Your question

mobility radeon 7500 performance?

Tags:
  • Performance
  • Mobility Radeon
  • Mobile Computing
Last response: in Mobile Computing
November 16, 2003 10:45:10 AM

can someone enlighten me on what level of performance can I expect from the Mobility Radeon 7500? Is it better or worse than the desktop 32MB GF2MX (the original one)?
I'm thinking of getting a notebook and I prefer the Dell Inspiron 5150 but since price is a factor I'm considering the 5100 as well.

:cool: :eek:  :redface: :frown: :lol:  :mad:  :eek:  :smile: :tongue: :wink: :evil: 

More about : mobility radeon 7500 performance

November 16, 2003 12:35:06 PM

Its actually quite a bit better than the GF2MX. It will score about 5000-6000 3DMarks in 2001SE, and maybe 700 in 3DMark03. It will play new games well enough, although not at highest quality level. It is quite a decent graphics card.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?
November 16, 2003 9:17:39 PM

Hi there.

I really do understand your budget concerns.
However I was in the same boat as you regarding laptop
choices. I would highly recommend you go for the 8600
and stop wasting time. The price difference is more, but not that much more, and the performance is considerably more than double, graphics wise, gaming wise. So in my mind the 8600 is far more cheaper in the long run as it will be good enough for the best games for the next couple years. And the 5100 or 5150 wont be.

If 3d games are just a bonus and you have a killer desktop, go for the 5100. But if graphics and gaming are priority you must go for the 8600 or you will be dissapointed. I do realise you didnt mention the 8600 in your post :-)

I will agree with Rapture, the 7500 will be fine for current and older games.

Its a tough decision, I know.

Hope I havent confused you too much

Opel Superboss, now that was a car!
November 16, 2003 11:09:51 PM

Thanks guys. You've been quite helpful.
Actually, where I live, the 8600 is indeed much more expensive. About 1k more. I don't know why but here in Malaysia they seem to offer top of the range products only. I'm not much into gaming but it would be nice to have that option available.

:cool: :eek:  :redface: :frown: :lol:  :mad:  :eek:  :smile: :tongue: :wink: :evil: 
November 16, 2003 11:39:36 PM

Have not cared about 3D Mark ever, but I can play UT on my P3 1.13 with 7500/16 Megs quite well, so faster CPU would do even better with it. Playing DVDs and Divx;) top qualitee.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
November 17, 2003 3:28:37 PM

hey i'm malaysian too =)
IMO.. you would be better of getting the 5150 here... or the 8600

the 5150 cost abt RM500 more but u get the fx5600go(direct x 9 based) compared to the R7500(direct x 7 based)
the 5150 would outperform the 5100 graphics perfomance wise

besides, u get hyperthreading 3ghz p4.. and faster ram too(pc2700 on the 5150, while 5100 has pc2100)

oh yes... u get a sharper screen too.. sxga+ vs xga

all this for 500 bucks more..... its a good deal for me =)
November 17, 2003 11:12:50 PM

arrgghh i just missed out on a good deal. dell was offering a free upgrade to 512MB ram. shoot!
I think I'll wait a while longer and see. But I'm leaning towards 5100 since price has just become a priority.

November 18, 2003 7:07:07 AM

Hi Rapture. Do you have any experience with the ATI IGP 340M? Because I looked at the Fujitsu notebooks and they're really solid and well built. A bit hefty but feels reliable. How'd the IGP perform compared to the GF2MX? Thanks.

November 18, 2003 7:12:45 AM

LOL, there is no such thing as "free". You'll pay two times for the junky hardware you gonna get from Dell (or anyother), so don't feel that sad as it were Dell was doing something for you personally and you missed it, LOL. All they want is yer money that cover hardware, peopele that put it together and one more to make for other poor soul like yerself.

November 18, 2003 7:29:39 AM

You really hate dell don't you :) 
Well the price at that time was 4999. It still is but with less ram now. So to me it was free.

November 18, 2003 5:15:04 PM

...Careful, don't stand to close to blah, he bites.

Quote:
Do you have any experience with the ATI IGP 340M? Because I looked at the Fujitsu notebooks and they're really solid and well built. A bit hefty but feels reliable. How'd the IGP perform compared to the GF2MX? Thanks.

The GF2MX performs marginally better than the IGP, even the GeForce 2 Go performs better. The IGP is based on the Radeon (m4?) Chipset. It offers acceptable performance, and is a hell of a lot better than say SIS or Intel Integrated graphics.

RaPTuRe

November 18, 2003 11:41:39 PM

Thanks Rapture. I'm going to delay my decision a bit until after January hoping that the prices would drop.

November 19, 2003 4:23:16 PM

A wise decision. Prices are inflated during the festive season and tend to drop in January.

RaPTuRe

November 19, 2003 10:38:42 PM

really? I thought they tend to drop prices for christmas. Looks like there's no santa after all. :) 

November 20, 2003 8:12:02 AM

There is Santa, but he got so low on cash that after spending 2 months in debates with manufacturers they agreed to help him out with some poket money, so he can pull it off till next year (even though they asked him for interest repay ;) 

That's why you can see so much markup on "holiday" prices, it is "Santa's" tax.

November 20, 2003 11:26:24 AM

sigh santa's gonna have to file for bankruptcy soon and all his little elves will be unemployed.

on a happier note. I just called dell and they said they can still swap up the current freebies for the ram. And since I just got my finals results today and they were rather satisfactory I get to buy the 5150 instead of the 5100.
So woohoo!!!!

Mobile P4 3.06GHz with HT
512MB PC2700 RAM
combo drive
40gig HDD
15" SXGA+ TFT display
32MB GF FX Go5200 (not sure I want this but dell wouldn't
give me the Mobi Radeon 9000)

!