs.I think its too early for that.Cause programmers are at least 3-4 years late. What nvidia should have done was make some kind of GF4 Ultra made in 0,13m tech and (over)clocked at 400Mhz. GeForce FX is the card of future. This is just first baby and i think is already passed away.You should think about next cards based on this technology.
Here.I think I was objective even I am AI fun.

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Here's the full press release from Gainward. It seems to be real and not just a typo, and will be shipped at the end of Febuary. The price is exhorbant though.

<A HREF="http://www.gainward.de/gwnewsite/gweurope/gwcontent/gwgcnepress/03_01_E_GF_FX_5800.htm" target="_new">http://www.gainward.de/gwnewsite/gweurope/gwcontent/gwgcnepress/03_01_E_GF_FX_5800.htm</A>

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
i bet they just send you a 10gig ethernet connection and broadband connection to a gfFX farm they host.. or so..:D

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Still, there are secrets floating around this nutty video card. One nutty secret after another. They are successfuly keeping peoples intrests in the whats going on with it. Good marketing I suppose. I'm still laughing at the hype vs. performance ratio, they can start calling it a Golden Sample all they want. It's a Golden Stool Sample if anything. I saw the $100 dollar pre-order package for the FX at my local Best Buy store, and it says that there is an Nvidia tee shirt inside the pre order box...heh. I cant waite to see someone wearing one of those. The company is BFG Assylum, the same company that originated from the Visiontek/Nvidia scandle that some of you might have read about. I hope they go under. The entire birth of that company leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I was stoked to see Visiontek jump ship to ATI.

If someone with multiple personalities, threatens to commit suicide, is that a hostage situation?..xXZoomInstagibXx

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
If the comoyter industry was up to idiots like you, I doubt there'd be things like T&L for vid cards, etc. See the whole point is to move forward. It's really pointless imo if a company makes a vid card that is simple clocked faster and does not offer new features if older technologies are being used. I mean seriously, wtf, games wouldn't really improve in features rather we'd be able to run Q3 at a billion fps. The whole point of making a card that has advanced features is that IT CAN RUN ALL GAMES RIGHT NOW FINE AND WILL BE ABLE TO IN THE FUTURE. Also this gives programmers new stuff to work with and a direction to head the new game engines. Also realize that cases such as 3d s max, programmers will utilize these features asap. I would have slapped someone if the FX was a faster GF4 w/o anything new to offer.

- Mario Andretti

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I have a power supply with a fan in the 15db range, so I can imagine spinning that thing down to around 200RPM might do the trick. This could be done with a heat pipe assembly that wraps around the back of the card. Such devices for Radeon cards have no fans at all!

<font color=blue>There are no stupid questions, only stupid people doling out faulty information based upon rumors, myths, and poor logic!</font color=blue>

darcosys

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Well,you didnt catch my point.Of course there should be ALWAYS new features,but I still think FX is premature product.And of course we need this kind of products.Just,I see not enough DX8 games and we are talking about DX9. Now GeForce FX goes even further than DX9 specs,so honestly when you think that you will see software,games to use all those features.Just dont say DoomIII is around the corner.
It takes much much more than few titles to say for some technology that is mature.By the time you can get Doom3 and some more DX9 titles there will be already new Nvidia cards based on Fx technology without dust buster.And probably cheaper.So if you want to buy this kind of product,go,nobody stops you.Just be realistic.
And i am going back to my point of view,if Nvidia wanted to be in the race without humiliation that made all those tests of FX,they should go out with something between,faster than R300 and DX9 compatibile.
Voila!

davepermen

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
it was nearly impossible to convert dx7 code to dx8 (and espencially use all the new features, vertex/pixelshaders), so no games came out for dx8 that where planned for dx7. it was not worth the effort, you could actually just recode the whole game.
this is now different, dx9 is just an update of dx8, most stuff stays more or less the same, features just got more, and more advanced. so porting code to dx9 is easy, can be done in a week (making sure there are no bugs takes some time), and then you can go and for example code ps2.0 versions of the shaders and additionally load them. its quite manageable, and i think quite some companies who develop currently dx8 stuff with shaders will rewrite it for dx9.
this happens with doom3 (though, in opengl, but he writes for dx9 featured opengl extensions for the radeon and gfFX), this happens with the ut 2003 engine soon, and about all i know actually who code stuff with advanced features, they all develop now versions for r300 stuff.

i think first dx9 supporting games will be here rather soon..

but yes, the gfFX additional features are not standard dx features => they will not be used often..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit

www.google.com

dhlucke

Polypheme
Yes, but how much heat is the powersupply displacing compared to the FX?

I'm really interested in how gainward is doing this. If they really have a fan at 7db that can displace that much heat they should make a fortune from selling it to both Intel and AMD.

<font color=red>